Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    To celebrate the first 25,000 views on this thread, here is a very nice quality original 8 x 10 press still of Bobby Henrey and Sonia
    Sorry, but the number of views is close to meaningless. Many of them are from search engines trawling the internet to build up its information to do searches

Steve

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I didn't know that, Steve...it's the first I've heard of it.

Senior Member Country: Australia IlllIIllllIIii's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the enjoyed my 'views' here in this thread. And I admit I don't understand why or how 'search engines trawl the internet to build up information to do searches'.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IlllIIllllIIii View Post
    I have the enjoyed my 'views' here in this thread. And I admit I don't understand why or how 'search engines trawl the internet to build up information to do searches'.
    When you look for things with Google or any other search engine it doesn't search the whole of the internet for it there & then. That would take ages to do every search. Instead they regularly send out many "robots" to read each page and see what's changed and they store the changes back in the search engine. The search engine cleverly indexes everything so that to do a search it just has to search through what it has indexed. That's how they can search so quickly.

Although it does mean that they aren't always 100% up to date with recent changes or new pages and it also means that they might send you to a page that's no longer there. But it works OK most of the time.

However it also means that there are lots of robots scurrying around checking for changes and reading changed web pages. Some robots from each search engine (Google, Yahoo, Ask Jeeves and the thousands of others). These robots don't always identify themselves so anything that counts "page views" will be getting the wrong answer

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    ...there are lots of robots scurrying around checking for changes...
    I overwhelmed how the digital world can do all this, and all invisible to the naked eye.

Liked
    98 times
    If you Google The Fallen Idol images on Google, most of the stills on there from the film link back to this thread on Britmovie because I uploaded them on here...which makes me feel quite chuffed really, considering how much I've paid for these rare stills over the years, which is a considerable amount.

Liked
    98 times
    Here is a link to Bobby's interview with Libby Purves on the Midweek programme on BBC Radio 4 on Wednesday, September 11th, 2013 (five days after I met him). The interview starts about 13 minutes into the programme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHnD1pynwJI

Robert 'Bobby' Henrey has been asked a number of times the question he was asked on this programme, namely how did Carol Reed get that wonderful performance out of him in 'The Fallen Idol' and he never gives a direct answer, quite possibly because he just doesn't remember. Well, after all, it is 68 years ago. On the strength of Bobby's performance in the film, Sir Alexander Korda signed Bobby to a staggering (in 1948) �30,000 contract to make four more pictures for London Films between 1948 and 1952, only one of which, 'The Wonder Kid', filmed between September, 1949 and early 1950, was ever made. In April, 1950, he was about to start work on his next film, 'Prince Imperial', in which he was to play the only son of Emperor Napoleon III of France as a boy. But the film was never made and Bobby was made to attend Downside boarding school instead by his parents, his film career over. That being the case, as he didn't complete the four picture contract, what about the �30,000 that was supposedly to be held in trust for him until he was 21? Was the contract then broken by Korda? A bit of a mystery there.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 25-05-15 at 08:45 AM.

Liked
    98 times
    A correction to what I typed above. Bobby's first boarding school was Northaw, near Ashford in Kent (a school that burned down while he was a pupil there). He didn't move to Downside until he was 13 in 1952.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 25-05-15 at 04:56 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    Bobby Henrey, child actor, aged 9 years, photographed by Cecil Beaton on Monday, October 18th, 1948.
    National Portrait Gallery, London.

Liked
    98 times
    BELOW: A much clearer image of the still that was scanned from an old magazine on page 6, post 106 of this thread. This panoramic view of the embassy foyer
    was scanned from a high quality 8 x 10 press still and shows, left to right, James Hayter; Karel Stepanek; Gerard Heinz and Sir Ralph Richardson.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    The Third Man is on Turner Classic Movies. This is the most astoundingly perfect movie. Not an image or word in the dialogue is superfluous. And Joseph Cotten is superb. I love the scene on the huge ferris wheel. And the accusations against Harry are awful because they are not expressed in a grand lecture. And Valli is so beautiful and believable. And the "Bill Sykes-like" finale. I love this film, because it is subtle and monumental at the same time. And so very intelligent. I am so glad it was black and white.

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, Carol Reed scored a hat trick of three perfect movies in succession from 1947 to 1949, Odd Man Out; The Fallen Idol and The Third Man, all equally as good, although The Third Man gets the most screenings these days and seems to have become the definitive Carol Reed film.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    BELOW: A much clearer image of the still that was scanned from an old magazine on page 6, post 106 of this thread. This panoramic view of the embassy foyer
    was scanned from a high quality 8 x 10 press still and shows, left to right, James Hayter; Karel Stepanek; Gerard Heinz and Sir Ralph Richardson.

Hello, David,

I want to say again what an amazing thread this is on THE FALLEN IDOL, and down to your efforts and generosity in sharing all of these thrilling stills. I say 'thrilling' because of the pristine quality of image and their rarity. Thank you so much for sharing them with us. Every time I come to BritMovie, I have another look at all the images in here. Carol Reed is one of my favourite directors so the stills with him are an extra treat.

All best wishes,

Barbara

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Hello, David,

I would have sent this poster to you but the BritM email system doesn't seem to allow images, so with your permission, I'm directly uploading it. I came across it in an old movie magazine and was struck by its vivid colours.

Enjoy,

Barbara

Liked
    98 times
    Many thanks, Barbara. That's the American poster, of course. There were two designs of the British quad poster, the first one quite plain and another issued a few months later on which Bobby Henrey had a large image and his name in larger lettering, reflecting the fact that by then, he had become very popular indeed.

Liked
    98 times
    This 8 x 10 press still shows Bobby Henrey and Sir Ralph Richardson in a scene that wasn't included in the finished film.

Liked
    0 times
    ^ I wonder what they are eating?

Do you know what happens in this scene? I must admit I find Baines' character rather unclear because we're obliged to see the story through the uncomprehending eyes of the child.

Liked
    98 times
    I've no idea what they're eating, but it looks like black pudding. Yes, there's a lot about Baines character that is unexplained, such as did he serve in the armed forces during the war and if not, where did he get the revolver and ammunition and whatever possessed him to marry that obnoxious woman and if there ever was any love between them, what became of it?

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    I subscribe to Movie Memories Magazine - http://www.moviememoriesmagazine.com/home.html I receive three issues a year, in the last issue (number 82) I received, there was a three page article titled - The filmed works of Graham Greene, The Fallen Idol (1948) was of course mentioned in the article, and on page 2 of the article there was a Poster (in black and white) for The Fallen Idol, the Poster (which can be seen on page 2 of the three page article) can be seen in the following article - http://ocdviewer.com/tag/british-cinema/ in colour.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    I have a one-off copy of LiteratureFilmQuarterly (Autumn 1974) which dissects each major scene in Fallen Idol. The essay devoted to the film is quite psychologically orientated, for example, " Fallen Idol has the charcters' lies spring from their best intentions.....the social corruption of The Third Man is replaced by well-intentioned duplicity". (Salisbury State College, USA,1974).

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast