Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Years ago- probably early 60s, Brian Inglis (I think) showed a black and white clip of a man singing a silly song: "Here's a jolly good song for jolly good folks to jolly well sing. Hi de ho, let it go, tra la la la!" It was very popular and he had to play it again some weeks later. Can anyone else remember this?

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    I can't recall it myself but found this, it could be of help.

This is taken from ALL OUR YESTERDAYS | A TELEVISION HEAVEN REVIEW

The programme continued with the war years throughout the rest of the 1960s and in the early 1970s took a look at post war austerity and how the world (but mostly Britain) came to terms with the after-effects of the conflict. 'All Our Yesterdays' finished its run in 1973 after thirteen years on the air. In 1975 Brian Inglis wrote and narrated a unique sound archive of World War Two for the record label Cameo Classics, entitled 'Sounds of All Our Yesterdays'. The series was revived in 1987 and was presented by veteran broadcaster Bernard Braden, utilising footage from the archives of Granada, ITN and Pathe Newsreel-but it finally disappeared from our screens in 1989.

Cameo records

http://www.cameo-classics.com/home.h...category_id=86

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times
    A jolly good song and jolly well sung,
    Jolly good company, everyone;
    If you can beat it you're welcome to try,
    But always remember the singer is dry.

Bob and Ron Copper - English Shepherd and Farming :American Folk Music, Music CD, Traditional Folk Music, Folklore, Sea Shanties, Folk Hymns, Folk Song, Folk Ballads Folk Legacy

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Over the succeeding years I always used to confuse Brian Inglis with Bill Grundy (in my head... face to name).
    I wonder what Brian Inglis would have made of The Sex Pistols.....

A jolly good song and jolly well sung,
    Jolly good company, everyone.
    God Save The Queen.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    I remember the Braden version on afternoon TV. They got interviewees like Michael Caine et al on. Quite a good afternoon show IIRC.

Liked
    22 times
    The original (Granada I think) showed what had happened the same week 25 years before

Liked
    7 times
    i watched it from the begining.It was introduced by the very distinguished foreign correspondent,James cameron,who had been at many of the events in europe shown in the clips from GB News.Subsequently the programme was introduced by Brian Inglis who also was the commentator on an LP which i stll have.The programme theme tune was "Nightride2 played by Ambrose & His Orchestra.
    Arounf 1988 ITV took to showing the GB News 50 years previous at about 3am each week.this continued till the Iraqui war started.ITV for some strange reason thought we would prefer to see that to GB News.It never,alas returned.You can download GB news clips for fre at ITN

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you all. It isn't wadey's song, I'm afraid. I will try the cameo classics record however.

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I've been trying to find someone or a company that could help me with some inquiries if possible. I have a number of 35mm film footage of World War 2 as well as a feature film from 1969 called Recess and an English TV Show/Film called Rumour or Rumours in my possession. Was wondering if you would know any places that deal with such things. It's a long shot to ask but I've been asking around for the past few months with no real luck.

Liked
    7 times
    contact the British Film Institute who i am sure will be able to assist.

Senior Member Country: Japan
    Liked
    28 times
    I imagined there would have been some episodes of this on Youtube by now, but no luck.

I remember watching an episode about the Russian Revolution in the mid-1960s, when I was around nine years old. Part of a written eye-witness account was read out about a man who had just been shot. "As he lay on the ground, I saw a black worm crawl out of his ear. It was blood". This was probably my earliest striking memory of metaphor, and I was fascinated by the description.

Back in the 1960s, the propaganda clip of Nazi soldiers marching in time to "The Lambeth Walk" was ever-popular and often played on the programme. The film was speeded up and played in reverse in parts, and was always good for a laugh.

Lambeth Walk: Nazi Style - by Charles A. Ridley (1941)