Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    I just discovered this video on the Internet from last October or the now 75 years old Bobby Henrey giving an illustrated talk on his childhood fame in The Fallen Idol to a meeting of pensioners in Greenwich, Connecticut, where he now lives. It runs 51 minutes and there is a question and answer session after it.

Here is the link:

http://vimeo.com/103588872
    Thanks very much for this. I know Greenwich - it is interesting to see that he lives there now.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    My pleasure, Tim. I've been around Greenwich using Google Street View and it looks like a very nice place to live.

Liked
    98 times
    I paid a fiver through PayPal for 48 hours access to the pages of the Daily Express for 1948 on the UK Press Online website and have now found the date of the public premiere of The Fallen Idol and the cinema where it was publicly premiered, which was at the Empire, Leicester Square, London, on Thursday, September 30th, 1948. There's a poster in the paper advertising this fact and a really high-praise review of the film with a photo of Bobby Henrey.

Liked
    98 times
    BELOW: Bobby Henrey, accompanied by his mother, Madeleine, at the premiere of The Fallen Idol, held at the Empire cinema, Leicester Square, London, on Thursday, September 30th, 1948. Featured in the autobiography Through Grown-Up Eyes: Living With Childhood Fame by Robert Henrey, published in September, 2013, by The Polperro Heritage Press. Clifton-upon-Teme, Worcestershire and highly recommended.

Last edited by darrenburnfan; 06-04-15 at 02:48 PM.

Member Country: Great Britain Arena's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Excellent film
    Mrs A and I have watched it several times.

Liked
    98 times
    It's a classic right enough, Arena. I'm expecting some more vintage 8 x 10 press stills from the film during the next fortnight and I will gradually upload them here as they arrive.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    I paid a fiver through PayPal for 48 hours access to the pages of the Daily Express for 1948 on the UK Press Online website and have now found the date of the public premiere of The Fallen Idol and the cinema where it was publicly premiered, which was at the Empire, Leicester Square, London, on Thursday, September 30th, 1948. There's a poster in the paper advertising this fact and a really high-praise review of the film with a photo of Bobby Henrey.
    Well done, David! I've been wondering if you ever found out. Nice. And the Empire is still in business.

Barbara

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by theuofc View Post
    Well done, David! I've been wondering if you ever found out. Nice. And the Empire is still in business.

Barbara
    But not the Empire that Bobby Henrey would have known it Barbara, and a pleasure to have you once more in residence! Nor the Empire my generation would have known from the 1960s or 1970s

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/912

being at present a hotly debated conversion drama.

I've tried checking up images of the Empire Leicester Square for 1948, but the nearest I get is Judy Garland in Easter Parade.

Liked
    98 times
    There's this Pathe News clip, Rick, of the Royal Film Performance, filmed inside the Empire, Leicester Square, on Monday, November 29th, 1948, with the then nine years old Bobby Henrey, looking very pleased and happy, presenting a bouquet of orchids to the Queen. He had arranged the bouquet himself. The film chosen for the performance was Scott of the Antarctic. There's also the same subject on British Movietone News, but showing the exterior of the Empire. One thing is apparent...it had a massive foyer in those days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX5uOKdDYOg

Liked
    98 times

Barbara
    Thanks, Barbara. It was worth a fiver to find out at long last!

Liked
    98 times
    Daily Express, page 2, Friday, October 1st, 1948.

Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    But not the Empire that Bobby Henrey would have known it Barbara, and a pleasure to have you once more in residence! Nor the Empire my generation would have known from the 1960s or 1970s

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/912

being at present a hotly debated conversion drama.

I've tried checking up images of the Empire Leicester Square for 1948, but the nearest I get is Judy Garland in Easter Parade.
    Hi, Rick, and a Happy Good Day to you too!

I've missed being here and lovely members like you are the reason. Thanks for the information about the Empire. I guess they all change, alas, to draw in crowds, but covering over the beautiful plaster work seemed a shame. I've known some gorgeous old theatres that were renovated and worse yet, the decorative trim was ripped out.

Nice to chat with you,

Barbara
    Last edited by theuofc; 08-04-15 at 01:56 PM.

Liked
    399 times
    Just arrived in my collection today, a vintage Photoplay magazine (UK issue) from May, 1950, cointaining a three page feature on Bobby Henrey, with some good photos (I may scan and upload them later). At this time, he had just finished making The Wonder Kid and the article says that his next part will be playing the Prince Imperial, the only son of Emperor Napoleon III of France, when he was a boy. The Prince had a very spectacular life and died a gallant death at the age of 23 in 1879 fighting the Zulus in Natal during the Zulu wars, so this would have been some epic, but I can find no record of it ever being made. I shall have to ask Bobby if he remembers anything about this, as I can find no mention of it in his autobiography. Does anyone here know anything about this film?

Hi, David,

It would have been wonderful if a film on the Prince Imperial had gone forward. And I can see Bobby Henrey in that role. I had no idea what the Prince looked like but here he is at 14.

Barbara

Member Country: Great Britain Arena's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Madeleine Gal Henrey, mother of Bobby Henrey, appears briefly at the very end of the film as Phillipe's mother.
    It says in IMDB

Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arena View Post
    Madeleine Gal Henrey, mother of Bobby Henrey, appears briefly at the very end of the film as Phillipe's mother.
    It says in IMDB
    Quite true, Arena, it is her and I read somewhere that in her one and only scene in any film, she only had to stand in the entrance of the embassy; open her arms to her son and speak one line in French, which translated into English as "My darling, come to me! "and that they had to do quite a few takes of it, because she just couldn't get it right.

Liked
    98 times
    Hi, David,

It would have been wonderful if a film on the Prince Imperial had gone forward. And I can see Bobby Henrey in that role. I had no idea what the Prince looked like but here he is at 14.

Barbara

Thanks, Barbara, and to think that when that photo was taken, he would be dead only nine years later!

Liked
    399 times
    Thanks, Barbara, and to think that when that photo was taken, he would be dead only nine years later!
    Yes, war is a terrible thing. It wipes out legions of young men, princes and commoners alike, all taken from their societies and families. I've read positive comments about the Prince Imperial. Such a shame. Back to Bobby and the film. Perhaps no funding or it went the way of other worthwhile films never made. Thanks for referring to it. I'd never heard of it.

Barbara

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, Barbara and almost all in foreign wars not directly affecting the countries who sent the soldiers there to fight and die. By the way, it's not entirely true what the Daily Express film critic said about Bobby not being let into the plot of The Fallen Idol. Carol Reed let him read the script a bit at a time, so he definitely had an idea of the plot, as can be seen from the photo I uploaded on post 89 of page 5 of this thread.

Liked
    399 times
    Yes, Barbara and almost all in foreign wars not directly affecting the countries who sent the soldiers there to fight and die. By the way, it's not entirely true what the Daily Express film critic said about Bobby not being let into the plot of The Fallen Idol. Carol Reed let him read the script a bit at a time, so he definitely had an idea of the plot, as can be seen from the photo I uploaded on post 89 of page 5 of this thread.
    Hi, David,

I went back to page 5 and then got engrossed with the wonderful stills and comments on The Fallen Idol. You've done a great service to film history by collecting all of these rare items on the film...and sharing them. It's a superb film and I have great admiration for Carol Reed (Odd Man Out, The Third Man). I'd forgotten also what a stylish man he was. And of course, young Bobby was excellent.

Barbara

Liked
    98 times
    Thanks, Barbara. Yes, it's amazing that in those days film directors went to work at the studio in smart suits and ties. No shell suits, track suit bottoms, Nike trainers and baseball caps for British film directors in those days. Pride in appearance meant a lot back then.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast