Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: waffle weather

Senior Member Country: England captainhaddock's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    you'll be doing your christmas shopping in a tee shirt tomorrow ...so ive just been informed as to how i'll be spending sunday the 23 oct by the bbc weather man.

the hell i will
    why dont they stop making assumtions as to how people spend their leisure leisure time and just give us the weather ?.

i thought that they had been stopped from doing this by complaints made about them that were featured in a newspaper article i read a few months ago

but now its back
    i nearly spat my tea out when i heard the xmas tee shirt remark

its usually a summertime thing when they tell you whether to take a brolly to the barby that youre obviously all going to at the weekend

but now its about suitable christmas shopping attire

JUST BLOODY STOP IT !
    Last edited by captainhaddock; 22-10-11 at 05:45 PM.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by captainhaddock View Post
    you'll be doing your christmas shopping in a tee shirt tomorrow ...so ive just been informed as to how i'll be spending sunday the 23 oct by the bbc weather man.

the hell i will
    why dont they stop making assumtions as to how people spend their leisure leisure time and just give us the weather ?.

i thought that they had been stopped from doing this by complaints made about them that were featured in a newspaper article i read a few months ago

but now its back

its usually a summertime thing when they tell you whether to take a brolly to the barby that youre obviously all going to at the weekend

JUST BLOODY STOP IT !
    I know what you mean Cap'n, I can't stand labels, assumptions, and generalisations, everyone is an individual!

Sounds like an interesting newspaper article, shame I missed it, as for the hopefully heatwave type weather tomorrow I will be in a tee shirt lolling around the back garden attempting to get a tan, but no christmas shopping, stuff that!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    129 times

the hell i will

but now its back

JUST BLOODY STOP IT !
    Wow!!
    There are lots of things in the world to get riled about. . .but this?!? Really?!?

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    you'll be doing your christmas shopping in a tee shirt tomorrow ...
    Haven`t even thought about Christmas shopping! Even though we are now being bombarded with the ads! Ridiculous!

Senior Member Country: England waldo_lydecker's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    I couldn't agree more. The forecasters also editorialise all the time, assuming everyone likes/hates the same kind of weather at the same time. And the BBC ones insist on plugging every sporting event featured on BBC channels - just say what the weather is and shut up!

Liked
    129 times
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo_lydecker View Post
    I couldn't agree more. The forecasters also editorialise all the time, assuming everyone likes/hates the same kind of weather at the same time. And the BBC ones insist on plugging every sporting event featured on BBC channels - just say what the weather is and shut up!
    Not sure what the big deal is with the weather presenters adding a bit of banter to their report, but if you don't like it simply obtain your weather info elsewhere?!? Stick your head out the window!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy_Lea View Post
    Not sure what the big deal is with the weather presenters adding a bit of banter to their report, but if you don't like it simply obtain your weather info elsewhere?!? Stick your head out the window!
    I use the old technique of hanging a bit of seaweed up outside the window.

If the seaweed is wet then I know that it's raining, if it's stiff then it's freezing, if it's scorched then it's hot and if I can't see it then it's foggy

Steve

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    There is also the way they assume that everyone likes hot weather and hates it when it's overcast or raining. That just ain't true

Steve

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    It's been a lovely day in Norfolk today. Sunny, crisp and cool. Much nicer than those irritating heatwaves.

Liked
    129 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    I use the old technique of hanging a bit of seaweed up outside the window.

If the seaweed is wet then I know that it's raining, if it's stiff then it's freezing, if it's scorched then it's hot and if I can't see it then it's foggy

Steve
    I do the same.
    But I don't use seaweed. . .

Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
    I know what you mean Cap'n, I can't stand labels, assumptions, and generalisations, everyone is an individual!

Sounds like an interesting newspaper article, shame I missed it, as for the hopefully heatwave type weather tomorrow I will be in a tee shirt lolling around the back garden attempting to get a tan, but no christmas shopping, stuff that!
    heres that article here

BBC weather forecasters rapped for overdoing the barbecue chat | Mail Online

Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    There is also the way they assume that everyone likes hot weather and hates it when it's overcast or raining. That just ain't true

Steve
    in britain we can sometimes have four seasons in one day and its all the more lovely for that .
    its almost childish to assume we all love non stop sunshine

but thats what the modern weather man seems to do ....assume

Liked
    129 times
    in britain we can sometimes have four seasons in one day and its all the more lovely for that .
    its almost childish to assume we all love non stop sunshine

but thats what the modern weather man seems to do ....assume
    Wouldn't call it childish, its a valid assumption that most people prefer sunshine. . .

Liked
    416 times
    Wouldn't call it childish, its a valid assumption that most people prefer sunshine. . .
    I don`t. I don`t like summer at all.

Liked
    129 times
    Quote Originally Posted by faginsgirl View Post
    I don`t. I don`t like summer at all.
    True not everyone does, but its a valid assumption on the part of Michael Fish, Wincey Willis etc & hardly something to get so irate about!

Liked
    416 times
    True not everyone does, but its a valid assumption on the part of Michael Fish, Wincey Willis etc & hardly something to get so irate about!
    Wincey Willis? There`s a blast from the past.

Liked
    29 times
    is it really ?
    ever thought of a job at the meteorogical office timmy ?
    perhaps you could advise us as to which brand of sausages to take to the next barbecue
    or whether to wear a hat at the next bonfire night do
    and what kind at that ?
    fedora or panama ?

or how about stop making assumtions about my lifestyle and how i spend my spare time and just concentrate on the main story which is the freakin weather in the part of the world i'm listening to !
    Last edited by captainhaddock; 22-10-11 at 11:06 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK frame69's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    Opening the shop at 5.45am for newspapers leaves me open to the early risers who constantly remark on the weather, "bit chilly this morning", "it is" I reply when I should actually say "its October in Britain,what do you expect". On another subject,any lottery players out there,do you ask for a winning ticket and smirk like you have just made a smart as**** comment? I can no longer react to this as almost everyone says it. I should say to them, "you have no hope of winning as I've rigged the machine".

Sunny down 'ere' today....have a gudun...Frame.

Senior Member Country: England waldo_lydecker's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    But they don't even assume that consistently. Around November time they assume that everyone, from kids to OAPs, are desperate for some dark days full of snow. While many elderly people sit there scared and lonely, these grinning twits say things like, 'Fingers crossed we'll get a blanket of snow tomorrow!' They also assume everyone, regardless of their age and work schedule, are excited at the thought of stifling hot weather during the summer. They should just stop assuming anything and just get on with the weather report!

Liked
    129 times
    But they don't even assume that consistently. Around November time they assume that everyone, from kids to OAPs, are desperate for some dark days full of snow. While many elderly people sit there scared and lonely, these grinning twits say things like, 'Fingers crossed we'll get a blanket of snow tomorrow!' They also assume everyone, regardless of their age and work schedule, are excited at the thought of stifling hot weather during the summer. They should just stop assuming anything and just get on with the weather report!
    Wow! How about not watching it at all & obtaining your weather info from another source if a bit of light casual banter from a weather presenter is SO unsettling!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast