Thread: a cowboy film

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    It's a scene from a film i saw many years ago and has always stuck with me..and despite waching many films since.. ive never come across it again..but now.. thanks to this wonderful forum..catching up on these films is now a possiblility...right..A guy is being questioned whilst hung upside down over a camp fire.. another rope is attached to him and he is pulled away from the fire to answer..and released back over the fire when he refuses to answer..not much to go on i know.. but any ideas? thanks

Liked
    80 times
    I think Gary Cooper is hung over a camp fire by native Americans in The Plainsman (1936) - not sure if it happened in the 1966 remake.

E.

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    Did something similar happen to Randolph Scott in "The Last of the Mohicans" ?, Dennis Weaver gets roasted over a fire in "Duel at Diablo" but he's tied to a wagon wheel, and Burt Lancaster gets hung upside down in "The Professionals". "The Plainsman" is on Sky Classics on Friday at 5pm.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    There are several scenes like that in various 'spaghetti' westerns.

Liked
    94 times
    That's it Batman, you've cracked it. A cowboy being hung by spaghetti over a wood oven until he reveals the secret of his pasta sauce. "The Man from Pizza Hut"
    Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    There are several scenes like that in various 'spaghetti' westerns.

Liked
    94 times
    The jury could still be out on this one. Euryale is quite right about Gary Cooper in The Plainsman which I watched last night, but he's not hung upside down and he's not swung backwards and forwards. Maybe there were two versions of the scene shot. I'm still racking my brain for any other ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iminaright2an8 View Post
    It's a scene from a film i saw many years ago and has always stuck with me..and despite waching many films since.. ive never come across it again..but now.. thanks to this wonderful forum..catching up on these films is now a possiblility...right..A guy is being questioned whilst hung upside down over a camp fire.. another rope is attached to him and he is pulled away from the fire to answer..and released back over the fire when he refuses to answer..not much to go on i know.. but any ideas? thanks

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Wasn't there a similar scene in Chatto's Land with Charles Bronson (1972)

Liked
    94 times
    A sudden thought. Could this be one of the opening scenes from Major Dundee where a cavalry officer is strung up upside down over a small heap of twigs etc and then an Apache throws a flaming spear into the twigs to set them on fire. It might help if we knew if this was colour or black and white.

Senior Member Country: Europe Heinrich's Avatar
    Liked
    63 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Euryale View Post
    I think Gary Cooper is hung over a camp fire by native Americans in The Plainsman (1936) - not sure if it happened in the 1966 remake.
    Check out 0:52:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TiD08qwhFg

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I thank you all for your efforts..but the only further clues i can add is i'm fairly certain it was in colour and there were no Indians involved..just cowboy types.. but you know.. i do hope it wern't just a dream.. you can never be sure with vague memories!.. anyway..thanks again.

Senior Member Country: Germany
    Liked
    1 times
    I haven't seen that one in ages - but could it be the 1958 THE BRAVADOS with Gregory Peck? I have a slight recollection of such a scene, but could be completely wrong ... not sure a campfire was involved ...

Liked
    94 times
    I must admit that this one is really getting to me as I like to think I know a little bit about westerns (not spaghetti westerns) so here's two more ideas both with people being threatened with hanging (but not upside down). Hangmans Knot 1952 with Randolph Scott and Lee Marvin, Also Ray Teale who tries to hang one of Scotts group, (there is a big fire scene in this one when the house is set on fire)and Ride Lonesome 1959 where Randolph Scott threatens to hang Lee Van Cleef's brother becaurse Lee hung Scotts wife.