Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Movie Title

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Just had a quick look in the Times for the period (it has listings for the Metropole) and it seems to have been showing the Golden Voyage of Sinbad while Magnum Force was elsewhere (and there's no mention of the Metropole showing it) while the Minstrels seem to have camped permanently at the Victoria Palace. So I'm a bit confused However it does only list one film at a time for the Metropole - was the mystery film the supporting feature ?

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Rick

Good luck in your job.

Sincerely

Dona

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    Just had a quick look in the Times for the period (it has listings for the Metropole) and it seems to have been showing the Golden Voyage of Sinbad while Magnum Force was elsewhere (and there's no mention of the Metropole showing it) while the Minstrels seem to have camped permanently at the Victoria Palace. So I'm a bit confused However it does only list one film at a time for the Metropole - was the mystery film the supporting feature ?
    My love-ins with Dona on this topic LOL seem to have covered this possible avenue Captain Waggett thanks (Post #35 and others). i've exhausted my copies of What's on in London from the years in question, and the reverse sides of all the adverts playing simultaneously at other cinemas. Something will come up I'm sure all in good time.

In the process I've created quite a scenario of both the New Victoria and the Metropole during the 1970's, both handsome palaces in their days (the New Victoria still is thanks to the rejuvenation of the stage musical)

The Metropole was the Premiere location of 'The Sand Pebbles' in 1966, but the New Victoria despite its architectural magnificence hit the z-movie cycle in the 1970s in a big way very much akin to the fate of the Astoria, Charing Cross Road.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi there

Thank you for your suggestion. The Golden Voyage of Sinbad unfortunately is not in line. Sometime listings are not completely reliable, I can you assure that Magnum Force was showing at the Metropole during November 1973 and later soon after Live and Let Die. There is no mistake about this I was working there and I watched the two movies over and over again for quite sometime. Magnum Force was very popular at that time and it was showing in more than one cinema.
    The Black and White Minstrels Show was running permanently at the Victoria Palace Theatre from 1962 to November 1972, however it was revived in 1973 as I was there. The key for finding this film maybe was when the Black and White Minstrels Show ended and a small horror/mystery film came in as an intermission before another big film or show. I did not come to see the next big show or film at the Victoria Palace because I had to move over the road to the Metropole where Live and Let Die was showing. I have sent an email to the Victoria Palace Theatre to enquire whether they have an archive of past films and shows and who knows they might come up with something but I am not optimistic about it.

Sincerely
    Dona

Liked
    0 times
    Hi there

Thank you for your suggestion. The Golden Voyage of Sinbad unfortunately is not in line. Sometime listings are not completely reliable, I can you assure that Magnum Force was showing at the Metropole during November 1973 and later soon after Live and Let Die. There is no mistake about this I was working there and I watched the two movies over and over again for quite sometime. Magnum Force was very popular at that time and it was showing in more than one cinema.
    The Black and White Minstrels Show was running permanently at the Victoria Palace Theatre from 1962 to November 1972, however it was revived in 1973 as I was there. The key for finding this film maybe was when the Black and White Minstrels Show ended and a small horror/mystery film came in as an intermission before another big film or show. I did not come to see the next big show or film at the Victoria Palace because I had to move over the road to the Metropole where Live and Let Die was showing. I have sent an email to the Victoria Palace Theatre to enquire whether they have an archive of past films and shows and who knows they might come up with something but I am not optimistic about it.

Sincerely
    Dona

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    I have NOT gone through all the comments. But just thought I would add, I worked at a cinema for some time, and occasionally we would have a staff party where the projectionist was allowed to show a film from his own wonderful collection - could this be what happened - that you came upon?

Liked
    0 times
    Hi there

This was a very interesting answer. It seems rather strange that in spite of extensive search (I have been through the bowels of google, check all suitable gender ie horror/mystery through the internet movie database I could not trace it. I have been able to trace films even without knowing the release date with just few keywords but not this one. The only way it could come to light is if someone was watching it during that time and can remember it. I wish you could help me to look deeper into this.

Thank you

Sincerely

Dona

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    I suppose you had thought also that some cinema's are 'preview' cinema's and will run a film usually only a few times to test its appeal, these include; for press / critics showings, foreign language market film makers, student films, un-released films, private films, advertising screenings... etc

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    Hi Dona, let me put my twopence worth in to your post. I had a shop in Wilton Road until the mid seventies and Rick has already mentioned "The Biograph" or as we used to know it "the fleapit" which as Rick says used to show re-runs. Particularly old horror films . As a very wild guess I wonder if we could be talking about either "The Black Sleep" or Dark Eyes of London" both with Bela Lugosi whose films they used to show quite often. I am sure that if I'm wrong on the synopsis of the films, Gerald who is an extremely knowledgable horror film fan will correct me.
    cassidy.

Liked
    0 times
    Perhaps this could be the reason why it is not listed and I am just wondering how is it possible to trace it going back to the Autumn of 1973 at the Metropole, or Victoria Palace Theatre, London Victoria.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi there

Thank you for trying. Any suggestions are welcome for investigation. Unfortunately neither the "The Black Sheep" or "Dark eyes of London" fit in. I am starting to think that this film was never listed because of probably a preview before approval. Only someone who saw it at that time and remember it could be the key.

Sincerely
    Dona

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Just wondering if you can provide more information, or clarification. Thanks for this really intriguing puzzle!

Do you remember if the film seemed to be British, American, or foreign (dubbed?)
    Do you remember if the setting was modern or period? You mention a medieval building, but was the film set in medieval times?

It seems from your plot synopsis that you don't need to bother with The Wicker Man or Nothing But the Night.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi there

Thank you for your interest. The film was more likely to be British, but I cannot be too sure. It seemed to switch between modern and medieval times, but memories have faded. I only need to reconcile the beginning starting with a mystery about dead people and the end when a young couple survived the chaos saying that they love each other. I will try to view the Wicker Man when it becomes available on line, but the beginning and the end do not seem to match. I am starting to think that the comment of GetoffTheLineBobby that some cinema's are 'preview' cinema's and will run a film usually only a few times to test its appeal, these include; for press / critics showings, foreign language market film makers, student films, un-released films, private films, advertising screenings... etc, is likely, otherwise it would have come to light as I did with others. I remember, someone saying to me at that time that it was something extra and not the main film. I am just wondering how is it possible to trace these films particularly so if the year date, cinema are known, otherwise the only chance left is if someone can remember it like I did. It is frustrating however how much rubbish of films are approved and put into circulation, probably because the producer is well known I don’t know. Whether this film met the standards of being approved is doubtful, but it was unique. Some of the scenes shot, i.e mystery, beautiful set up in a medieval building, psychological ending remain somewhat impressed, unforgettable.

Sincerely
    Dona

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    How about The Undead (1956)? It's a black and white Roger Corman film which switches between "modern" times and medieval times.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    It sounds to me like it could be Baron Blood (1972), but i don't see on the imdb a release date in Britian. it opened in various parts of the United States at the end of 1972 through early 1973.

Another possibility is Vampire Circus (1972)
    Last edited by will.15; 17-04-12 at 10:04 PM.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by will.15 View Post
    It sounds to me like it could be Baron Blood (1972), but i don't see on the imdb a release date in Britian. it opened in various parts of the United States at the end of 1972 through early 1973.

Another possibility is Vampire Circus (1972)
    I don't think either of those films ends the way Dona describes her film. And The Wicker Man can be conclusively ruled out because it doesn't have a single element in common with the story she describes.

It seems like the story either used flashbacks to connect modern and period sections, or else maybe it was some kind of compendium film, like some of those mentioned. But I get the impression Dona leans towards the first solution.

Liked
    0 times
    I'm thinking some of it might be misremebered, it dosn't sound as described like a movie that would be completely obscure.

Circus of Vampires has the basic plot.

Liked
    0 times
    http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...e_type=feature

Here is a list of every horror movie released in 1973. I didn't restrict it to English language because that would have excluded dubbed versions which were still common in those days. I didn't notice anything likely except possibly a Naschy movie, but the dubbed version wasn't released in the United States until two years later.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi

Thank you for submitting the link but this was already checked by myself over and over again before submitting my query to BritMovie.

Sincerely
    Don a

Liked
    0 times
    Hi

Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into Circus of Vampires and I will let you know.

Sincerely

Dona

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast