Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Country: France
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello,
    I am looking for this film since a very long time without any success, but I am not giving up. I have seen it on television in the late seventies or the early eighties, but it could have been made in the fifties or the sixties.
    Everybody around me think I must have imagined it because nobody can remember it, but I am 100% sure it�s real. I have already posted my question in three other countries, because I am not sure if it was a British or an American film, or maybe from another country.
    Unfortunately, I can�t remember much of it, just the end, but it�s because I think I have only seen the end.
    The film is ending this way : a few kids (maybe 2 or 3) discover golden coins buried or hidden next to a water mill. One of the kids bites in one of the coins, just to check if it�s a real golden coin, but it�s not : it�s chocolate. Yes, really ! I don�t know if the kids were taking part to a treasure hunt or if they have found the coins by accident.
    I just want to add it�s not �Treasure at the mill�. I have the DVD and that�s how I know it�s not.
    THANKS to anyone who could provide a clue and WELL DONE to the one who will find the solution to this big mystery !

PS : It's not :
    The Goonies
    The mystery of applegate treasure
    The horse without a head
    The secrets of pirates inn

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    I thought this sounded familiar but actually I think someone has already asked on your behalf. Still worth trying again though in case any new members know it

http://filmdope.com/forums/ca...sure-hunt.html

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    I thought this sounded familiar but actually I think someone has already asked on your behalf. Still worth trying again though in case any new members know it

http://filmdope.com/forums/ca...sure-hunt.html
    That's right, a member has already asked the question on my behalf.
    By the way, there is really another film than "Treasure at the mill" in which children find a treasure hidden next to a watermill, because somebody else in Germany is looking for it. I can't do it straight away but I will come back to add the translation of his question. It might contains more clues which I can't remember myself.

Liked
    0 times
    With some school memories and a good dictionary I managed to do the translation of a request I found on a german television programmes forum some time ago. This is it :
    "I am looking for a children film in several parts I saw on television in 1967. It was about a group of kids looking for a treasure. The treasure hunt led them to some kind of ruin or some kind of cave in which they found further clues as where the treasure could be hidden. They eventually found the treasure hidden under an old mill. It wasn't "Treasure at the mill" by Malcolm Saville but it could have been english as well."
    So that's it. This person doesn't say anything about chocolate coins but maybe it was just a detail in the film. Anyway I don't think there are many films about children finding a treasure under a mill. That's why I think we are looking for the same film. I tried to get in touch with that person but it didn't succeed, maybe because the request was quite old, 5 or 6 years ago, and nobody come to check the replies anymore.
    Besides, I have been through the CFTF catalogue and my attention has been drawn to this film " The treasure of Woburn Abbey" also known as "Five clues to fortune".
    Does anyone remember this film and can tell me without any doubt it is not the film I am looking for ?
    I thank you in advance.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricy View Post
    Besides, I have been through the CFTF catalogue and my attention has been drawn to this film " The treasure of Woburn Abbey" also known as "Five clues to fortune".
    Does anyone remember this film and can tell me without any doubt it is not the film I am looking for ?
    I thank you in advance.
    I remember the CFF film. I saw it as kid back in the mid 60's. It was B/W and was shown as a series over a few weeks. Can't rememeber many details other than the kids find a clue each week which is a part of some kind of "porcelain" jigsaw. All I can remember for sure is that one of the clues was found on the wall of an old water well.

Can't remember a thing about the conclusion I'm afraid. A "Zoom" and a "Jubbly" was like hard drugs back then.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for sharing your memories of that film with us. I won't rule it out yet as there is still a possibilty it is the one I am looking for.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi !
    I now know for sure that "Five clues to fortune" isn't the one I am looking for. None of the places where the clues to the treasure are hidden is a water mill. And to finish with, the treasure has not been found in or under or next to a water mill.
    So the mystery hasn't been solved yet.
    I have understand that there is no DVD of "Five clues to fortune", which is a shame because it is definitely my kind of film.
    Thanks again for your help and any other suggestion would be welcome.

Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    The BFI is slowly reproducing CFTF films, so will attend to FIVE CLUES TO FORTUNE aka The TREASURE OF WOBURN ABBEY sooner or later. The Duke of Bedford could expedite the process by offering the BFI some sponsorship. The DVDs would be a popular feature of the Woburn Abbey gift shop. Presumably the film (originally broadcast in eight episodes) was shot at Woburn?

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Yes, the serial was actually shot at Woburn (most probably in the summer school holidays of 1956) and, now that I have a film and negative scanner, I have scanned the three 35mm clippings from the serial that I cut out during the last time I ran it at the Plaza 42 years ago in April, 1970, and upload them here for the first time. The serial had been run quite a few times at the Plaza before then. Note the now obsolete variable density optical soundtrack. David Hemmings and Roberta Patterson are on the clippings, but I don't know the name of the boy in the checked shirt. On the David Hemmings clip, you can see Woburn Abbey in the background.

Liked
    0 times
    Happy to hear that "Treasure of Woburn Abbey" could be released on a DVD. I have started a collection of these CFF films, at least the ones I can find. They really are... how could I say ? Refreshing. Yes, refreshing is the word.

Junior Member Country: France Vera's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Up!
    I'm also looking for the title of this movie! Thanks!
    Last edited by Vera; 05-02-14 at 09:40 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    Five Clues to Fortune was released on DVD during the past month in Germany and is available through amazon.de and has the original English soundtrack. Excellent transfer, too.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00H...pf_rd_i=301128

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Darren,
    I have bought the DVD Five clues to fortune on Amazon.de and I do agree with you, the transfer is excellent.
    I really enjoyed to watch the film and I am now sure that this is not the film I am looking for. Remember, the kids who find a gold coins treasure near a watermill.
    I was waiting for Five clues to fortune to come out on Amazon.de and now I know it's not the one, I can start again looking for it.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Vera,
    I think we already know each other from "Comment�amarche" ? Which film are you looking for ? Five clues to fortune or the other film with a treasure hidden next to a water mill, but not Treasure at the mill ?

Liked
    98 times
    An original 35mm clipping of John Rogers and Roberta Patterson in Five Clues to Fortune.

Junior Member Country: France Vera's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricy View Post
    Hi Vera,
    I think we already know each other from "Comment�amarche" ? Which film are you looking for ? Five clues to fortune or the other film with a treasure hidden next to a water mill, but not Treasure at the mill ?
    Salut Tricy!

Oui, je suis effectivement Ver@ du Site Comment�amarche... Tu vois je ne t'ai pas oubli�e, je suis toujours � la recherche de ton Film, celui o� les enfants ont d�couvert un tr�sor, des pi�ces en chocolat, cach� pr�s d'un moulin � eau...

Liked
    0 times
    Ok ! Thanks Vera. That's a very tough one ! Merci beaucoup !!!!!

Senior Member Country: UK SilverTyne's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    This was solved as The Barnstormers wasn't it?

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverTyne View Post
    This was solved as The Barnstormers wasn't it?
    I would have liked it to be solved as the Barnstormers but I need to watch the series to be 100% sure. The only thing which gives me a doubt about the Barnstormers is that the kids in there are teenagers. I thought they were much younger in the film I am looking for. I really need to watch the Barnstormers to be able to say yes it is my film or no it isn't. The big problem is there is no hope to find a copy if I have got it right.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi again, I just wanted to add I have been doing some more investigations about the series the Barnstormers after I've read your last post. I have found out the series has been broadcast on dutch television in 1966 under the title "Het geheim van de oude molen", which means "The secret of the old mill" (I say thank you to my dictionary). All that reminds me of "Five clues to fortune" and the copies we could get from Germany. Could it be that a copy of the Barnstormers could be found somewhere in the Netherlands ? I couldn't find anything in french about it and I have no clue under which title the series would be known if it had ever been broadcast on french television. The good thing is that the foreign films are always in the original version in the Netherlands with a dutch subtitle. So I have just started a new thread on a dutch forum about it. Hopefully we will know more about it in a few days or weeks. It would be great to find a copy of the Barnstormers, even if it's not the one I am looking for. I'll keep you posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast