Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Oh, that's a shame. Immortalised in a still and identity unknown. Bobby Henrey also had a stand-in named Eric (surname not known) who, although the same size as Bobby was actually twice Bobby's age and whose main job as a stand-in was to stand-in for Bobby in a scene while the shot was being set up so that Bobby wouldn't get tired before an actual take. Here they are together in a photo scanned from the 1948 book A Film Star in Belgrave Square.

Senior Member Country: Australia IlllIIllllIIii's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I have an alternative theory about that odd-looking 'Ralph Richardson'.

This thread has the wonderfully crisp photographs which I assume were taken by a large-format still camera on the set but also images from magazines (which I assume MAY have been taken from the celluloid emulsion or reproduced from pre-printed lobby cards pictures). The magazines MAY have been printed by the Rotogravure printing process which tends to 'soften' or blur the image and an over-zealous member of the 'Pre-Press Department' may have taken up a brush to 'touch-up' indistinct details of the eyelid and mouth as well as all those inevitable dust-spots.

Liked
    98 times
    You could be right there. I've yet to find an official glossy 8 x 10 press still of the image in question, although it was obviously made available to the press and certain publishers to include in film annuals and such. I now have 63 original 8 x 10 glossy press stills from the film, many of which I have uploaded on this thread and some of which pre-date the film's release as The Fallen Idol, as they have the film's original title The Lost Illusion stamped on the back. However, none of the now very expensive and hard to find press stills in my collection show any signs of being touched up in any way, so maybe this was the only one to have such a thing done to it, if that is indeed the explanation.

Liked
    98 times
    The two latest vintage 8 x 10 press stills from The Fallen Idol to be added to my collection.

"I'M SICK OF YOUR LIES! YOU'RE TURNING INTO A REGULAR LITTLE LIAR!", screamed the demented Mrs Baines at Phillipe,
    as she violently shook the terrified boy.
    Bobby Henrey and Sonia Dresdel.

"You've got to leave Baines alone", Phillipe told the detective, "he didn't do it!" Jack Hawkins and Bobby Henrey.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    The two latest vintage 8 x 10 press stills from The Fallen Idol to be added to my collection.

"I'M SICK OF YOUR LIES! YOU'RE TURNING INTO A REGULAR LITTLE LIAR!", screamed the demented Mrs Baines at Phillipe,
    as she violently shook the terrified boy.
    Bobby Henrey and Sonia Dresdel.

"You've got to leave Baines alone", Phillipe told the detective, "he didn't do it!" Jack Hawkins and Bobby Henrey.

There are several additions here I had not seen. Very nice - these two are gems, excellent quality.

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, Tim, I'm very proud to have them in my collection. I now have 64 original 8 x 10 press stills from the film and numerous other stills in various vintage magazines.

Liked
    98 times
    I just discovered this video on the Internet from last October or the now 75 years old Bobby Henrey giving an illustrated talk on his childhood fame in The Fallen Idol to a meeting of pensioners in Greenwich, Connecticut, where he now lives. It runs 51 minutes and there is a question and answer session after it.

Here is the link:

http://vimeo.com/103588872

Liked
    98 times
    Sir Alexander Korda presents Bobby Henrey with a film camera in 1947.
    A clearer image of the same as featured in the above video where it can be seen projected on a screen.
    It would be a scoop for my collection if I could come across an original 8 x 10 glossy press photo of this.

Liked
    98 times
    Regarding Robert's talk given to the Retired Men's Association in Greenwich, Connecticut, it would be a good idea if it could be released as an extra on a future re-release DVD of the film, although they'd have to re-do those captions that keep coming onto the picture at intervals naming him as Richard Henrey instead of Robert Henrey. Going by the things he said, I think he's finally coming to realise that, as good as the adults were in The Fallen Idol, it was he who carried the film, being the central character in it and it was his film, no doubt about it. The original title, The Lost Illusion, reflected his character being the central one and I wonder if the reason that the title was changed just before release to The Fallen Idol was to appease Ralph Richardson, who thought that with his name being above the title, the title should reflect that he was the central character. They all must have realised at the first private screening that Bobby had run away with the film, which is why his name appears in bigger type on the posters than the main stars. Odd, though, listening to him, how he keeps referring to himself as a child in the third person..."The way Carol Reed directed the kid", instead of "The way Carol Reed directed me..." A psychologist may be able to explain that.

Liked
    98 times
    By the way, the video was recorded in August, 2014, not October as I previously stated.

Member Country: United States Jennythenipper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I've done a fair amount of research on Fallen Idol since I wrote a fan fiction on it. I don't know if you've read Graham Greene's original story (you can find it online, if you have trouble let me know and I'll send you a copy) but it's really interesting to see the differences between the short story and the final film. There were significant changes to the plot and tone of it to make it more cinematic. Since Greene collaborated with Reed it was a very friendly set of changes and I think it's one of the great examples of a writer/director collab, and can stand with anything Powell and Pressburger did together.
    Also it's great fun to go and look at the locations where it was filmed. The Tavern that's in the film, The Star is still there!

