Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy farmer View Post
    I subscribe to Movie Memories Magazine - http://www.moviememoriesmagazine.com/home.html I receive three issues a year, in the last issue (number 82) I received, there was a three page article titled - The filmed works of Graham Greene, The Fallen Idol (1948) was of course mentioned in the article, and on page 2 of the article there was a Poster (in black and white) for The Fallen Idol, the Poster (which can be seen on page 2 of the three page article) can be seen in the following article - http://ocdviewer.com/tag/british-cinema/ in colour.
    Thanks for the link, Billy. Very interesting, although I think we should take Guy Hamilton's sarcastic remarks about Bobby Henrey's acting ability and short attention span with a large pinch of salt. If he was as bad as Hamilton says he was, he would have been replaced with another actor early on in the filming in September, 1947. But he was kept on to the end in 1948 and both Carol Reed and Sir Alexander Korda were very pleased with his performance, which made Bobby a star overnight. I think the secret of his amazing performance and the reason it comes across as so natural is that he wasn't actually acting, he was just being himself and he successfully carried the film with that naturalness.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 03-06-15 at 09:05 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    I have a one-off copy of LiteratureFilmQuarterly (Autumn 1974) which dissects each major scene in Fallen Idol. The essay devoted to the film is quite psychologically orientated, for example, " Fallen Idol has the charcters' lies spring from their best intentions.....the social corruption of The Third Man is replaced by well-intentioned duplicity". (Salisbury State College, USA,1974).
    I'll have to look out for that publication. It sounds interesting. Maybe it'll turn up on eBay one of these days.

Liked
    98 times
    "BAINES!" Phillipe (Bobby Henrey) excitedly shouts across to his idol to bring his attention to the sea lions being fed at London Zoo in Regent's Park.
    But Baines is too preoccupied with his girlfriend Julie to take any notice of the boy.

Liked
    98 times
    The Fallen Idol gets the full Front-of-House treatment at the Trans Lux cinema in Washington, DC, in 1949.

Liked
    98 times
    "What’s the boy been doing?" Doctor Fenton (Walter Fitzgerald) asks a nervous Baines (Sir Ralph Richardson) as Phillipe (Bobby Henrey) looks on.

Liked
    98 times
    I have just had an email from Bobby Henrey, thanking me for my letter and birthday card (he will be 76 on June 26th). He is intrigued by the report of his interview in the Photoplay magazine that was published in April, 1950, as his mind is a complete blank on it and he has absolutely no recollection of being chosen to play the Prince Imperial in that film. Well, it is 65 years ago and we can't remember everything. So that's why it wasn't included in his book. He also thanks me for finding out the date and the place of the premiere of The Fallen Idol for him. He wishes that he'd have known it when he was writing the book.

I have been doing some thinking about Prince Imperial. He was still under contract to Sir Alexander Korda at that time and this part would have been specially chosen for him, because the part called for a boy star who could speak French fluently and speak English with a French accent. There was only one other British boy star of the same age as Bobby at that time and that was John Howard Davies. But not only was he under contract to J. Arthur Rank, but he wasn't anglo-French as Bobby was. So it was Bobby or no one. Now all this seems to have coincided with Bobby's parents rather sudden decision to send him off to school for the first time at Northaw boarding school near Ashford in Kent, where Bobby had a very, very unhappy time. So my guess is that because Bobby was so important to the film and there was no sign of a replacement for him on the horizon, when Bobby was packed off to Northaw, Korda probably abandoned the film and it was never made. However, there would have been costume tests done for the film long before it went before the film cameras at Shepperton and maybe one day, a photo of Bobby in costume for the film will turn up. They are probably out there somewhere. Because of the epic scope of the subject, it's quite likely that the film would have been made in Technicolor.

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Never seen it but I think I will try...

Liked
    98 times
    The excerpts on YouTube are a bit low res and not very sharp, Alicia. Best to get the DVD, which is still available from amazon; Movie Mail; Play dot com and all the usual suspects, or can be ordered from your local HMV store if they haven't got in in stock.

Liked
    98 times
    Robert 'Bobby' Henrey is 76 years old today! Many Happy Returns, Robert!

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Inspired by this thread, I found a resonably priced DVD on eBay, and am looking forward to seeing it. I saw it years ago as a child when it was shown on television, and remember finding Sonia Dresdel's performance very frightening.
    Thank you, darrenburnfan, for the thread!

Liked
    98 times
    Thanks, Zither. I hope you enjoy the DVD. If it's an official release from Criterion or Studio Canal, it will contain the restored version. If it's a bootleg transferred from on old video, it won't look so good. So I hope your DVD is of one of the official DVD versions.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Thanks, Zither. I hope you enjoy the DVD. If it's an official release from Criterion or Studio Canal, it will contain the restored version. If it's a bootleg transferred from on old video, it won't look so good. So I hope your DVD is of one of the official DVD versions.
    It arrived today - it is Studio Canal, so that's good.

Liked
    98 times
    Another press photo of Carol Reed on the set...probably checking the lighting.

Senior Member Country: Australia IlllIIllllIIii's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    (^ I reckon he's on his haunches to talk with a short person. )

Liked
    98 times
    I think he did a lot of squatting down to talk to Bobby Henrey, who was probably about 4 foot 2, while Carol was over 6 foot.

Liked
    98 times
    Carol Reed directs Bobby Henrey on the set.

Senior Member Country: Australia IlllIIllllIIii's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Sir Carol Reed was so often described as a 'children's director' but �as far as I know� there was just Fallen Idol, A Kid for two Farthings and later, when his career was winding down, Oliver!. There weren't others, were there?

Liked
    98 times
    I can't think of any others, except for Outcast of the Islands (1952), which had a young native boy in it who, if I remember correctly, went about completely naked in the film. Well, at least there would have been no wardrobe costs for him.

Liked
    98 times
    Hmmm, I'd forgotten that there were also children in Odd Man Out and The Third Man, but they only had small parts in them.

Liked
    98 times
    From the American ‘Silver Screen’ magazine dated July, 1949. Sir Ralph must have been quite envious of the attention that Bobby Henrey was getting, as Bobby was the main attraction in The Fallen Idol on both sides of the Atlantic.

THE FALLEN IDOL – Exceptional Drama
    (Selznick Releasing Organisation).

From a short story by Graham Greene and utilising a screenplay by the same, this stars Sir Ralph Richardson; Michele Morgan and a superb young actor named Bobby Henrey. Richardson – major domo of a London embassy – wants a divorce from his irascible wife (Sonia Dresdel) so he can marry Michele. While spying on the pair, the wife falls to her death, Richardson is blamed, finally exonerated. So much for the plot. The impact of this British film – produced and directed by Carol Reed – lies in its air of complete naturalness and in the effective acting of everyone – especially that of Bobby Henrey, the most capable child actor to be seen on any screen, bar none. There’s not a false note present as excitement after excitement keeps you on your seat edge, as genuine touches makes this a drama you witness as an eavesdropper and not as a patron of the theatrical arts. A film for movie connoisseurs…

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast