Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Just arrived in my collection, these two original 8 x 10 publicity portraits of Sir Ralph Richardson in The Fallen Idol. A number of these portraits were taken of
    Sir Ralph by Ted Reed at Shepperton Studios to promote his role in the film, each one of them showing him holding a pipe, which is something he didn't use in the actual film.

Liked
    98 times
    Bobby Henrey meets the Queen at the Empire, Leicester Square, on Monday, November 29th, 1948, as reported by British Movietone News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzd5LxUnPP8

Liked
    98 times
    Showing at the Chichester cinema in Chichester, West Sussex, on Sunday, August 16th, 2015 (details in link below). I suppose it will be a digital presentation rather than 35mm film, so I wonder if they'll show it properly in its original 4 x 3 Academy Ratio, or stretch it out in wide screen, as they did at the Regal, Tenbury Wells, two years ago, making the image very distorted. My guess is that unfortunately, they will, as modern digital projectors can't handle anything unless it's in wide screen and they can only show films that way. The answer, of course, is to have two digital projectors, each to show each system. Otherwise, best to stay at home and watch it on DVD.

http://www.chichestercinema.org/film/the-fallen-idol

Liked
    98 times
    An original 8 x 10 press still photographed by Ted Reed of Michele Morgan and Sir Ralph Richardson in The Fallen Idol.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Showing at the Chichester cinema in Chichester, West Sussex, on Sunday, August 16th, 2015 (details in link below). I suppose it will be a digital presentation rather than 35mm film, so I wonder if they'll show it properly in its original 4 x 3 Academy Ratio, or stretch it out in wide screen, as they did at the Regal, Tenbury Wells, two years ago, making the image very distorted. My guess is that unfortunately, they will, as modern digital projectors can't handle anything unless it's in wide screen and they can only show films that way. The answer, of course, is to have two digital projectors, each to show each system. Otherwise, best to stay at home and watch it on DVD.
    Thanks for that information. I live relatively close to Chichester and am not doing anything next Sunday, so I may very well go along and see THE FALLEN IDOL. I’ve never seen it. It is a gap in my moviegoing, so I should go and see it.

Despite your less than ideal introduction to digital cinema, I am a great enthusiast of the new format. With more and more old films being restored and released digitally and the comparative ease with which cinemas, both commercial and art houses, can screen them as one-off showings it has greatly expanded the opportunities for cinemagoers like me to see them.

There is absolutely no reason why cinemas cannot show these old films properly. They are digitised to the standard 1.85 ‘flat’ format of 1998 horizontal pixels and 1080 vertical pixels and are projected just as any other 1.85 film. That digital image contains the 1.37 Academy ratio picture together with black bars left and right to bring the horizontal width out to 1.85. So the black bars are part of the projected image onto the screen.

The only problem may come when a cinema does not have a proper digital projector and uses a Blu-Ray DVD to show the film. This should only occur when films are being shown in community centres, mobile cinemas or other special events. Here the DVD may go into ‘auto’ mode as in your TV at home and attempt to expand the picture to the full screen width. My one experience of this was at the Renown Film Festival in Rickmansworth last February. All the films and the film clips, many in 4:3, were being controlled by someone with a DVD Player at the rear of the hall. The image was then connected to the hall’s projection room upstairs to display onto the screen. It was a mess, the image was expanded and distorted and the person in charge was out of his depth in understanding what was wrong. After numerous complaints somehow he got it working correctly.

I have no personal knowledge of the Regal at Tenbury Wells where you saw THE FALLEN IDOL. Certainly now their website indicates that they are equipped with all the latest digital equipment. I believe you said in an earlier post that the cinema blamed the media format that the film was sent to them. Most unlikely, I suspect that was a bit of spin and the problem lay with them.

Looking towards the showing at Chichester next week, the Film Festival is being shown at an Arts Centre, not a commercial cinema. Their web site indicates that they have full digital cinema projection equipment together with a 35mm projector and a DVD Player. A number of the films they are showing are Academy 4:3 so I am not expecting any problems. The slightest hint of a problem and I will be out straightaway speaking to someone to get it resolved. I won’t be buying any argument that it is someone’s else’s problem.

I’ll post next week as to how the showing goes.
    Last edited by PhilipW; 11-08-15 at 04:41 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    Thanks, Philip. I hope the screening goes well for you. I remember that I was livid when I saw the way they were showing The Fallen Idol at the Regal, Tenbury Wells. But, although I went to a member of staff to complain, I didn't want to kick up too much of a fuss because I didn't want to spoil Bobby Henrey's evening any more than they had done already, especially with him flying over two thousand miles from Connecticut to see his classic film presented so poorly...and him being one of the stars of it, too. They didn't seem to know what to do to correct the distorted image. Something that would never have happened if they'd run a 35mm print of the film. But the 35mm equipment had been removed and replaced with digital equipment. If my old boss at the Plaza had seen the way they showed it, he would really have flown off the handle at them. The Regal is a beautiful traditional little cinema where either none of the staff knew how to work the new digital equipment properly, or they just weren't bothered how it looked as long as there was a picture on the screen. In which case, they were completely lacking in any sense of showmanship. I found their Facebook page a day or two later and really tore them off a strip about it.