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, Jenny, I have downloaded The Basement Room and there were quite a few changes made from short story to final screenplay, most notably the happy ending, which some say comes as a relief to all the preceeding tension and others thinking it would have worked better if the innocent Baines, unable to take the police harrassment any more, had shot himself in the basement, with a heartbroken Phillipe, on hearing the shot, running down to the basement in horror and, with a "Oh, no, no, no, no!" sobbing over the body of his idol, before turning on Inspector Crowe with hatred in his eyes, beating him with his clenched fists and screaming "YOU KILLED HIM! YOU KILLED MY BAINES! I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU!" as Crowe just stands there, staring blankly ahead as he takes the blows from the boy and then Julie holding the boy in her arms as he sobs uncontrolably "They killed him! They killed him! They killed him!", and gently takes him up the stairs away from the basement room. What an ending that would have made! People would have been leaving the cinema after that in a very upset state.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 28-02-15 at 12:47 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    Another 8 x 10 publicity photo, this time showing Producer / Director Carol Reed lining up a shot through the viewfinder of the huge 35mm camera,
    watched by Assistant Director Guy Hamilton (left) and Camera Operator Denys Coop (right) while making The Fallen Idol at Shepperton Studios in 1947.

Liked
    98 times
    When I bought a second hand copy of the first edition hardback of the book A Film Star in Belgrave Square some time ago, I found that a previous owner had tucked inside the book these four vintage newspaper clippings from late 1948 editions of the Daily Express and Daily Mail (I think the fourth clipping may be from early 1949). One clipping consisted of two halves pinned together.

Liked
    98 times
    Just arrived in my collection today, a vintage Photoplay magazine (UK issue) from May, 1950, cointaining a three page feature on Bobby Henrey, with some good photos (I may scan and upload them later). At this time, he had just finished making The Wonder Kid and the article says that his next part will be playing the Prince Imperial, the only son of Emperor Napoleon III of France, when he was a boy. The Prince had a very spectacular life and died a gallant death at the age of 23 in 1879 fighting the Zulus in Natal during the Zulu wars, so this would have been some epic, but I can find no record of it ever being made. I shall have to ask Bobby if he remembers anything about this, as I can find no mention of it in his autobiography. Does anyone here know anything about this film?

Liked
    98 times
    Photoplay, Volume 1, Number 3, May, 1950.

Liked
    98 times
    Does anyone know the date of the public premiere of The Fallen Idol in London and the cinema where it was premiered? I know that the Trade Show for the film was held at the Rialto, Coventry Street, London, on Thursday, August 19th, 1948, but that wouldn't have been the public premiere before the general release of the film. I've searched all over the Internet for information on it and there's nothing. Although Robert (Bobby) Henrey's autobiography contains a press photo of him and his mother at the premiere, he doesn't say when and where this was held, except that it was in London.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Hi, David:

I checked my 1948 Daily Mail Annual in case there was a photo of the premiere, but nothing. Ditto Pathe news site, nothing I could find on the premiere. Have you checked Carol Reed's biography or one of many on Ralph Richardson? If Bobby Henrey was at the premiere, I would think that the director was there and hopefully Richardson. If so, there might be a mention in either of their bios. I'm not near my film magazines for the premiere year, but I will check them later for any mention. There's a pressbook for The Fallen Idol at Ebay. I wonder if the premiere might be mentioned in it. The Rialto Pictures pressbook goes into great detail and does mention the premiere but not where and when.

Good luck.

Barbara
    Last edited by theuofc; 30-03-15 at 12:33 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    Thanks, Barbara, but that's the American press book and so wouldn't have the British premiere date in it. I have Carol Reed's biography and I haven't found any mention of the premiere date in there. But I will have another look later just to be sure. Kinematrograph Weekly and The Daily Cinema trade magazines from that time would have the premiere in them, but any copies of such magazines from 67 years ago are very hard to come across now.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Thanks, Barbara, but that's the American press book and so wouldn't have the British premiere date in it. I have Carol Reed's biography and I haven't found any mention of the premiere date in there. But I will have another look later just to be sure. Kinematrograph Weekly and The Daily Cinema trade magazines from that time would have the premiere in them, but any copies of such magazines from 67 years ago are very hard to come across now.
    Yes, you're right about a U.S. pressbook. The Rialto pressbook was amazingly detailed but no dates, alas. Graham Greene must have been at the premiere also. Worth a check. I have the bios but I'm never near them when I want them.

All best,
    Barbara

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast