Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    I am looking for the following title on DVD.
    Menace Unseen - 3 part TV Mini-Series starring Ian Ogilvy and Judi Bowker, shown on ITV in May 1988.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Liked
    308 times
    I am still looking for the above title i would be very grateful to anyone who could help me out with copys of any of the three episodes of Menace Unseen.

Liked
    308 times
    There are 20 images from Menace Unseen (featuring Ian Ogilvy) at Rex Features - Rex Features - Photographic press agency and picture library

Liked
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy farmer View Post
    I am looking for the following title on DVD.
    Menace Unseen - 3 part TV Mini-Series starring Ian Ogilvy and Judi Bowker, shown on ITV in May 1988.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    I will be obtaining a copy of Menace Unseen very soon, thanks to a kind Brit Movie Member.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy farmer View Post
    There are 20 images from Menace Unseen (featuring Ian Ogilvy) at Rex Features

Glad you managed to obtain a copy of this forgotten mini-series, billy. I've found many more images in Rex Features' collection (61 altogether). Included are stills of Paul Rogers and Victor Winding. There have been times when I've thought both of them were long dead but not according to their IMDb profiles. If they are alive, and hopefully in good health, Paul is 95 and Victor 83.

I know John Sessions of course, mainly as a comedian, but am otherwise unfamiliar with younger cast members like Colette Barker and Melissa Simmonds. The latter was in an episode of Inspector Morse I've seen a couple of times, however.

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    9 times
    Would love a copy if anyone could help.I have much to trade.
    Thanks.

Liked
    308 times
    Midnight Sheep, i will be glad to help you out with a copy of Menace Unseen, send me a pm if you are still looking.

Liked
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    Glad you managed to obtain a copy of this forgotten mini-series, billy. I've found many more images in Rex Features' collection (61 altogether).
    Thank you for the link cornershop, a lot of images (41) which i have never seen before, i can still remember Ian Ogilvy being interviewed on Anglia News (must have been 1987) when he was filming some of the series in the North Norfolk Countryside, i have now watched all three episodes of Menace Unseen, i found Menace Unseen to be a very good TV Mini-Series, cornershop, i will be happy to send you a copy of Menace Unseen (if you are interested in obtaining a copy).

Liked
    177 times
    Thanks very much for the offer, billy. I certainly am interested and will send you a private message in a moment. Looks like it won't be Unseen for much longer!

The series reunited Ian Ogilvy and Jennie Linden, who played Lord and Lady Windermere in an ITV adaptation of Oscar Wilde's play more than 20 years earlier.

Liked
    177 times
    I received your DVD-R earlier, billy, and look forward to seeing this series very soon. Thanks

(Glasgow) Evening Times preview, 3rd May 1988

I wish the 'paper's online archives for previous decades contained articles as clear as this:

Liked
    308 times
    [CENTER]I received your DVD-R earlier, billy, and look forward to seeing this series very soon. Thanks

(Glasgow) Evening Times preview, 3rd May 1988
    Glad to hear that you have received your copy of Menace Unseen, cornershop, i am sure you will enjoy watching all three episodes.

Thank you for the article (an article that i have never seen before), a very interesting read.

Liked
    177 times
    I did indeed enjoy watching Menace Unseen, billy, especially the last dramatic episode! John Sessions turned out to be a good guy although he still came across as a fairly sinister character. The only disappointments were that Jennie Linden didn't have much to do and Clarke Peters, who I know best as a singer, wasn't in the last episode.

If he was killed off I must have missed it, somehow, but it was a sad moment when he was attacked by some heavies in a car park. The only other time I've seen Clarke acting was in the David Essex film Silver Dream Racer, as part of the motorcyclist's team.

Funniest moment for me was when Ian Ogilvy goes to visit a masseuse, played by Melissa Simmonds, who has some important information about late business partner Andrew Ray (killed when his computer blows up early in the story). He gets an unexpected view of her and is too embarassed to look! That brought back memories ... from around the time this was filmed, as it happens.

Menace Unseen connections

All these items were featured in the show. I don't think I can screencap from DVD-Rs so maybe you can give it a go, billy?

In his office at work, hero Duncan Free (Ian Ogilvy) has a poster for the restored version of Fritz Lang's Metropolis (1984).

The rest can be seen in Duncan's 'futuristic' living room at home, where he has a life-size cardboard cut-out of Betty Grable:

One of the most famous pin-up posters in history I should think, from 1943. In the series Betty's costume is coloured red.
    Ian has at least one other cardboard Hollywood figure there. At first I thought Edward G. Robinson but is it Oscar Levant?

Could you provide a screencap, billy. Here are some pictures of Oscar in case you don't know him [An American in Paris]:

Margaret Gunning's House of Dreams - Oscar Levant

Also visible in that living room is this poster for another Siilent classic - D.W. Griffith's Intolerance (1916).

My favourite sighting, however, was a Belgian poster for the obscure Hollywood musical Somebody Loves Me (1952).

At the end, Ian watches a film with Judi Bowker - You Were Never Lovelier (1942), starring Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth.

All of which added to my enjoyment of Menace Unseen. Thank you for sending me a copy. I too hope it will get a proper DVD release.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 03-12-12 at 02:25 AM.

Liked
    308 times
    Cornershop, i am glad you enjoyed watching Menace Unseen (i enjoyed reading the above post), i will do screencaps of the three posters and the cardboard Hollywood figure that you have mentioned, and i will send them to you by email, at the start of episode three of Menace Unseen, Ian Ogilvy and Jennie Linden could be seen in front of Blickling Hall, North Norfolk - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blickling_Hall
    Last edited by billy farmer; 03-12-12 at 03:00 PM.

Liked
    177 times
    Thanks again for taking the time to do those screencaps, billy. I thought the main figure was more distant.

Ian has at least one other cardboard Hollywood figure there. At first I thought Edward G. Robinson but is it Oscar Levant?
    Clearly Oscar but I can understand why a fleeting glimpse would make me think of a young Mr. Robinson:

I can't find the actual photo but assume it's a studio portrait. Although he starred with Gene Kelly in An American in Paris,
    that other still is, of course, from Singin' in the Rain. It was Oscar who came up with the name 'Tinsel Town' for Hollywood.

I'll now post more of billy's screencaps at Posters in TV Shows, together with the discoveries I linked in my previous post.

Liked
    177 times
    Early production details in The Stage, 26th November 1987. Ft. Ian Ogilvy & Judi Bowker:

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    I don't suppose you might be able to make another copy of that, might you, Billy? Judi Bowker is actually a friend of mine (though I haven't seen her for a while) and she hasn't got one, so it might make a nice surprise prezzie... And of course, I wouldn't mind seeing it myself.

Liked
    0 times
    How is Judi Bowker these days Jack ? - we rarely see her on the small screen these days - but I have fond memories of watching her in both "Black Beauty" & "South Riding" where she played Midge Carne, alongside Dorothy Tutin & the late Nigel Davenport.

Has she's (effectively) retired from acting ?

Liked
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin C View Post
    How is Judi Bowker these days Jack ? - we rarely see her on the small screen these days - but I have fond memories of watching her in both "Black Beauty" & "South Riding" where she played Midge Carne, alongside Dorothy Tutin & the late Nigel Davenport.

Has she's (effectively) retired from acting ?
    Quentin C, perhaps the following Thread, will interest you - http://filmdope.com/forums/ac...-bowker-3.html

Liked
    4 times
    Not retired- just not getting the right kind of work!! She and her husband Harry Meacher spend a lot of their time acting at the Pentameters Theatre in nearby Hampstead, and they also make their own short films, mainly of a ghost, horror or dark fantasy nature, for DVD and blu-ray release through their own site. The last one I remember was CASSANDRA'S CLOCK. Judi is 61 now, and from photos, still looks every bit as beautiful and elegant as she ever did- but you know as well as I do how difficult it can be for actors of either gender, once they pass a certain age, to find work in this country...

However, I haven't seen either of them for about three or four years, so for all I know, they might have loads of projects on the go by now!! One can only hope. It must be that long ago because after we watched them perform their play, my friend Tina (who first introduced them to me years ago and knows them far better than I do) took me to a pub where we drank with her friend Bob Weston, ex of Fleetwood Mac- and he's been dead since 2012.

I must catch up with them, actually.

Liked
    4 times
    judi1.jpg

Here is a recent photo of Judi, for anyone who wondered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast