Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Just arrived in my collection today, this 1947 Shepperton Studios publicity portrait of eight years old Bobby Henrey as Phillipe.

Last edited by darrenburnfan; 24-06-14 at 08:11 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    Thursday, June 26th, 2014. Robert 'Bobby' Henrey is 75 years old today. Congratulations, Robert, on reaching your three quarters of a century!
    Another Great Achievement and Many Happy Returns!

Liked
    98 times
    Just arrived in my collection, this vintage press still showing a dramatic scene from The Fallen Idol, with, left to right, Denis O'Dea; Karel Stepanek; Sir Ralph Richardson and, his face hidden by Sir Ralph's left hand, Bernard Lee.

Liked
    98 times
    Just arrived in my collection, an 8 x 10 press still from The Fallen Idol of the scene in the police station, with sergeant George Woodbridge and constables Ralph Norman and Torin Thatcher surrounding runaway Bobby Henrey who is meeting the gaze of 'tart with a heart' Dora Bryan.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    darrenburnfan, is the policeman behind Bobby not actually an uncredited Robert Cawdron?

Liked
    98 times
    Well spotted, Gerald, it is Robert Cawdron. My mistake, I was going by the names of the only two uniformed policemen in the cast besides Woodbridge and Thatcher and poor old Cawdron isn't mentioned in the cast list on the IMDb.

UPDATE:

I have just added Robert Cawdron to the cast list of The Fallen Idol on the IMDb as Policeman (uncredited). It may take a few days to show up on there.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 22-07-14 at 06:03 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    Below: two more vintage 8 x 10 press stills from The Fallen Idol entered into my collection today. TOP PICTURE: Another view of Phillipe (Bobby Henrey) and MacGregor in the nursery taken at the same session as the one on page 8, post 153 of this thread. See if you can spot the difference between them. BOTTOM PICTURE: On following Baines (Sir Ralph Richardson), Phillipe finds him in an out-of-the -way tea shop, having a clandestine meeting with his lover, Julie (Michele Morgan). Baines just wants to be alone with Julie to talk things out with her and offers Phillipe a cream bun on a plate, suggesting to him that he take it outside and eat it there. But Phillipe, resenting Julie coming between him and Baines, won't take the hint.

Senior Member Country: Australia lllIIlllIIlllIIl's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    ^ Was it Selznick who demanded that Michele Morgan be cast?

She already had exposure in US films. Was Greene's original character French?

Senior Member Country: Australia lllIIlllIIlllIIl's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    ...Karel Stepanek...
    Ah! He appeared in Sir Carol's next film.

Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lllIIlllIIlllIIl View Post
    ^ Was it Selznick who demanded that Michele Morgan be cast?

She already had exposure in US films. Was Greene's original character French?
    As I recall from reading Greene's original short story, The Basement Room, she was English, but in different drafts of the screenplay she was first Spanish (the film script originally being set in the Spanish embassy) and then French, being set in the French embassy, which worked better.

Liked
    98 times
    I thought other members may like to see a scan of the front of the glossy 75th birthday card designed and printed by me and sent to Bobby Henrey in Connecticut. He was very pleased with it and told me it was almost worth reaching 75 just to receive it. I could have sent him a factory printed card, but decided on the personal touch. Some people who are very clever with computers could no doubt have done a more elaborate one, but this was the very best I could do with the equipment and knowledge that I have.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    Darrenburnfan, a very nice card, how long did it take you to design and print the card, I am sure the above card will take pride of place in Bobby's home.

I can remember reading on another Thread that you once sent a birthday card to Jon Whiteley - http://filmdope.com/forums/ac...-whiteley.html

Liked
    98 times
    Thanks, Billy. It was the best I could do. Bobby has put it in with his Fallen Idol collection. Yes, I did once send a 60th birthday card to Jon Whiteley way back in February, 2005, but it wasn't as good as the one I made for Bobby Henrey. I've improved in design and production since then. Bobby's card took me a day to design (covers and inside spread) and about five minutes to print in high definition on Epson ink jet semi-gloss printing paper. I don't think I'll still be around for his centenary, even if he his.

Liked
    98 times
    A vintage 8 x 10 press still from The Fallen Idol just arrived in my collection today of a scene with Sir Ralph Richardson and Michele Morgan.

Liked
    98 times
    A GROUND-BREAKING SCENE

Phillipe, in his confusion, mistakenly thought that the new piece of evidence that the police had just found would somehow prove Baines guilty when Phillipe knew it was he, Phillipe, who had knocked over the flower pot a day or two earlier and, realising that telling lies had got himself, Baines and Julie into a terrible dilemma, he tried desperately to get the police to listen to him as he told the truth. “Oh, sir, that was me, I knocked it over”, but, regarding him as a boy who had cried wolf, they ignored him. Phillipe, believing that this mistaken ‘evidence’ would enable the police to take his beloved Baines away from him forever, tries desperately to get their attention in what was obviously, to him, quite literally a matter of life and death: “Oh, sir, I have something to tell you, please listen to me, you must listen to me, it will only take a moment and it will put everything right!” This scene, with the terribly desperate little boy desperately trying to save his idol and the police totally ignoring him, is one of the most amazing things ever put on film and plays just as powerfully now as it did way back in 1948.

Liked
    98 times
    "MacGregor lives here!", Phillipe proudly announced to Julie. But to his horror,
    when he removed the loose brick from the wall, he found that MacGregor wasn't there!
    Bobby Henrey and Michele Morgan in a key scene from The Fallen Idol.

Last edited by darrenburnfan; 17-09-14 at 02:29 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    These pages have been scanned from The British Film Annual 1949, which covers the releases of all the British films of 1948. There is a mystery here. The actor on the right in the top photo playing Baines is listed as being Ralph Richardson...except that it isn't. Sir Ralph didn't have a Bob Hope nose and the eyes are all wrong, too. So who was he and how did he get into this press still? The other two actors in the still were actually in the film and this scene was in the film as well, except with the real Ralph Richardson.

Liked
    182 times
    These pages have been scanned from The British Film Annual 1949, which covers the releases of all the British films of 1948. There is a mystery here. The actor on the right in the top photo playing Baines is listed as being Ralph Richardson...except that it isn't. Sir Ralph didn't have a Bob Hope nose and the eyes are all wrong, too. So who was he and how did he get into this press still? The other two actors in the still were actually in the film and this scene was in the film as well, except with the real Ralph Richardson.

I know Carol Reed doubled for Ralph Richardson in some of the location scenes, but it's not him. It's probably Ralph's stand-in; I can't remember who that was, but maybe Scott Palmer will know.

Liked
    98 times
    I hope so, Gerald, because that still has puzzled me for a while. Maybe the stand-in went through the paces on this scene while the shot was set up and somehow this still got taken and released as a press still.

Liked
    182 times
    I hope so, Gerald, because that still has puzzled me for a while. Maybe the stand-in went through the paces on this scene while the shot was set up and somehow this still got taken and released as a press still.
    Well, Scott has checked and sadly it seems nobody can remember who Ralph Richardson's stand-in was.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast