Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, trying to remember name of film which I saw in I think late 80s/early nineties. It may have been channel 4 I saw it on. It was set in the modern day in rural England. There was an air force base (possibly American) near by - there were shots of jets taking off/landing during the film. Concerned the lives of a dysfunctional young couple/family. He was early 20s the girl younger - maybe 15/16. He worked in a railway signal box and at one point had to hurriedly dash to avert a train accident. There were hints of mental illness and the girl may have also have become pregnant. The girls mother did not appear in the film and may have left/died previously. Toward the end the girls father asks her to cut his hair. She replied he hadn`t got any. At the end of the film the father kills himself by hanging himself from a railway bridge. Subsequently a train goes by and snaps the rope and the father falls into the river below.

Any ideas? Thanks

Liked
    80 times
    Dakota Road (1992) seems to partly fit the description:

Dakota Road

E.

Liked
    0 times
    Thank you so much Euryale, that`s the one. Bleak British films like this are the ones I enjoy the most. I would really like to see it again as I can`t remember too much about it. Been trawling the web for a couple of hours but there is very little info about the film out there and certainly no DVD option. Chances of seeing again looking very slim.

Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_Hoopsa View Post
    Thank you so much Euryale, that`s the one. Bleak British films like this are the ones I enjoy the most. I would really like to see it again as I can`t remember too much about it. Been trawling the web for a couple of hours but there is very little info about the film out there and certainly no DVD option. Chances of seeing again looking very slim.

Unfortunately the film appears to have had no commercial release at all, although there is a novelisation available by the director, Nick Ward. Most of the reviews seem not to be terribly positive - but this one here does list films the reviewer considers to be similar!:

Dakota Road | Review by Chris Tookey

E.

Liked
    0 times
    Many thanks for this. I`ll see if I can track down the similar films.

Quote Originally Posted by Euryale View Post
    Unfortunately the film appears to have had no commercial release at all, although there is a novelisation available by the director, Nick Ward. Most of the reviews seem not to be terribly positive - but this one here does list films the reviewer considers to be similar!:

Dakota Road | Review by Chris Tookey

E.