Thread: Fu Manchu

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Which is the Fu Manchu film in which he threatens a coastal town, and the posting of soldiers on the beach does not avert disaster? Later a cruise ship is blown up with all holiday-makers on board.
    I think they are both the same film: I was so shocked at the careless cruelty and massacre of innocents when I first saw it as a child, and now I would ... er ... like to see it again.

Liked
    151 times
    'Brides of' I think.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Isn't it a boat full of scientists in Brides? Maybe they're scientists on holiday?

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I think it's in fact two of the films: the soldiers and villagers are from The Face of Fu Manchu and the cruise ship is in The Brides of Fu Manchu (and later swiped as stock footage for The Castle of Fu Manchu).

The world will hear from me again . . .

Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    Isn't it a boat full of scientists in Brides? Maybe they're scientists on holiday?
    It's a church-load of scientists in that one. Presumably Stephen Hawking and Richard Dawkins weren't there.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Thanks everybody. Thanks Gerald. I shall have to get hold of two Fu Manchu films then in order to quench this thirst for cruelty. There must have been a season when I was 10 or so. I'm reading a bit of Fu Manchu at the moment, and it's a bit heavy going, considering it's for kids...

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon View Post
    Thanks everybody. Thanks Gerald. I shall have to get hold of two Fu Manchu films then in order to quench this thirst for cruelty. There must have been a season when I was 10 or so. I'm reading a bit of Fu Manchu at the moment, and it's a bit heavy going, considering it's for kids...
    I remember them being shown early evening midweek c 1976. The only sequence I remember in detail is a young (Chinese?) woman trapped in a glass cage which gradually fiils with water Is that Brides too?

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    I remember them being shown early evening midweek c 1976. The only sequence I remember in detail is a young (Chinese?) woman trapped in a glass cage which gradually fiils with water Is that Brides too?
    That was a scene in The Face Of Fu Manchu, i started a Thread for The Face Of Fu Manchu in the - Your Favourite British Films section of Brit Movie.

Liked
    182 times
    It's Face. These grisly details are obviously etched on my mind . . .

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy farmer View Post
    That was a scene in The Face Of Fu Manchu, i started a Thread for The Face Of Fu Manchu in the - Your Favourite British Films section of Brit Movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    It's Face. These grisly details are obviously etched on my mind . . .
    Cheers both. I must say that, looking on Wikipedia, they all seem a lot nastier than I remember so I can only surmise I watched most of them from behind the sofa

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    You can see the scene you remember below Captain in the trailer for The Face Of Fu Manchu (1.51 - 2.07).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuJRxviIAbA