Senior Member Country: UK Paul Waines's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Not a T.V. show, but an advert for Famous Names Liqueur Chocolates. This advert featured Terry-Thomes who goes into a shop to buy the said Chocolates. The shop keep, played by Ted...... (the name escapes me at the moment) starts reeling off "famous names" "George Best, Harold Wilson, Bobby Moore", and so on.
    It was a great advert shown around the early 70's, obviously around christmas time. I've been trying to find this for years. Any help would be quite the ticket. Or even with any of Terry's other adverts, which seem to of disappeared.

Super Moderator Country: United States wearysloth's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times
    http://youtu.be/7_k4tzgLCO8
    Youtube has one for Birds Eye

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Waines View Post
    Not a T.V. show, but an advert for Famous Names Liqueur Chocolates. This advert featured Terry-Thomes who goes into a shop to buy the said Chocolates. The shop keep, played by Ted...... (the name escapes me at the moment) starts reeling off "famous names" "George Best, Harold Wilson, Bobby Moore", and so on.
    It was a great advert shown around the early 70's, obviously around christmas time. I've been trying to find this for years. Any help would be quite the ticket. Or even with any of Terry's other adverts, which seem to of disappeared.
    If you ever find the Famous Names ad Paul, please let me know!!
    See post #119 on the link... at least I can fill in the gap as to the name of the shopkeeper

http://filmdope.com/forums/br...ebs-ads-6.html

Liked
    29 times
    Ray Mort, well done that fellow. By the way, I do remember as Ray is reeling off the "Famous names" Terry turns to the camera and says " I come here every year for my Famous names liqueurs, and he insists on this idiotic little ritual" , he then goes on about how good they are, "with a little tot in everyone" then turns to Ray, and says " Don't bother to wrap"...

A great gem lost for ever. I did think I was on to getting hold of a copy once. I'd contacted the company who made the Chocolates, the managing director said he would look into it. I eventually heard back from him that a bunch of 16mm films had been found, and were going to forward them to their head office in London as they had equipment to view them. I offered my services, even saying I would pay for postage costs; But the high ups at London wouldn't allow it. After many calls to ask if they had viewed them. They eventually came up with the excuse, "we viewed one which was "just" a load of out takes from something we have no knowledge of, so never bothered with the rest".... And that was the end of that.

Some people are just far too busy and important...( sarcasm doesn't work well in print).

If I do ever come across a copy, I will post to the board... fingers crossed.

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    So near yet so far then, I hoped it might surface on one of those interminable '1000 Best' shows when they did one on TV commercials fairly recently but no alas Loved the ending of the Harveys ad when the shopkeeper stuffs the chocs in a brown paper bag, TT dryly comments "Oh don't worry about the gift wrapping"

Liked
    29 times
    Funnily, on about those 100 greatest ads etc. When I contacted Channel 4 (I think it was ) about Terry's ad, they sent a nice letter back saying they don't have it, but also stated that Paul Merton was also on the search for the Famous names ad... It does seem popular.

Member Country: Belgium Spiny Norman's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Actually I spoke to a collector recently who claims to have it, if you're still interested after two years...

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiny Norman View Post
    Actually I spoke to a collector recently who claims to have it, if you're still interested after two years...
    I for one certainly am!!!

Liked
    29 times
    Both of us...

Liked
    0 times
    Now I can't find the email?! Don't worry, it will turn up in one mailbox or the other.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiny Norman View Post
    Now I can't find the email?! Don't worry, it will turn up in one mailbox or the other.
    Found it! The email of the guy who claims to have it, I mean.