Thread: Hunted (1952)

Liked
    151 times

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DB7 View Post
    Many thanks for noting the forthcoming release of HUNTED (1952). It's a remastered print.

Barbara

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    I saw this in HMV some years ago and I think it was the video version I wish I would have bought it then as it had on the cover 'includes original theatrical trailer.' Lets hope this release contains the trailer, great film besides this anyway,so I will be hunting this one down.

Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sladdin View Post
    I saw this in HMV some years ago and I think it was the video version I wish I would have bought it then as it had on the cover 'includes original theatrical trailer.' Lets hope this release contains the trailer, great film besides this anyway,so I will be hunting this one down.

Hello, sladdin:

You are right about the Carlton vhs of HUNTED having the trailer. I wasn't aware that it was on the vhs until Darrenburnfan shared the trailer at the Dirk Bogarde thread in here. It's interesting to hear the particular take on Hunted in this trailer.

With thanks to David:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TozyE...layer_embedded

All best,

Barbara

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Trivia: "General Film Distributors" (GFD) mentioned on the end of the "Hunted" trailer, was in those days the name of the film distribution arm of the J. Arthur Rank Organisation. Later on in the 1950s, this was changed to "Rank Film Distributors" (or RFD). Today's Health and Safety people would have a fit at the scene in the film where Jon Whiteley perches precariously on the parapet of a real railway bridge while a real goods train rumbles by underneath him. What if he had lost his balance and fallen off the bridge? It doesn't bear thinking about. Also, Sir Dirk obviously did his own stunts in the film and it definitely is him running along the flat bed cars and leaping over the gaps between them as he rushes towards Jon Whiteley. It would have been difficult enough running along a train in the same direction as the train was going, but to run along it in the opposite direction to that which it was going must have taken some guts on Sir Dirk's behalf. You can't help admiring both his pluck and that of Jon. It looks real because it is real. But it definitely wouldn't be allowed today.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    I pre-ordered a copy of Hunted from Amazon a few days ago, i am very much looking forward to seeing the film, i don't think i have seen it in years, Jon Whiteley also appeared in Moonfleet (1955) which is one of my favourite 1950's Swashbucklers.

Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy farmer View Post
    I pre-ordered a copy of Hunted from Amazon a few days ago, i am very much looking forward to seeing the film, i don't think i have seen it in years, Jon Whiteley also appeared in Moonfleet (1955) which is one of my favourite 1950's Swashbucklers.
    The last showing of "Hunted" on television was around twelve years ago in 2000 on Channel 4. I'm sure you'll enjoy watching the film when it arrives, Billy, it certainly packs a lot into its 82 minutes running time. Jon Whiteley was very good in "Moonfleet", but "Hunted" was undoubtably his finest film. He was never as good in anything subsequently as he was in that. All the right ingredients came together at the right time to make a first rate film. The well made trailer really does do it justice. For once, a film is as good as the trailer makes it out to be.

Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Trivia: "General Film Distributors" (GFD) mentioned on the end of the "Hunted" trailer, was in those days the name of the film distribution arm of the J. Arthur Rank Organisation. Later on in the 1950s, this was changed to "Rank Film Distributors" (or RFD). Today's Health and Safety people would have a fit at the scene in the film where Jon Whiteley perches precariously on the parapet of a real railway bridge while a real goods train rumbles by underneath him. What if he had lost his balance and fallen off the bridge? It doesn't bear thinking about. Also, Sir Dirk obviously did his own stunts in the film and it definitely is him running along the flat bed cars and leaping over the gaps between them as he rushes towards Jon Whiteley. It would have been difficult enough running along a train in the same direction as the train was going, but to run along it in the opposite direction to that which it was going must have taken some guts on Sir Dirk's behalf. You can't help admiring both his pluck and that of Jon. It looks real because it is real. But it definitely wouldn't be allowed today.

Well said, David. Dirk did do the running on the cars and the leaping. You're one of the few to mention this. He wasn't a prior athlete, so it did take guts. As for little Jon who just kept going, like a wonderful Energizer Bunny, letting nothing deter him from following and then jumping, amazing...and dangerous!

It's a terrific film, one of my all-time favourite Bogarde films.

Barbara

Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by theuofc View Post
    As for little Jon who just kept going, like a wonderful Energizer Bunny, letting nothing deter him from following and then jumping, amazing...and dangerous!

Barbara
    He must have had a really good battery in him, Barbara.

Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    He must have had a really good battery in him, Barbara.

Every time I watch HUNTED, I just smile at little Jon pushing through no matter how small he was and seemingly unafraid! A wonderful child actor.

All best, David,

Barbara

Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for that, I went back to you tube and there it was the full trailer, another one for my collection. I love the trailers from the 50s especially the British ones. Still on the lookout for The One that Got Away, The Yellow Balloon, Genevieve, Mandy, The Colditz Story..... Those sort of British trailers, oh and The Quatermass Xperiment trailer one of the hardest to come by?
    Last edited by Nick Dando; 14-01-12 at 08:12 PM.

Senior Member Country: England Elaine's Avatar
    Liked
    600 times
    My pre-ordered copy of Hunted and The High bright Sun has been dispatched from Amazon, some great film watching next week.

Liked
    1 times
    yeah enjoy them.

Liked
    98 times
    I received my new pre-ordered stand alone DVD of "HUNTED" from amazon.co.uk yesterday and have just played all of it. Image and sound quality excellent, but no extras except for a scene selection. It's Region 0 (or region free if you like) and is worth the purchase price and highly recommended.

Liked
    308 times
    I received my pre-ordered copy of Hunted through the post today from Amazon, i am very much looking forward to watching it (hopefully tonight).

Liked
    308 times
    I watched Hunted last night, and like Barbara said in post 8 on this Thread, it was indeed a terrific film, i thoroughly enjoyed it, wonderful performances from both Dirk Bogarde and Jon Whiteley, Hunted is now definitely one of my favourite Dirk Bogarde films.

Liked
    98 times
    I knew you�d be impressed with it, Billy, Some viewers have commented on the fact that the ending is inconclusive�

Spoiler:
    that we are not told what happened to Chris and Robbie after Chris, carrying the sick little Robbie in his arms, disappears into the crowd. In the year in which the film was made (1951), Chris would most likely have been tried for the murder of his wife's lover, convicted and then hanged�especially if Robbie had died. He could have got away to Ireland, but, following a battle with his conscience, in a selfless act, he effectively traded his own life for Robbie's, so that the little boy would would have a chance to live. Which just goes to show just how much he had grown to love Robbie. The fate of Robbie would be more uncertain. He was obviously very ill and could have come down with anything after those cold and rain swept nights sleeping out in the mountains�from polio to rheumatic fever, which were both common illnesses back then. No, you couldn�t have picked up the illnesses by being exposed to the cold and the wet, but it wouldn�t have helped. But, if he had survived, my guess is that he wouldn't have been sent back to the Campbell�s in London, but would have been re-fostered with another couple in Scotland.

Last edited by Nick Dando; 20-01-12 at 02:07 PM.