Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    We bought volume one of Edgar Wallace to take on holiday with us, as I had fond memories of these (from the 70's TV showing I think). Gah, what a let down. Nowhere near as good as I recall. The stories seem needlessly complex and contrived and the direction seems uneasy.
    We saved 'Urge to Kill' until last as it was a non-Wallace story, and found it to be a big improvement. A relatively simple story and directed right 'on the rails'.
    Picture quality on the DVD is excellent and the slight zoom from 1.66 to 16:9 doesn't spoil the show.
    I think we might save our money and hope for a 'Scales of Justice' release.
    Last edited by Andy H; 26-08-12 at 08:31 PM.

Senior Member Country: England paul kersey's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scales-Justi...6009384&sr=1-1

Scales of Justice is coming out on 24/09/12.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Many thanks Paul. Apparently (!) my wife told me that two weeks ago. I think I need a lie down....

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    We bought volume one of Edgar Wallace to take on holiday with us, as I had fond memories of these (from the 70's TV showing I think). Gah, what a let down. Nowhere near as good as I recall. The stories seem needlessly complex and contrived and the direction seems uneasy.
    We saved 'Urge to Kill' until last as it was a non-Wallace story, and found it to be a big improvement. A relatively simple story and directed right 'on the rails'.
    Picture quality on the DVD is excellent and the slight zoom from 1.66 to 16:9 doesn't spoil the show.
    I think we might save our money and hope for a 'Scales of Justice' release.
    I haven't seen them for a long time, but you have to give it a chance as these early releases was the series getting into its stride, and if you follow the series chronologically you can actually feel Britain waking up from its tiring war wounds.

'The Malpas Mystery' was made around the same time as 'Twisted Candle' it would be interesting to compare this as this was made by Independent Artists, who I believe were also competing for the EW franchise with Merton Park? This I believe will be an extra on 3 or 4 release ?

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Of the early ones, I found Marriage of Convenience to be rather good.....

Were the opening scenes shot at Wimbledon town hall (now a shopping mall) or Merton town hall ?

Senior Member Country: England Johnallan's Avatar
    Liked
    17 times
    Uh uh - here we go again.
    "The Edgar Wallace Anthology [DVD]"
    Estimated arrival date: January 02 2014 - January 04 2014 - per Amazon today

Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnallan View Post
    Uh uh - here we go again.
    "The Edgar Wallace Anthology [DVD]"
    Estimated arrival date: January 02 2014 - January 04 2014 - per Amazon today
    I suspect Network realised that bringing out the boxset so soon after issuing the individual sets wasn't a good marketing move.....

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    What a bummer !!! 15 months to wait for the complete set, this will obviously make people buy the individual DVD's now

Liked
    30 times
    I think that I will wait until all 7 volumes are out and then buy the individual volumes from Network as they are cheaper than Amazon. To be honest, if this were any other title I would probably forget the whole thing.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I totally agree with you Paul, I think Network will have a hard time now shifting the anthology because in over a years time most fans of this series will have bought the individual volumes in various sales, bad business decision for Network.

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    How many different release dates have they had so far for the Anthology? They are messing us around, very poor show.

Liked
    137 times
    Well I'm very pleased to say that I've had an e-mail from Amazon and Volumes 3 and 4 of " Edgar Wallace " have been shipped.

Liked
    30 times
    I note that Network are yet to list volumes 5-7, yet Amazon list them as being released in October 2012, strange isn't it ?.

Senior Member Country: United States rjd0309's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    I uploaded all 26 episodes of The Human Jungle to YouTube a couple of years ago, and figured that Network would ask me to take them down when they were ready to release their official dvds.

Today, the videos were taken down by YouTube following a complaint by Optimum Releasing. I'm a bit miffed that they didn't ASK me first, as I would have been happy to take them down myself, now that we're approaching the release date of the official dvds.

But I was a bit surprised that the complaint came from Optimum Releasing. I thought that Network were releasing The Human Jungle. Or does Optimum handle the releasing end of things for Network?

Robert

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rjd0309 View Post
    I uploaded all 26 episodes of The Human Jungle to YouTube a couple of years ago, and figured that Network would ask me to take them down when they were ready to release their official dvds.

Today, the videos were taken down by YouTube following a complaint by Optimum Releasing. I'm a bit miffed that they didn't ASK me first, as I would have been happy to take them down myself, now that we're approaching the release date of the official dvds.

But I was a bit surprised that the complaint came from Optimum Releasing. I thought that Network were releasing The Human Jungle. Or does Optimum handle the releasing end of things for Network?

Robert
    Optimum is the release arm of Studio Canal which owns all the rights to the old ABC (Associated British Corp) TV shows.They have probably leased a release to Network?

Network have probably said "we have paid for this lease, how we espected to sell anything if everything is on YT"

You would probably got away with excerpts or one or two eps, but to have the whole season up there is probably taking the piss in their mind and therefore no need to contact you.

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times

Robert
    Studio Canal own the rights and have licensed these to Network. Optimum Releasing are Studio Canal.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    Thanks for the upload though rjd - spent many a happy hour watching them

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times

Robert
    This is how You tube works, they give you no chance to voluntarily remove offending items. In my case, Optimum filed a complaint against three titles, none of which have ever been released on either VHS or dvd anywhere in the world. I find this rather arbitrary and hard to understand, when other titles held by them (and also released by them to dvd) are still freely available in their entirety on You Tube.

Also, is it a little strange that the complaint came from "Optimum Releasing" since this brand name was dropped in September 2011??

MrT

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times

Wow! You've got some nerve to complain that the rights holders didn't contact you to request that you remove pirated material. Maybe you should count yourself lucky that you weren't prosecuted.

Liked
    137 times
    Good news the soon to be released The Human Jungle will now include one of Andrew Pixley's excellent and informative booklets

http://www.networkdvd.net/product_in...oducts_id=1527

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast