Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    1. Jack Shepherd goes into the British Museum library (?) and slices open the spine of a book, convinced he will find a hidden language.

2. A gangster-ish Jonathan Lynn (?) in a white tuxedo (?) says to his wife (?) "I bought you a Volvo - safest car in the world. I don't know why I bothered."

3. Ronald Fraser (?) and his wife seem to be the only people left alive when they return from holiday. They have an armoured car in the garage. (I thought this would be easy to find, but I can't see it on imdb.)

All around 1980, I should think.

There are others that bob up in the shifting sands of what passes for my memory, and I shall post as I glimpse them ... apologies if I?ve posted these ones before.

Liked
    80 times
    Dinner at the Sporting Club

I'm guessing this for the second one.

E.

Liked
    80 times
    "Comedy Playhouse" The Last Man on Earth (TV episode 1974) - IMDb

The third is this - user review gives the details.

E.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    Is it possible you've confused two 'Scorpion Tales' episodes in the first?
    *KILLING - Computer programmer Mark Hawkins is shocked to learn that his company, an international bank, is to install a new system. For the past five years, he has spent his spare time gambling in foreign currencies during periods of instability in world markets; with his own specially prepared computer tape, he has accumulated a hypothetical two million pounds. Now, it seems the game is over.
    Starring Jack Shepherd, Angela Down, Michael O'Hagan, James Lister, Clifford Kershaw and Vera Jakob.

*THE GREAT ALBERT - Eleven-year-old Matthew is the introverted son of antiquarian bookseller Peter Ward. While his father is preoccupied with work, his egotistical mother, Virginia, devotes most of her time and energy to her latest lover. Now, Matthew's only real friend and confidante, housekeeper Mrs Withers, is to be fired. He believes the solution lies within the pages of a rare book of his father's, written by a 16th-century mystic...
    Starring Lyn Farleigh, Kenneth Gilbert, Max Harris, Gwen Nelson, Paul Freeman, Diana Rayworth and Angela Galbraith.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Euryale View Post
    "Comedy Playhouse" The Last Man on Earth (TV episode 1974) - IMDb

The third is this - user review gives the details.

E.
    Sorry, Euryale, I wanted to put both your suggestions as best answers, but it won't let me.
    While Jaycad could be right that I have confused two episodes of a series (after all, I'm at that age when I'm more comfortable when I'm confused) I think not: This is what I remember: Jack Shepherd believes there is a language written along the spine of an old book. There are only two copies of the book, and one is in the British Museum. Obviously, the curator refuses to tear the leather spine off to have a look, so Jack takes the book to a table, gets out a pen-knife and slices it open. There's nothing there. The curator runs up and tells him to leave or some such, adding excitedly "Was there a hidden language?". Jack looks crestfallen and admits that there wasn't. The curator sneers and throws him out. If I dreamt all this I'm brilliant.