Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Christmas gift and an episode predominantly set in my home town of Weston-super-Mare I just cannot place the building masquerading as the police station in Weston or Bristol. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    It was a surprise to see a minibus I often drove several years later seen passing the Grand Pier Entrance.

Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Apologies for the delay in replying.

The "police station" used in the Shoestring episode "Find the Lady" was a hospital in Mattock Lane, Ealing, West London.

I have been researching all 270 of the Shoestring locations at:
    http://rhevans.co.uk/shoestringfilminglocations/

Great episode though!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Macleod View Post
    Apologies for the delay in replying.

The "police station" used in the Shoestring episode "Find the Lady" was a hospital in Mattock Lane, Ealing, West London.

I have been researching all 270 of the Shoestring locations at:

Great episode though!
    Great site well done! Re the opening titles: I think the staircase he walks down is by the car park near the Christmas Steps. The other steps he walks down: are you sure they are not the ones by Zero Degrees on the street ABOVE the Christmas Steps?

I am still trying to place the railings with the gold balls on top he runs past!

Senior Member Country: Lithuania Cooper S's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pye View Post
    I am still trying to place the railings with the gold balls on top he runs past!
    Found these last time I was in central Bristol - they're outside the Commercial Rooms on Corn Street.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper S View Post
    Found these last time I was in central Bristol - they're outside the Commercial Rooms on Corn Street.
    I've been to the Commercial Rooms in search of this Shoestring location and I don't think that it's right... because:
    The gold balls on the Commercial Rooms railings are too small- old photos show they have always been like that.
    The metal supports directly underneath the gold balls are a different shape.
    When Eddie ducks behind the railings there are two balls behind him next to the pavement, whereas the Commercial Rooms have 4 to the left of the entrance.
    On Shoestring there are stone columns behind the railings with fluted columns, but the Commercial Rooms columns are smooth.

Its bloody close though!
    Shame really as this is the only landmark from the opening titles that I haven't found.

Macleod.

Liked
    0 times
    Anoraks on:
    The steps are definitely not the Christmas steps. They are the steps leading from the northern end of Belleview Crescent to Constitution Hill in Clifton.
    I spent a wet day last August wandering round looking at all the steps in the area. The pattern of the wall matches perfectly stone for stone, the railing is there, and the pipe that runs along the floor in the corner between the steps and the wall is also there.

Macleod.

Liked
    0 times
    I've been to the Commercial Rooms in search of this Shoestring location and I don't think that it's right... because:
    The gold balls on the Commercial Rooms railings are too small- old photos show they have always been like that.
    The metal supports directly underneath the gold balls are a different shape.
    When Eddie ducks behind the railings there are two balls behind him next to the pavement, whereas the Commercial Rooms have 4 to the left of the entrance.
    On Shoestring there are stone columns behind the railings with fluted columns, but the Commercial Rooms columns are smooth.

Its bloody close though!
    Shame really as this is the only landmark from the opening titles that I haven't found.

Macleod.

Writing the differences above was the first time that I had spotted the fluted columns, so I had another look around Bristol via Google Streetview (the really grand bit of Bristol is quite small), and I have finally found the location. It is the Bristol Register Office at the corner of Corn Street and Broad Street. The number of balls is correct, the style of the railings is correct, and the columns are correct. The only difference is that the balls are now painted black. And there is a modern set of steps and railings in front of it all.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=comm...,234.31,,2,2.4

So thanks to Cooper S !
    That's another one ticked off.

Macleod.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Writing the differences above was the first time that I had spotted the fluted columns, so I had another look around Bristol via Google Streetview (the really grand bit of Bristol is quite small), and I have finally found the location. It is the Bristol Register Office at the corner of Corn Street and Broad Street. The number of balls is correct, the style of the railings is correct, and the columns are correct. The only difference is that the balls are now painted black. And there is a modern set of steps and railings in front of it all.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=comm...,234.31,,2,2.4

So thanks to Cooper S !
    That's another one ticked off.

Macleod.
    Excellent bit of location-spotting. I knew Bristol fairly well, having been at university there in the early 80s (when the "other" Radio West had just started broadcasting") and I've enjoyed looking at rhevans' site and the episodes that are available on Youtube to see what I can recognise. It's surprising to see how many locations are *not* Bristol or the Somerset area.

Like so many people, I'd thought that "the steps" in the opening titles were the Christmas Steps. Google StreetView is invaluable for checking a hypothesis - as long as it's not a pedestrianised road (like Corn Street for the Register Office and for the Nails) :-( However sometimes there's no substitute for being on the ground and actually walking the streets.

Well done to Cooper S and MacLeod for getting this scene identified.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    An interesting aside to this thread is that a mate of mine was the stunt double who is thrown onto the motorway in Stamp Duty.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by horace View Post
    An interesting aside to this thread is that a mate of mine was the stunt double who is thrown onto the motorway in Stamp Duty.
    Come on Horace. You can't leave us dangling like that...

Where was it? What was the story behind how he got the job? Tell us more!

Macleod

Liked
    0 times
    Well done on the railiings! I am gonna argue about the steps though. I'm certain they are the steps by Zero Degrees, the ones ABOVE the Christmas Steps!

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pye View Post
    Well done on the railiings! I am gonna argue about the steps though. I'm certain they are the steps by Zero Degrees, the ones ABOVE the Christmas Steps!
    Opening titles steps.jpg

So how certain are you then?
    Are you certain enough to get your wife to take a photo of you walking down the real steps...OK she's not the worlds best photographer.

The arrowed stone matches, as does the railing support (the knobbly bit to the right of the stone), and the pipe on the ground and the pattern on the front face of each step .
    Looks like it to me.

Macleod.
    Attached Images

Liked
    0 times
    Okay Im not certain at all!

Seriously, well done on a great bit of detective work. No question they are the ones. Though I live in Clifton I've only been here a few years and the certainty came from a friend who is Bristol born and bred!

Liked
    1 times
    Sorry to leave you dangling Macleod - he told me when he was a bit younger he did a bit of extra work around the south coast - we live in Dorset - he told me he worked on Private Schulz and a few other projects . As far as i know a friend of his asked him if he fancied a bit of work on Shoestring and i think he was paid �40 to do the job . I will speak to him tomorrow to find out some more . Hope this helps

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Sorry to leave you dangling Macleod - he told me when he was a bit younger he did a bit of extra work around the south coast - we live in Dorset - he told me he worked on Private Schulz and a few other projects . As far as i know a friend of his asked him if he fancied a bit of work on Shoestring and i think he was paid �40 to do the job . I will speak to him tomorrow to find out some more . Hope this helps
    I wonder if it was the Road to Nowhere in Yate? The RTN has just two lanes whereas the M4 would have had 3 lanes even then, so some careful framing would have been to avoid showing the central reservation and just two lanes, and the absence of a hard shoulder. It's ages since I've seen Stamp Duty so I can't remember what the scenes looked like.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinU View Post
    I wonder if it was the Road to Nowhere in Yate? The RTN has just two lanes whereas the M4 would have had 3 lanes even then, so some careful framing would have been to avoid showing the central reservation and just two lanes, and the absence of a hard shoulder. It's ages since I've seen Stamp Duty so I can't remember what the scenes looked like.

Somebody else has mentioned the Road to Nowhere. As it is not accessible on Google street view I can't tell if it is or not. When Shoestring was first shown I didn't doubt that it was a motorway. It's only now that I see that it is a different road. It clearly shows that the central reservation has no barrier, which must be a clue...

My website has a shot of the stuntman standing in the road:

http://rhevans.co.uk/shoestringfilmi...StampDuty.html

Macleod

Liked
    1 times
    Sorry to take ages getting back . My mate who was the stuntman who fell out of the van says it was filmed in the London area but couldnt be more specific. He says he was asked to do it as at the time he looked like Trevor Eve. Hope this helps but it may muddy the waters even more.

Liked
    0 times
    Sorry to take ages getting back . My mate who was the stuntman who fell out of the van says it was filmed in the London area but couldnt be more specific. He says he was asked to do it as at the time he looked like Trevor Eve. Hope this helps but it may muddy the waters even more.

Thanks for checking that out Horace.

I guess that rules out the Road to Nowhere near Yate but I'm not sure where to go next... maybe somebody at http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/

Macleod