Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I saw a play (or the first part of it) on the TV about 1973�ish. I think that it could have been "Play For Today" or something similiar.

It was surreal and was based in a closed factory that had been stripped of everything. The camera intertwined between two scenes. In one fllor there was the former Managing Director who was sat behind his desk with the company logo on the wall behind him and he was talking to a teenage girl who had just started at the company and he was telling her about how much the company valued employees hard work and how she could progress career wise in the company. In the other scene on an empty the factory floor, there was a foreman talking to a new apprentice and saying they were only there to make money for other people and was very cynical and negative. Unfortunately I don't recall the outcome.

Does anyone remember the title of the play as I'm trying to obtain it on DVD ? Failing that, any of the actors or director would be helpful.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    Can't help but if you don't get an answer here, you could try asking in the Mausoleum Club forum.

Senior Member Country: UK LocalHero's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    I think your play is a bit later than you think. I bit of a Google (technical term!) found a Play For Today from 1981 called The Factory. The BFI Database shows this as having a cast of only 4 - and what a cast!

Another website (TV.com) gives the synopsis "A manager, a foreman, and two workers are all that remains of a factory yet labor relations stay the same".

There's a little more detail on this page along with a photo.

I think this looks to be a likely candidate, but apologies if it isn't.

There seem to be a few websites that will allow you to watch it, but I've no idea how legal any of them are.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times
    Thanks for the links, very interesting

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't think that this is the play as I seem to remember the apprentice having long hair (typical early / mid 70's).However, I will try to get hold of "The Factory", just in case.

Many thanks for your help. Any other suggestions are appreciated.