Liked
    0 times
    Renown Pictures September Newsletter & New Releases SHE KNOWS Y'KNOW . IMPACT / SERENA , GENTLE TRAP / HANGMAN WAITS

RENOWN B MOVIE FAN CLUB LETTER SEPTEMBER 2011
    Dear B Movie Fans
    We hope this newsletter finds you well. This months a busy month for Renown with Three exciting releases to tell you about and three for next month!
    Our new club bonus point scheme is working well, as you know all of you started collecting 1 point per each DVD purchased from August 2011, many of you are already well on your way to your 10th purchase and your free DVD! Remember from last month - Each time you make a purchase directly with us we will allocate the points to your account and when you reach 10 purchases we will let you know and you can select one renown release absolutely free! Purchases must be made direct with Renown and are accumulative from August 1st 2011, so you don�t have to buy 10 in one order.

Our first release for this month, is SHE KNOWS Y� KNOW another long awaited film starring Hylda Baker, Cyril Smith, Joan Sanderson and Joe Gibbons
    �Hylda Baker, one of Britain's greatest Music Hall comediennes, at her best!�
    Hylda Baker stars in this 1962 Eternal Films comedy. She plays the matriarchal mother of a working class family. She and her husband (Cyril Smith) have a bright but dull son. The Smallhopes a "middle class" family led by Joan Sanderson (Please Sir), have an attractive daughter, but things go astray � as they usually do in this situation. The film is set in the fifties with its coffee bars and earnest pop singers. Enjoy the class wars, a good slice of Britain in that era and Hylda strutting her stuff!
    Hylda Baker toured the theatres in the 1950s with her act that usually involved a particularly tall woman called Cythia. Hylda's most famous catchphrase was 'She Knows Y' Know'. Cynthia was usually a man in drag and was last played by Mathew Kelly.
    Hylda Baker would achieve further success later in her career when she starred as Nellie Pledge alongside Jimmy Jewel in the sitcom 'Nearest and Dearest' and alone (in virtually the same role) as Nellie Pickersgill in 'Not On Your Nellie' in the late 60s and early 70s.
    Directed by : Montgomery Tully
    Produced By: Maurice J. Wilson
    Renown�s Second Release for September is:

IMPACT & SERENA

The First Ever DVD release of these 1960's crime noir dramas as a special edition double bill

Both Directed By: Peter Maxwell Starring: Conrad Phillips, Ballard Berkely, George Pastell , Patrick Holt, Emrys Jones and Honor Blackman

�Entertaining little whodunnit....� Radio Times

Impact :Jack Moir (Conrad Phillips of William Tell fame), a newspaper reporter, is framed by 'The Duke' (George Pastell), a Soho racketeer against whom he has written a series of articles. Moir serves a two year sentence and then, with the help of his cell-mate, Charlie (John Rees), he lures 'The Duke' and his gang into Charlie's warehouse� A very good Butchers B feature that Conrad Phillips also co-wrote. Its also nice to see that Mike Pratt of Randall and Hopkirk is the detective in charge of the case. The film has good quality picture and sound following extensive restoration.

Serena: Scotland Yard Inspector Gregory (Patrick Holt), strives to solve the mystery of an artist�s wife found shot dead at an isolated Surrey cottage. The victim�s husband, suave Howard Rogers (Emrys Jones), becomes the chief suspect. The mystery takes a complex turn when Rogers goes to identify her, but due to the gunshot wound her face is unrecognisable. However, when he inspects her body for an acknowledged birthmark he realises the body is not that of his wife... This 1962 Butchers production demonstrates again how Butchers were able to put together a good British B movie with a modest budget. The cast is the reliable Patrick Holt, Emrys Jones and Honor Blackman already enjoying success in The Avengers and two years later was Pussy Galore in Goldfinger. Shot on location and at Shepperton Studios its a story of death and deception nicely directed by Peter Maxwell with some 'newsy' type pan and zooms. The Director of Photography was Stephen Dade who created some good stark atmospheres he went on in 1964 to be D.O.P. on Zulu.

The Third Renown Release for September is

The Hangman Waits / The Gentle Trap

The First Ever DVD release of these crime noir dramas as a special edition double bill Directed By: Charles Saunders and A. Barr-Smith
    Starring: John Turnbull, Beatrice Campbell, Spencer Teakle and Martin Benson

"Realistic Crime Drama..." Sandra Brennan - Rovi

The Hangmen Waits
    This 1947 semi-documentary style featurette shot around the news of the world press, is a story of grisly murders by a cinema organist. A fascinating film produced by Five Star Films using the mediums of the Press and the cinema. Good historic scenes of the News of the World Printing Plant and Victoria Station.

The Gentle Trap
    A 1960 Butchers production about safe cracker Johnny Ryan (Spencer Teakle) who after robbing a jewellers, is himself robbed by a rival gang headed by Ricky Barnes(Martin Benson). Barnes has also pinched Ryan�s girlfriend and she in turn has set Ryan up. However, Ricky�s dumb henchmen miss the diamonds on Ryan. With this �60,000 booty, he finds some refuge at a nightclub in the company of two sisters; the the kindly Jean (Felicity Young) and deceitful
    Mary (Dorinda Stevens).

Our EXCLUSIVE offer for our club members this month is
    She Knows Y� Know Normal Price �12.99
    Impact / Serena Double Bill Normal Price �14.99
    The Gentle Trap / Hangman Waits Double Bill Normal Price �14.99
    Total= �42.97
    MEMBERS ONLY PRICE FOR ALL THREE FILMS �30.00 With FREE P&P! (UK ONLY)
    That�s FIVE FEATURE FILMS for �6.00 each!

If you do not wish to buy all three films we can offer you a reduced price of She Knows you Know for �10.99 with Free Postage (UK Only) and Either Double Bill at �11.99 each and free postag (UK Only)e - Still a good saving!

Should you wish to take us up on this offer, please fill out one of the order forms attached and pop a cheque in the post made payable to Renown Productions Ltd to: Renown Pictures PO Box 592 Kings Langley, Herts. WD4 4DB.

Or call our order hotline now: 01923 290555 and order with one of our team direct.

Alternatively you can order at our webshop online just select The Members Only �30 September Deal Option in the webshop.

And finally our new newsletter section �Looking For��
    Mr B Brown of Huntington, Staffs is looking for The Steel Bayonet, 1957 with Leo Genn, Michael Medwin and Directed by Michael Carreras, a great�B� War movie made by Hammer Films and released by United Artists�
    Mr McGhee of St Helens, Merseyside is looking for Time Bomb an MGM film re-released in 1961 with Glenn Ford, sounds like an excellent film.
    And finally; Mr Gammage of Isle Of Wight is looking for Rome Express, made in 1932 starring Conrad Veidt again sounds like a great British film made at Shepherds Bush Directed by Walter Forde..can anyone help?
    Mr P Furnival of Coventry is looking for Violent Playground a 1957 Rank Release with a young David McCallum and No Road back a Gibralter Films release in 1957 with an unknown star Sean Connery! Sadly neither have ever been released but I am sure one of you may be able to help.

Next month we bring you : Night Caller IN COLOUR! When You Come Home with Bonus Feature Randle & All That, and Another Double Bill Black Rider / Glad Tidings!

Happy Film watching!
    Noel & Sarah

A UK Production & Worldwide Distribution Co & The Home of the British B Feature!
    Owners Of One of the worlds largest Independent film collections
    Now you can buy Renown titles on line! visit our online shop @ our website: www.renownpicturesltd.com
    Tel: +44 (0)1923 290555

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Sadly neither SERENA nor THE GENTLE TRAP are in their advertised 4:3 ratio. On Serena, if watched on 4:3 setting on a 16:9 TV you can clearly see narrow black bars where it has been squeezed into an additional matte to bring out a 'proper' picture in 16:9 mode.

In the hope that Renown had learned from the 'problem' with the formatting of SMOKESCREEN, I thought I'd give the new films a chance - indeed, I was thinking about building up my Renown back-catalogue. I am more than a little disappointed that my off-airs are still my better copies. What a shame.

Smudge

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    Sadly neither SERENA nor THE GENTLE TRAP are in their advertised 4:3 ratio. On Serena, if watched on 4:3 setting on a 16:9 TV you can clearly see narrow black bars where it has been squeezed into an additional matte to bring out a 'proper' picture in 16:9 mode.

In the hope that Renown had learned from the 'problem' with the formatting of SMOKESCREEN, I thought I'd give the new films a chance - indeed, I was thinking about building up my Renown back-catalogue. I am more than a little disappointed that my off-airs are still my better copies. What a shame.

Smudge
    Do the folks from Renown actually read anything on this forum?

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    Do the folks from Renown actually read anything on this forum?
    Indeed we just seem to get automated messages

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    The lady from Renown did respond to my post ref. BLIND DATE (which looked to me as though it had been shot through gauze!) offering a replacement, but I didn't take them up on it as I didn't think it would help. That and the fact that I was so mightily disappointed as this is a particular fave of mine and I had really looked forward to the release.

As I said, I had hoped they would learn after the comments about SMOKESCREEN, but alas not... I suppose I could return the films because they are not as advertised, and get the cash back.

Smudge

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    I have taken many of the Renown 'B Movie Club' offerings and I must say that I have found their product to be of the highest technical quality one could reasonably expect from what I imagine are 'private' restorations. The only error I have spotted that offended me was some blurb on the jacket of Blindspot which referred to the original not the remake. Also the people at Kings Langley (google the post code) I have had no problem with them and have been very helpful.

Senior Member Country: England paul kersey's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    I watched "The Hangman Waits" last night and found it to be a little gem. Renown were fair in saying that the DVD was perhaps not of their normal quality but justified it because of the historical interest. It is a strange film, made in a style that made it seem to be a lot older than it's 1947 production year. There was so much background music, it almost seemed as if it was a silent film.
    What made it interesting to me was that John Le Messurier had a small appearence in the film which seems to make it possibly his debut in films , he is not listed in the credits nor on the DVD sleeve notes. It was great to see how different the Police were portrayed, coming only 26 years before The Sweeney. Somehow I couldn't imagine Regan and Carter chasing a villain while standing on the running boards of a Police car.
    If you get a chance to see this film,which is coupled with "The Gentle Trap" starring Spencer Teakle (Who?), grab it. It's worth every penny!

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Spencer Teakle!!!

Spencer Teakle - IMDb

If you are a Renown fan he is in Cover Girl Killer and I have seen him in The Gentle Trap another B movie somewhere.
    Last edited by Bernardo; 02-10-11 at 12:02 AM.

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Pastry Time's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    I'm looking forward to When you come home along with the bonus film as well. Not to mention Black Rider with those great bikes in. Nice to see official DVD's of all these coming out in our lifetime.