Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Member Country: Wales
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    62
    Liked
    0 times
    I have a feeling that I've seen another (earlier?) version of the Ghost Train which I enjoyed enormously. I've seen two or three stage productions which were also good fun. The Askey version is disappointing.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    73
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cymro glan
    I have a feeling that I've seen another (earlier?) version of the Ghost Train which I enjoyed enormously. I've seen two or three stage productions which were also good fun. The Askey version is disappointing.
    Yes, The Ghost Train (1931) - Unfortunately the complete film does not still exist in both picture and sound - the opinion on this version by some people, is that it was better than the Arthur Askey film.



    When Network released the Askey Film on DVD, I think they missed an opportunity to release the 1931 surviving parts of the earlier film, as an extra feature. I believe what does still exist is preserved by the BFI/ National Film Archive.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Country: Australia
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    875
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Martin
    Yes, The Ghost Train (1931) - Unfortunately the complete film does not still exist in both picture and sound
    I read an article in the magazine Steam World which said the reason for there not being a complete version of the 1931 film was because an "eastern" European country (Hungary, I think it was) wanted to make their own language version of The Ghost Train, so they were loaned the original print.



    Unable (or financially unwilling!!) to replicate the outdoor, and some other, scenes, they cut and spliced the original print into their version!!!







    We have a television network here in Aus called SBS (Special Broadcasting Service) whose raison-d'�tre is to cater for our extensive multicultural society (provided with sub-titles, we get a great range of non-english language movies and television programs ... many of which have a cult following, like Inspector Rex.)



    Anyway, a few years ago, on a Saturday afternoon, I saw a subtitled Dutch version of The Ghost Train. Assuming the subs were translated as literal as possible, it was all but word-for-word with the Askey version (which I probably know off by heart .... "You can't stay 'ere" ... "If it be a natural thing, where do 'e come from, where do 'e go" .....)

  4. #4
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    257
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Martin
    Yes, The Ghost Train (1931) - Unfortunately the complete film does not still exist in both picture and sound - the opinion on this version by some people, is that it was better than the Arthur Askey film.



    When Network released the Askey Film on DVD, I think they missed an opportunity to release the 1931 surviving parts of the earlier film, as an extra feature. I believe what does still exist is preserved by the BFI/ National Film Archive.
    Bob Monkhouse had a complete version of the Hulbert 1931 Ghost Train. When his movie collection was impounded, his copy was DESTROYED and no other complete version exists. A terrible shame.



    I have to stand up and be counted for the Askey version. I love it. The bit where AA makes goldfish faces in the train window still cracks me up. It is of course very much a wartime version with the plot adapted accordingly.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    168
    Liked
    0 times
    I can't believe this cultural vandalism.



    Didn't anyone think of checking with the BFI.or the copyright owners if they were any other copies extant.



    Shameful

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    85
    Liked
    0 times
    I always thought that Arnold Ridley owed slightly more of a "tip o' the hat" to the Conan-Doyle story The lost special



    Also does anyone have an inkling where to get the 1931 film ? I did ask on the vintage movie group on usenet, but even that lot of hardened collectors couldn't oblige me.



    PS: Bob Monkhouse had his collection impounded and destroyed ?!! Say it aint so!?

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27,595
    Liked
    255 times
    Why was Bob's collection impounded?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,281
    Liked
    0 times
    In 1979 hwe was charged with attempting to defraud film distributors.He was cleared after an Old Bailey trial.Ther is no mention anywhere of his collection being destroyed.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27,595
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by orpheum
    In 1979 hwe was charged with attempting to defraud film distributors.He was cleared after an Old Bailey trial.Ther is no mention anywhere of his collection being destroyed.
    Thanks orpheum.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator Country: England
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,804
    Liked
    7 times
    If it was a 1931 print Bob had, it would have been nitrate...it's possible it had decomposed in police hands (It doesn't take long once started, and there's no cure bar duplication) or the Police decided that it was too dangerous to store and did destroy it without consulting the BFI. It's also possible, of course, that the BFI's partial print is Bob's, or a copy thereof, and all that could be saved.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    73
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold
    If it was a 1931 print Bob had, it would have been nitrate...it's possible it had decomposed in police hands (It doesn't take long once started, and there's no cure bar duplication) or the Police decided that it was too dangerous to store and did destroy it without consulting the BFI. It's also possible, of course, that the BFI's partial print is Bob's, or a copy thereof, and all that could be saved.
    Very interesting recent posts - Is it possible to confirm if the BFI print is Bob's and also an exact list of all the surviving bits and pieces would be useful to know - ie picture with/without sound, picture/sound only etc.



    It does depend on what does actually survive, but a DVD release should not be impossible, with subtitles/overdubs etc a complete story could be created



    Of course the BFI could release all the parts on DVD........or perhaps I'm in the land of make believe again !!









    .

  12. #12
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    110
    Liked
    2 times
    The late British comedian, Bob Monkhouse owned a complete set of reels of this film, but they were seized and destroyed after a raid on his home by Her Majesties Customs and Excise on copyright grounds.

    I came across the above statement on another thread; imdb confirms it, but gives no source. Can this really be true?

  13. #13
    Senior Member Country: United States MonicaMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    362
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Martin View Post
    Very interesting recent posts - Is it possible to confirm if the BFI print is Bob's and also an exact list of all the surviving bits and pieces would be useful to know - ie picture with/without sound, picture/sound only etc.

    It does depend on what does actually survive, but a DVD release should not be impossible, with subtitles/overdubs etc a complete story could be created

    Of course the BFI could release all the parts on DVD........or perhaps I'm in the land of make believe again !!
    Well, as this corresponds with my own interest (natch), I decided to write the BFI:

    Greetings:

    I am an American actress and will be in London for a month beginning 16 July for Shakespeare studies at LAMDA. I am also doing research on Cyril Raymond (1899-1973 -- your DOB on the bio is incorrect, incidentally), the famous theatre and film character actor. To that end I was wondering whether the BFI has a copy (or a partial one) of some of the rarer films in which he appeared in the 1930s, particularly The Ghost Train. I understand HM Government ruined the last complete copy due to a blunder with their X-ray machine after they seized the film, along with many others, from Bob Monkhouse's collection.

    I am also interested in whether a copy of Clive in India may be found among your collection and viewable as well. I'm looking specifically for the 1938 TV version starring Gillian Lind (Mr Raymond's second wife).


    Best regards,
    ******************

    Here's hoping that I hear something substantive and useful. (Incidentally, that bit about the X-ray I found on Amazon.com -- someone had posted about that in his review of the 1941 remake. I asked him where he found that info -- perhaps he'll respond as well.)

    Note to Bats (or the editing moderator/moderatrix du jour): I think the forum has at least three different threads on this film -- perhaps they should be consolidated?


    (BTW, sorry if the fonts are a bit mussed up - I was trying to do different colors and italics, but for some reason things aren't looking right. Hope it's legible regardless!)

  14. #14
    Senior Member Country: Europe
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,373
    Liked
    36 times
    It will probably take a couple of days for a reply and even then, if anything is available, you would need to give them about three weeks notice for a viewing booking to be arranged. I made my booking for 20 July a couple of weeks ago.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Country: United States MonicaMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    362
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellwanderer View Post
    It will probably take a couple of days for a reply and even then, if anything is available, you would need to give them about three weeks notice for a viewing booking to be arranged. I made my booking for 20 July a couple of weeks ago.
    Luckily, I'm in the UK for five weeks. :-)

  16. #16
    Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    25,718
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MonicaMC View Post
    Well, as this corresponds with my own interest (natch), I decided to write the BFI:

    Greetings:

    I am an American actress and will be in London for a month beginning 16 July for Shakespeare studies at LAMDA. I am also doing research on Cyril Raymond (1899-1973 -- your DOB on the bio is incorrect, incidentally), the famous theatre and film character actor. To that end I was wondering whether the BFI has a copy (or a partial one) of some of the rarer films in which he appeared in the 1930s, particularly The Ghost Train. I understand HM Government ruined the last complete copy due to a blunder with their X-ray machine after they seized the film, along with many others, from Bob Monkhouse's collection.

    I am also interested in whether a copy of Clive in India may be found among your collection and viewable as well. I'm looking specifically for the 1938 TV version starring Gillian Lind (Mr Raymond's second wife).


    A 1938 British tv production? Are you bringing your own time machine?

Similar Threads

  1. The Ghost Train
    By boilerboy in forum Your Favourite British Films
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 21-06-12, 10:02 PM
  2. The Ghost Train
    By Katemoss in forum Film Locations
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 17-06-11, 08:32 AM
  3. The Ghost Train
    By DB7 in forum Radio Talk
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 21-03-11, 10:30 PM
  4. Ghost Train (1931) Jack Hulbert
    By AMP in forum Looking for a Video/DVD (Film)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 15-12-08, 07:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts