Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Just heard an article on the radio news that Pinewood Studios plans to expand it's backlot by building permanent city centre sets of various world cities including a Venice and US city backdrop have been refused by the local planning committee. The scheme would also have included several hundred new homes not to mention jobs and would have been a welcome boost to the British Film Industry.That's a pity if that is to be the final decision but it would seem so, Project Pinewood is to be abandoned. That's good news for the opposition campaigners but bad news for the film industry, a crushing blow in the present economical climate.
    Last edited by christoph404; 20-01-12 at 02:24 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    It seems to be the 1500 houses on green-belt that were the problem.
    Project Pinewood plans to build on green belt rejected - Uxbridge Gazette
    The secretary of state for communities and local government Eric Pickles today (Friday) refused to grant planning permission for Pinewood�s proposed development of the studio providing new standing sets and 1,500 homes.

In a statement Pinewood Shepperton said it was �disappointed� by the government�s decision and that it will now �take time to review the decision in detail�.

It said: �The company�s investment in the Project Pinewood land and costs incurred for the planning application are not material to the long term prospects of the company.

�The company will continue to implement its master planning consents at Pinewood and Shepperton studios and pursue its international strategy of developing studios overseas.�

Senior Member Country: Lithuania Cooper S's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph404 View Post
    The scheme would also have included several hundred new homes not to mention jobs and would have been a welcome boost to the British Film Industry.
    As a fairly local resident, I have to say I'm pretty glad this hasn't ben given planning permission. It would have totally transformed the area - and not really in my view for the better. The homes provided would not have really filled any purposeful gap in the market, and I can't really see how the film industry would have benefitted. Pinewood's coffers might have ben filled, but they're really only a service industry. Can't really see that any of the money raised would have gone into film production.

Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper S View Post
    As a fairly local resident, I have to say I'm pretty glad this hasn't ben given planning permission. It would have totally transformed the area - and not really in my view for the better. The homes provided would not have really filled any purposeful gap in the market, and I can't really see how the film industry would have benefitted. Pinewood's coffers might have ben filled, but they're really only a service industry. Can't really see that any of the money raised would have gone into film production.
    I was thinking more in terms of jobs, with 300+ people involved in shooting a major film I would have thought any incentive to stay in the UK and spend money in the UK rather than go to Prague or any where else in Europe would be good news for the British Film industry ,with a Parisian set, New York set and Venetian backdrop the draw for international filmmakers would be obvious. Let's not cloud the issue by saying this would only fill the coffers of Pinewood so therefore it's no big deal that local residents have successfully campaigned to have it stopped because I don't think that is so, let's be clear and say that the cost of saving the green belt around Pinewood has been a loss of potential employment for thousands of people and a loss to the British film economy. Obviously in the present economy campaigners would not like to be seen as needlessly vetoing such opportunities.As I don't live in that area I'm not really placed to say whether that cost is worth it or not, I can see why there would be objections to 1500 new homes and if that is the main basis of the objections then perhaps a compromise to somehow build the permanent sets but without such a large proportion of residential could be met?

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    Could be the thin edge of the wedge for some locals. First 1500 new houses, next Pinewood Studios Theme Park?

Liked
    4 times
    I was thinking more in terms of jobs, with 300+ people involved in shooting a major film I would have thought any incentive to stay in the UK and spend money in the UK rather than go to Prague or any where else in Europe would be good news for the British Film industry ,with a Parisian set, New York set and Venetian backdrop the draw for international filmmakers would be obvious.
    I'm not sure that the construction of artificial sets based on European cities would be that much of a draw for film makers - they would never really be a substitute for the real thing. This really only seems like a thinly disguised excuse to sell exclusive property to those who would like to claim kudos for living on a film set.

Liked
    77 times
    I think the trend for location filming has gone full circle, filmmakers prefer to build partial sets,add the rest in digitally and presto you are anywhere in the world,just gives them more control and is obviously cheaper than carting a film crew on international location. I sympathise with local residents fears over 1500 new homes in a green belt, that seems a hell of a lot of houses,but it would be good to see Pinewood somehow add to it's appeal and workforce without upsetting the locals.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    I live up the road from the new Warner Bros Leavesden studio near Watford.. It will open in April this year and it looks wonderful.I walk round it nearly everyday for my daily keep fit work out.
    If you live near it's great to see... It is on the web.......

Aitch,

Liked
    4 times
    The Leavesden project sounds very exciting, and this would probably have been a much better place to do something along the lines of the Project Pinewood idea. Less of a green belt location, and probably better local facilities and in an area that would benefit from some regeneration.

I remember seeing a model in the Pinewood offices a few years ago that showed some huge new office buildings built on the present studio site, and this combined with the Project Pinewood scheme did make me wonder if the management had got a bit carried away with grandiose over the top ideas - a bit like their new entrance building !

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ewarner026.jpg

Warner Bros are spending �100 million.......
    Last edited by harryfielder; 24-01-12 at 09:03 PM.

Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper S View Post
    The Leavesden project sounds very exciting, and this would probably have been a much better place to do something along the lines of the Project Pinewood idea. Less of a green belt location, and probably better local facilities and in an area that would benefit from some regeneration.

I remember seeing a model in the Pinewood offices a few years ago that showed some huge new office buildings built on the present studio site, and this combined with the Project Pinewood scheme did make me wonder if the management had got a bit carried away with grandiose over the top ideas - a bit like their new entrance building !
    The new entrance building is horrible, its like an airport....I much preferred the quaint little tudor cottage gate house where the ageing security guard used to sit with his cuppa....how times have changed!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    The new entrance building is horrible, its like an airport....I much preferred the quaint little tudor cottage gate house where the ageing security guard used to sit with his cuppa....how times have changed!
    When I went there we stopped off for some photos at the Tudor entrance before going into the airport entrance

Steve

Liked
    4 times
    Absolutely agree with you Christoph. I could see there was good reason for building a new entrance to handle the volume of traffic and large delivery vehicles, but what they ended up with is more along the lines of a motorway toll booth. And it's a real shame you can no longer enter by the double gated lodge (though I think it may still be used for weekend functions) - I used to get a real buzz driving in that way in the past.