Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I have just watched this film again and once again it's blown me away. I can't quite explain it but it just haunts and moves me so much, just hearing that pensive Ron Geesin music conjures up the vast wealth of emotions going on in it. I think Peter Finch is so marvellously dignified and compelling in it. It's also so bizarre and intriguing in its detail, the uttely outrageous kids, the telephone answering service linking device, the late night glimpse of the pharmacy, the baffling title... anyone else have a love for this film?

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    It has long been a favourite of mine. I was intrigued by its title and plotline when I first saw it and although some bits are of their time - the party scene, the rather bohemian family, Jon Finch's drug addict - it still works well. Glenda Jackson's weary Alex is excellent, as is Peggy Ashcroft as her mother. Some interesting smaller roles such as June Brown's patient, and silent star Bessie Love's telephone operator.

Peter Finch's gay Jewish doctor Daniel is one of his best roles, although he wasn't first choice (that was Ian Bannen). Murray Head is a bit of a weak link but his bisexual artist Bob is a mysterious character, not as fully drawn as his two lovers. The part was intended for Gary Bond, who started filming but lost the role because studio executives felt he had too much of a physical resemblance to Glenda Jackson, playing his girlfriend. I'm not sure if any footage featuring either Bannen or Bond exists.

The film does repay many rewatches and is a thought-provoking and intelligent piece of 1970s cinema from director John Schlesinger.

GRAEME
    Oddly, Murray Head's Wikipedia page mainly concentrates on his singing career.

Liked
    0 times
    Fascinating about Gary Bond, I didnt know about this though did about Bannen: some of the scenes he'd already shot were not reshot with Finch apparently, so presumably they rewrote around them so that the actors could react to new material and a new Daniel. Is it just me that finds that theme music so sad?

Liked
    22 times
    A wonderful film, I went to the pictures to watch it and Murray Head is in one of my all time favourites "The Family Way"

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    He's still acting, though not on the same scale as his brother Anthony - Murray had a stint in Heartbeat as Gina's boyfriend and was most recently seen in Vera. His other main lead in films was Gawain and the Green Knight I think but his best work does remain his work in musicals especially the concept album of Jesus Christ Superstar (as Judas) and the album and stage cast of Chess (as The American). He made several albums as well as a pop/rock singer.

Liked
    6 times
    The 1970's - when bisexuality was discovered (at least according to Velvet Goldmine)

Sunday was a good antidote to Performance in that respect - unglamorous, just ordinary people trying to work out their problems. Triple Echo and Satyricon also date around that period - definitely something in the air

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sippog View Post
    The 1970's - when bisexuality was discovered
    It's certainly when I discovered it

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone know what the beautiful music in the trailer is, it doesnt feature in the film?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L91IZq9MErs

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Haven't watched it in a while, but I remember thinking it was very good. SBS was the first film to introduce me to Glenda Jackson, who I have so much respect for since earlier this year. Murray Head was also good in it, I recently spotted him in an episode of Rosemary and Thyme, and in a much earlier credit: as a guest star in Return of the Saint.