Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Not a British programme I know, but it does have John Hannah and Jaime Murray in it. Anyway, I have just received a copy Spartacus Gods of the Arena (a prequel to Spartacus Blood and Sand, which I have never seen) as a late birthday present and wondered if it is any good. Has anyone here seen it?
    Last edited by batman; 22-01-12 at 05:40 PM.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    All I know is that these Spartacus shows enjoy a certain reputation with a number of the ladies at my place of employ...

Smudge

Liked
    255 times
    .... I just looked at some online reviews (and pictures) and think that, apart from the epic gladiatorial encounters, there may be at least a couple of other reasons to watch the DVDs.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Bats,
    I saw an episode a while back on Sky. The style and pacing of the fight scenes are very engaging, although the makers use the gimmick of a freshly diced blood wound suddenly slowing down to Matrix-like bullet time and the emerging blood then enveloping the whole screen in a very surreal way. Drama wise I'd have to take a further look, but even the one show I saw had the aristocratic ladies heading backstage to have their own tussle with the titans.....ohh matron!

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    .... I just looked at some online reviews (and pictures) and think that, apart from the epic gladiatorial encounters, there may be at least a couple of other reasons to watch the DVDs.
    Yes, I've heard about those as well...!!

Smudge

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    9 times
    It's an excellent series packed with great storylines, lots of violence and graphic sex. ;-)

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Spartacus has been a guilty pleasure. Look beyond the beefcake and the gory CGI and it had something quite individual - mostly because of the nasty Roman characters with their scheming and (often literal) backstabbing, a sort of Dynasty on steroids.

Then there was the cast: Lucy Lawless and John Hannah superb as the social climbing couple, glowering Manu Bennett, and Andy Whitfield bringing something brooding to the title role. Gods of the Arena, is the 'prequel', minus Whitfield (who unfortunately died of cancer in September) but keeping Hannah, Lawless and Bennett - thus still worth watching.

Series 3 has just started and I have to say it sorely misses Hannah and Whitfield. His replacement just doesn't have the same presence. However I see Hannah's still listed in IMDB so maybe they'll sneak him back in for more than the odd flashback

Liked
    255 times
    I watched a couple of episodes this afternoon .... it is brutal, sexy and very entertaining. Once I have waded through this blood soaked extravaganza I will give the other two series a look. Then perhaps Rome, which I am told is not dissimilar.
    Last edited by batman; 23-01-12 at 08:34 PM. Reason: typo

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    9 times
    I found Rome very different to Spartacus.
    In a word, boring!.

Senior Member Country: England mrs_emma_peel's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    [QUOTE=batman;2053718]I watched a couple of episodes this afternoon .... it is brutal, sexy and very entertaining. Once I have waded through this blood soaked extravaganza I will give the other two series a look. Then perhaps Rome, which I am told is not dissimilar.[/QUOTE

Spartacus Gods of the Arena gets incredibly good reviews on Amazon ... a very high quality series,
    and following your excellent review Bats - think I may order it
    I'm also a great fan of Jaime Murray.
    I recently saw a very steamy clip featuring Jaime, Lucy Lawless and John Hannah.

Emma
    Last edited by mrs_emma_peel; 25-01-12 at 05:08 PM.

Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs_emma_peel View Post
    Spartacus Gods of the Arena gets incredibly good reviews on Amazon ... a very high quality series,
    and following your excellent review Bats - think I may order it
    I'm also a great fan of Jaime Murray
    Jaime Murray is also in Dexter, which is well worth a look too.
    Last edited by batman; 25-01-12 at 06:58 PM.