Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    5 times
    Halloween is coming I'm just wondering is there any pictures or stories that are haunted in your city or town. We have the Green Lady of Vicars Hill and nobody would dare to go there on halloween as Vicars Hill is the oldest street in Armagh and it's still the same as it was back in the 1700s. Plus we have a lot of ghost stories about the old Armagh Gaol (prison) which has stood empty from the 80s it is so frightening inside as it's an old Victorian prison and god none would want to spend the night in it now.
    Last edited by Nick Dando; 24-10-11 at 09:10 AM.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    There are 'sightings' of the ghost of a schoolboy who runs into the road in front of Dalton school (I know someone who has experienced this on a few occasions,I've tried to see it under the same conditions but nothing ever happens!) and stories of ghosts of miners killed in an explosion at Tawd Vale Colliery in 1897 (we were all terrified of being alone in the area whilst participating in cross country runs at school!)
    A friend of mine who is a complete sceptic of Steve Crook proportions was,whilst walking home with a friend in the early hours,'accosted' by a Policeman in an old style uniform in an area that turned out to be yards from the location of a previous police station-my friend insists it was a bloke in fancy dress yet admits that pictures of policemen from the victorian/edwardian period tally with the style of uniform of the 'policeman'-I've challenged him to find a fancy dress shop that stocks the same
    uniform but am still waiting! He gets really worked up about the incident when I insist that the policeman was a ghost!

Liked
    150 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycad View Post
    He gets really worked up about the incident when I insist that the policeman was a ghost!
    A considerable amount of sceptics don't want to believe in spirits purely because the idea terrifies them - my brother actually admitted that to me some years ago (he'd probably deny saying it if I brought it up again!).
    It's best to just keep an open mind.

Spirit world sceptics should check out Rita Rogers - she can name names with unusual spellings right down to the last letter - and Allison Dubois, the American lady on whom the TV series Medium is based.

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dame Starry View Post
    and Allison Dubois, the American lady on whom the TV series Medium is based.
    Alison Dubois gets a lot of criticism, that`s because certain people think that because not EVERYTHING that happens in `medium` has happened to Alison, then she is a fraud. Medium is a drama , they only get their research from Alison, she advices them from her own experiences and they creatively develop that further for the screen!

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    The Galleries of Justice in Nottingham reputed to be the most haunted place in the city. In Victorian times it housed two courtrooms where villains were either transported or worse!
    Under the exercise yard are buried bodies of the people who were hanged.
    There have been various reports of strange happenings but didn't experience any when we went.

Liked
    109 times
    Hi,
    Apart from my contributions referring to something I experienced on ghosts in the underground thread, Hemel Hempstead's older part claims to have some hauntings. There are also reports in the Hemel Hempstead Gazette of over a hundred years ago in other parts of Hemel Hempstead, such as Apsley and Leverstock Green. And as I stated elsewhere, my old house was featured in an article, in the same newspaper, titled Hemel Hempstead Ghosts. There have also been strange stories about the recently demolished Nash Mills, on the border of Hemel Hempstead and Kings Langley. In the other direction of Hemel Hempstead, the last highwayman to be hanged in this country is buried. Robert Snooks. There was some superstition that if you walked around his grave a certain way at midnight, his ghost would appear.

True or false. they make excellent stories. But certainly as a child I firmly believed I lived in a haunted house. But there could be logical explanations as I have referred elsewhere on this website.

Alan French.

Senior Member Country: Ireland jimw1's Avatar
    Liked
    396 times
    The Haunting Hangman

John Ellis (4 October 1874– 20 September 1932) was a Rochdale hairdresser and newsagent who served as one of the United Kingdom's executioners for 23 years, from 1901 to 1924.

Ellis served as Chief Executioner from 1907 and was involved in a total of 203 executions. Among the executions he performed were those of Dr Crippen in 1910, Frederick Seddon in 1912, Sir Roger Casement in 1916, Major Armstrong in 1922, and of Edith Thompson in 1923

He carried out his final execution on the 28th of December 1923, when he hanged John Eastwood at Armley prison in Leeds, for the murder of his wife.
    He retired in 1924.
    On September 20, 1932, he drunkenly threatened his wife and child with a razor, then slit his own throat...Resulting in Suicide

There have been many Reports over the years regarding the haunting of his Old Barber Shop.......

Last edited by jimw1; 24-10-11 at 06:52 PM.

Liked
    150 times
    Quote Originally Posted by faginsgirl View Post
    Alison Dubois gets a lot of criticism, that`s because certain people think that because not EVERYTHING that happens in `medium` has happened to Alison, then she is a fraud. Medium is a drama, they only get their research from Alison, she advices them from her own experiences and they creatively develop that further for the screen!
    I wasn't talking about the series - I merely mentioned that she was the one on whom the series is BASED; I'm surprised that anybody would believe that the series is 100% true! Allison has written several excellent books - as has Rita Rogers.

Liked
    151 times
    Supposed to be the ghost of a dead woman occasionally seen crossing a road as you head out of town.

Senior Member Country: UK flynn's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    this is a good place to spend the night.after a few Beers.

or Halloween.

Last edited by flynn; 25-10-11 at 12:28 PM.

Senior Member Country: England mallee59's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    Mansfield Market Place, first found fame in the Domesday book as a market town and now after the council have had their way it 's definitely a ghost town....

Senior Member Country: England sidney bliss's Avatar
    Liked
    48 times
    I work in an older peoples home and I have seen one Ghost/ something that I can't explain. Some staff members won't work on a certain floor because of what they sense is there. My wife works nights in the same building and has had some weird stuff go on - doors slamming, lights flickering etc.

Also one of our gentlemen a while back claimed that he didn't have a very good night sleep due to a man lying under his sink. Now this gentleman was diagnosed with Dementia so we thought "bless him" until this story was told to a carer who had been there a number of years who went as white as a sheet on hearing this. She then described how another gentleman, in the same room, was found under the sink...dead.

Sleep tight and don't have nightmares

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    I was reading that there's going to a movie about the World Famous Enfield poltergeist...... which I confess to never having heard of before...

Enfield Poltergeist: The amazing story of the 11-year-old North London girl who 'levitated' above her bed | Mail Online

Senior Member Country: Ireland jimw1's Avatar
    Liked
    396 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Moor Larkin View Post
    I was reading that there's going to a movie about the World Famous Enfield poltergeist...... which I confess to never having heard of before...

Enfield Poltergeist: The amazing story of the 11-year-old North London girl who 'levitated' above her bed | Mail Online
    Im surprised you had never heard of it.......

BBC News - Photographer recalls his ghostly encounter in the 1970s

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimw1 View Post
    Im surprised you had never heard of it.......
    I'm not, because I'd never heard of it.....

I was thinking that that bedroom looks really odd. One girl has her walls covered in posters, but the flying girl has nothing on her *side* of the room..... It reminded me of the bedroom I shared all those years ago with my sibling, which exhibited exactly the same phenomenon!!

Strange.... but true.