Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Junior Member Country: Hong Kong
    Liked
    0 times
    well its quite hard to recollect something from 3 decades ago but I'm sticking with the IRA thing for now as the lead was killed by soldiers

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    Try Harry's Game or A Prayer for the Dying?

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I remember a TV film from this period about the IRA, but it is a film I have only seen part of, and would love to know the title. Maybe its the same film the OP is thinking of.

The film I remember shows both the terrorists and police in some cat and mouse type games. One of the policemen is played by John Henshaw (from memory) who played meatballs in Looking for Erik and also stars in the Post Office ads.
    One scene I did see involved a group of undercover police or special branch approaching a lone barn in a field and checking it out.

Is this the same film, what is it called?

Liked
    0 times
    It's not 'A Prayer for the Dying?', its really small budget.

It's not John Henshaw and the ending (when the lead is killed in or near a car) occurs on a street.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    It sounds very much like "The Price", also starring Derek Thompson with Peter Barkworth and Harriet Walter which was a BBC serial set in Ireland made in the early 80s. Thompson kidnaps a rich businessman's wife and holds her for ransom. When he goes on the run with her in the last episode, he stops to let her out of the car for a comfort break and is gunned down by a police marksman.
    Excellent thriller, never released on video or DVD.
    Derek Thompson used to be a very good young actor, sad to see his wooden performances in Casualty

Liked
    0 times
    'The Price' is not quite how I remembered it but its the closest by far.

Either way I'm gonna watch it on youtube, thank Alexis for the tip and we'll see if its the one.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Captain Oates's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Another possibility is Angel with Stephen Rea

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    Another possibilty might be John Thaw's 1985 We'll Support You Evermore (TV movie)?

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    153 times
    Hennessy (1975)?

Liked
    0 times
    Dunno why I didnt check youtube earlier ...

But I'm pretty sure its 'Nothing Personal' 1995 starring James Frain. Seems I was off by a decade.

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi mate, quite certain its Harrys Game, he got gunned down at the end of it by a army patrol who didnt know what he was up to - or whos side he wa on!!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wkl View Post
    80's TV Movie about some IRA members. Lead is a slim bloke, possible curly or wavy hair. He was doing some good deed at the end before being gunned down by police/army near a car or buildings.
    This i think you are talking a bout a film called Cal yes an absolute brilliant film and the theme music was written and played by Mark Knopfler. I know Mr Knopfler has done a number of Film tunes. Now what makes me think this is the film you are talking about is that the lead actor was thin with longish hair Played by John Lynch. The film was a 1984 drama Directed by Pat O'Connor. John Lynch's character Cal is a Catholic member of the Irish Republican Army but he falls in love with this lady (Hellen Mirren) that he ends up doing some work on her farmhouse. An excellent film definitely reccomend this film to any who have not seen it! But i bet my last buck this is the film you are looking for! Here is a link which will give you a snap view http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j1Gm-o_Vjk
    Last edited by room 237; 17-01-12 at 12:47 AM. Reason: additional ino

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Just wish to add i come from a strong Irish family although born in the UK myself, it was funny this film always stuck with me because of this guy, My son carries the same name Cal.

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    just looking on itv on demand service and they have Harrys Game available to watch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12