BELOW: A picture of me, taken by Bobby Henrey himself. outside the Regal, Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire, on Friday, September 6th, 2013.

Last edited by darrenburnfan; 11-08-15 at 05:17 PM.

Liked
    0 times
    I went to see FALLEN IDOL today at the New Park Arts Centre as part of the Chichester Film festival.

Good news and bad news.

Good news: The film was shown correctly in the 1.37 Academy ratio with the masking brought in accordingly. This is the first time I had seen it. I enjoyed it a lot, very obvious it was from the same director as THE THIRD MAN, the chase around London was so similar to that around Vienna. Obviously the film felt rather dated in some respects but overall I think it stood the test of time very well.

Bad news: The showing was from a DVD rather than a Digital Cinema Package ('DCP') hard drive as I was expecting. My antenna was first raised at the start when the Optimum Releasing and Studio Canal logo appeared as they do on their DVDs. The sound throughout was quite reasonable but there was a continual background crackle to it which is unusual in a DCP transfer as the sound is cleaned up. I put that down to the digital transfer perhaps being done some while back when the technique was not as common as it is now.
    Worse was to come as in the climatic scenes the picture started freezing and jumping, just as it does sometimes on bad DVDs. It recovered and the film concluded. I went to the projection room afterwards and learnt that it was a indeed DVD showing and that the DVD had scratches on it causing the problem; so not only was it a DVD but a second hand one too. Not good.

The manager said that they had to show a DVD as no DCP hard drive was available. I expressed surprised as Park Circus distributors web site implies otherwise. I shall have to investigate that further.

I know many on this site are 35mm enthusiasts and don't go along with the current method of showing films digitally. I personally am fine with digital but only wish to pay money to see a show from a quality DCP hard drive, not from a DVD. I can see that at home. Had the Chichester Film Festival clearly stated that the showing was from a DVD (which they didn't) then I would not have gone. I feel as strongly about it as that.

Overall still a good afternoon out, a good movie. The Arts Centre is a converted Victorian school. The main auditorium is good, 114 seats but definitely has a Community Centre feel to it rather than that of a cinema.
    Last edited by PhilipW; 16-08-15 at 09:05 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    Many thanks for the report, Philip. It certainly sounds like the copy of the DVD they showed could have been better. I don't know where the crackle on the sound came from, but I have both the Criterion Region 1 and the Optimum Studio Canal Region 2 DVDs of the film and there is almost no crackle on the sound that you would have expected with such an old optical soundtrack, as the film was expensively restored for DVD. This all comes down to pride in appearance and showmanship...things I had drummed into me from when I first entered a projection room way back in 1961. Although I'm pleased that they managed to show the film in its correct aspect ratio, they really should have checked the DVD for scratches well in advance of the play date, so they would have had time to obtain a far better copy. I hope the freeze framing and jumping towards the end of the film didn't spoil your enjoyment of it too much. Best to obtain your own DVD of it to enjoy it properly in your own home. Yes, The Fallen Idol has a lot of the photographic techniques and style that was used the following year on The Third Man and I wonder if the slightly tilted shot of me taken by Bobby Henrey above on comment # 306 was his way of celebrating Carol Reed's famous 'Dutch Angle' used on his films, especially The Fallen Idol.

The irony of the presentation of The Fallen Idol at the Regal, Tenbury Wells, was that although the image was stretched out and distorted, the image and sound were otherwise very clear. So I guess it's a case of swings and roundabouts with these DVD presentations of old classic films in digital cinemas. In other words, if something is right, it'll be at the expense of something else being wrong with it. As far as I know, the Regal also played the film from an ordinary domestic DVD disc and not a DCP hard drive.

By the way, I checked out the Chichester cinema on Google street view and couldn't find it at first, as I was expecting a more cinema like building, but eventually found it was an old Victorian school as you stated. I can only assume that the films are shown there in what was once the main assembly hall of the building.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 17-08-15 at 07:41 AM.

Liked
    98 times
    An original 8 x 10 glossy press still of Torin Thatcher; Bobby Henrey; Dora Bryan and Ralph Norman in the police station scene.

Liked
    0 times
    My E-Mail that I have just sent off to Park Circus this morning.

I thought it best to keep the tone positive. I think I made my point strongly enough albeit in a friendly manner.

I'll post when they reply.

"I understand that Park Circus licences the public showing rights to many thousand films in the UK. I assumed that if a particular film appeared on your website then there was DCP hard drive or a 35mm print available to show. Could I enquire if FALLEN IDOL is available on DCP or 35mm from you ?

I ask because I attended a showing of that film at the Chichester Film Festival last weekend. As the showing was advertised on your website I expected the show to be either DCP or 35mm, I assumed probably the former.

When I watched it I was surprised, and somewhat disappointed, to find it was shown from a DVD (and a rather poor quality one at that). Afterwards the management told me that no DCP was available and the Film Festival had just obtained a licence from Park Circus allowing them to show the DVD.

Can this be true ? If so, I wonder then why FALLEN IDOL even appears on your website.

I am a great supporter of the digital revolution that has taken place within the film industry and am delighted that so many vintage films have been restored to pristine condition and are available as DCPs. I have high praise for Park Circus in being part of this revolution and have seen many of your restored titles often at the National Film Theatre. I wish you well in carrying on the good work. However if FALLEN IDOL has not been restored and is not available as a DCP, I have to say that its presence on your website is giving a very misleading impression.

Best Regards"
    Last edited by PhilipW; 17-08-15 at 09:37 AM.

Liked
    98 times
    An excellent email, Philip, that is telling them off in a very diplomatic way. I look forward to you letting us know if you receive a reply and if so, what they have to say about it.

Liked
    0 times
    A very speedy response from Park Circus.

"Hi Philip,

Thanks for your email. I can confirm that THE FALLEN IDOL is not currently available on DCP from Park Circus, I would need to confirm 35mm availability with our lab before advising further.

In general, however, our website doesn't present a definitive list of titles that are available on DCP or 35mm. Instead, it presents titles that exhibitors may be able to license through us, and titles that are available on DCP.

In the case of titles where DCP is available, films are marked with a "Digital cinema" icon. See the image of Casablanca on the film listing page as an example: http://www.parkcircus.com/films/21534-casablanca

35mm availability is less clear-cut than DCP availability, so there is no specific designation to mark this on our website.

There are also several films included on our website where DCP or 35mm are not available through Park Circus. As we still represent rights on these titles and a number of other format options may be available to exhibitors, these are still listed online.

I hope this clarifies your query".

Well, I suppose that is the answer I was expecting. Park Circus has got a good reputation as restoring vintage films and making then available again for cinema distribution. It is a pity then that they include titles on their website not in that category but for which they just have licensing rights. Confusing, misleading, I think so. Anyway I won't fall for that again.

Liked
    98 times
    A very fast response, Philip. I hope that the Chichester cinema refunded you in some way for ruining the presentation of the film by playing a scratched DVD of it. It seems like it would have been a good presentation otherwise.

Liked
    0 times
    No refund, then I never asked for one.

My main grievance against Chichester is that their programme was not at all clear as to which format the film was going to be shown in. I intend to write to them, again diplomatically, expressing that. Keen film fans who attend Film Festivals like to know things like this. We can then make our own judgement.

There is an interesting parallel with how the National Film Theatre list films in their monthly programme. All films were assumed to be shown in 35mm unless stated otherwise. So originally just a few were marked 'Digital'. As time passed by more and more were shown in digital until in some months those could even have been in the majority. Reflecting this shift, last year the policy switched and the programme assumed that all films were in digital unless marked as 'Film'.

It would appear that this policy did not go down well with their customers as shortly afterwards the policy changed again, this time to a more neutral stance. Now each film is marked as being 'Film' or 'Digital'. A sound policy I think, there is no confusion, each showing is clearly marked as to how the film is being shown.
    Last edited by PhilipW; 17-08-15 at 11:47 AM.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    We have now watched the DVD. Very impressive – it’s odd that it isn’t shown on television more often.It’s great to have the background and extra material from this thread, and the autobiography sounds fascinating.
    Sonia Dresdel looked a lot younger than I remembered, but I first saw the film several decades ago.

Liked
    98 times
    Glad you like it, Zither. I suppose that if a film isn't shown on television, younger generations aren't aware of it the same as oldies like me. It's incredible to see how young everyone was in the film, but 1947 is a hell of a long time ago and it's interesting to note that when the cameras began to roll on the film in September, 1947, I was a five months old baby boy lay in my cot in Stockport.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Glad you like it, Zither. I suppose that if a film isn't shown on television, younger generations aren't aware of it the same as oldies like me. It's incredible to see how young everyone was in the film, but 1947 is a hell of a long time ago and it's interesting to note that when the cameras began to roll on the film in September, 1947, I was a five months old baby boy lay in my cot in Stockport.
    It is quite a strange thought!

Sonia Dresdel's fall is the image that remained with me from seeing the film many years ago. I must read the original story, which seems to be available online, but I can't read long pieces on a screen, so need to track down a paper copy.

Liked
    98 times
    There seem to be quite a few paperback copies on eBay of The Fallen Idol and The Third Man in one book, but whether The Fallen Idol is from the screenplay or the original short story The Basement Room, which was somewhat different to the film version, I don't know.

Liked
    98 times
    This is a scan of a real, glossy press photo to replace the scan of the same photo in The New York Times Magazine on page 13, comment # 254
    of this thread which was printed on rather poor quality newsprint. I'm sure you'll agree that the image here is much clearer than the previous one.

Liked
    98 times
    This original glossy press still shows, a few minutes into the film, the first scene between Phillipe (Bobby Henrey) and Mrs Baines (Sonia Dresdel). Their characters' hatred of each other in the film came across as only too real. But it was just good acting, for in reality, Bobby and Sonia thought the world of each other and Bobby still has very fond memories of her to this day, an incredible 68 years later.

Last edited by darrenburnfan; 19-08-15 at 06:04 PM.

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast