Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    While putting together the post for a thread of Wendy Hiller I thought about her outstanding performance in the title role of this film. I found this in a video collection in a library many years ago, and watched it several times. There are few first-rate film or television productions of Shaw's plays that I have found - with the exception of Pygmalion. This is slightly stagy and awkward as plays sometimes are when they are filmed, but that is a small flaw in my opinion because the cast is the ideal cast for a very good play.

The two leads are played by Hiller and Robert Morley as her industrialist father. There is a patronizing attitude in Shaw towards the Salvation Army which I find irritating, but Wendy Hiller is so radiantly idealistic and so moving when she starts to understand the painful things her father points out that she transforms the role. I cannot imagine two people doing a better job in those parts.

And the rest of the cast:

Rex Harrison
    Robert Newton
    Stanley Holloway
    Emlyn Williams
    Marie Lohr

A very young Deborah Kerr makes an appearance and Sybil Thorndyke also has a frustratingly small role as the General. She takes over the screen in her brief part and it is a shame to see her go so quickly.

I see that there is a Criterion DVD with this as part of a Shaw collection. Also - I didn't realize that it was filmed during the Blitz and Gabriel Pascal did not allow the bombing to end filming.
    Last edited by Nick Dando; 21-09-11 at 11:41 AM.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Have always loved Robert Morley's performance as Undershaft in that movie. Some crits think he made the character into a complete ass but I think he was perfect.

Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthrop View Post
    Have always loved Robert Morley's performance as Undershaft in that movie. Some crits think he made the character into a complete ass but I think he was perfect.
    Yes, agreed. Morley is slightly over-the-top, but that exaggeration is a part of who Undershaft is. Morley plays him as an extremely sharp, smart, shrewd character who is nobody's fool, but who also cares about his daughter. It is a difficult role to play because Shaw's capitalist is as much a symbol as a person. But Undershaft is a three-dimensional man, unlike say Mangan in Heartbreak House, and Morley defines the part. I can't imagine anyone else in it - although Charles Laughton played him on stage in the 50s. That would have been an interesting comparison.

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    I taped "Major Barbara" from TCM several years ago - a most excellent movie - especially when Torin battles it out with Robert Newton.

Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by torinfan View Post
    I taped "Major Barbara" from TCM several years ago - a most excellent movie - especially when Torin battles it out with Robert Newton.

Oh - so that's Torin Thatcher. I have seen him in other films. I should have included him in the cast list.

Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post
    Oh - so that's Torin Thatcher. I have seen him in other films. I should have included him in the cast list.
    Yep that's him - the one who looks like he wants to put Robert Newton through the ground like a thumbtack.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    And let's not foget Felix Aylmer, defying type-casting by playing a member of the servant class

Liked
    71 times
    I had to play that scene from the movie -

cue the fire engines