Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    and really you know DBF, these glossy black and whites beat the CGI colour 'wizardry' nowadays hands down

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I agree, Rick. The stills photographers had really good cameras and they know how to use them, although these days, a lot of people won't watch anything unless it's in colour. But in those days, stills photography was an art and people like Ted Reed were very good at their craft. Incidentally, I just noticed he isn't credited on the IMDb for this film, so I just sent in a submission for his work on this film to be included. There is practically no info about him on the IMDb, except for a list of films he worked on (which is probably incomplete) and I wonder if he was, or maybe still is, any relation to Carol Reed.

Liked
    98 times
    This original glossy press still is unusual, in that it shows a scene that was not included in the completed film. Here, Baines and Phillipe walk through the embassy foyer on returning from their meeting with Julie in the tea shop. In the release version of the film, we see Baines and Phillipe walking towards the embassy entrance and then the scene dissolves into a shot of Phillipe putting his pet MacGregor to bed in the cubby hole behind the brick in the wall outside the V.I.P. room, thus leaving out the scene below. I will post more photos from the film if and when I'm able to obtain them.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    There seem to be quite a few paperback copies on eBay of The Fallen Idol and The Third Man in one book, but whether The Fallen Idol is from the screenplay or the original short story The Basement Room, which was somewhat different to the film version, I don't know.
    Thank you, I will look there. It's the differences that interest me, in a way.

Liked
    98 times
    An original 8 x 10 glossy press photo showing Bobby Henrey; Michele Morgan and Sir Ralph Richardson
    on location in The Lion House at London Zoo in Regent's Park 68 years ago in September, 1947.

Liked
    98 times
    Just arrived in my collection, this original vintage 8 x 10 portrait by Ted Reed from 1947 of Sonia Dresdel as she appeared in the film.
    The still has the original shooting title, The Lost Illusion, printed on the reverse.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    That is interesting - The original title was The Lost Illusion - I did not know that.

It would have worked, I think. But The Fallen Idol is more vivid and memorable.

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, Tim, oddly enough, it was going to be released under that title and in early July, 1948, it was submitted to the British Board of Film Censors under that title and passed with an 'A' for adult audiences certificate. But strangely, it was submitted again to the BBFC later in the month under a new title, The Fallen Idol, and passed again as an 'A' certificate. The reasons for this are now lost in the mists of time, but I agree that the title they finally decided on was the right one.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    It's a far stronger title.

We recommended it to an American friend who hadn't seen it, and he thought it excellent.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Tootling about on my poster databases recently came up with this

http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.co....asp?pid=25545

http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.co....asp?pid=25549

Evidently the second was the first design (are there others?) since the second has the newspaper headings after the release/ press shows, and also since the newspaper design also has the additional British Lion distributor name and logo.

Was the actual release of the film sponsored by the more well-known company in case the original finances went pear-shaped?

Liked
    98 times
    I didn't know the one with the newspaper cuttings on it was a poster. I thought it may have been a page out of Kinematrograph Weekly at the time. The poster below is the original quad design. Another design was issued not long after the film's initial release, when it became clear that Bobby Henrey had become enormously popular and the second quad reflected that fact. It can be seen on the wall of Bobby Henrey's home on page 9 of this thread, post 175. British Lion was then the distribution arm for Sir Alexander Korda's London Films.

Senior Member Country: Australia IlllIIllllIIii's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    ^ I'm surprised that Sir Ralph gets second billing in that poster.

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, I know what you mean. It's kind of like Charlton Heston getting second billing in Ben Hur.

Liked
    98 times
    Publicity photos by Ted Reed from 1947. Bobby Henrey with MacGregor and Carol Reed trying to work out a problem on the set.

Liked
    98 times
    Studio Canal will release The Fallen Idol on BluRay on November 16th, 2015. However, the restored version on the DVD is so clear that I don't see how a BluRay transfer could improve on it, especially with the film being 68 years old.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fallen-Idol-...he+fallen+idol

Last edited by darrenburnfan; 23-09-15 at 12:20 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    Arrived in my collection this week from an eBay seller in France is this unusual, vintage (and in excellent condition) 36 page French magazine containing the story of The Fallen Idol in photos taken directly from the film, with all the dialogue captions in French. Slightly abridged story wise, the trip to the Zoo and the death of MacGregor are missing from the adaptation, although the rest of the film is there. This unusual format was revived in the UK in 1960 with a short lived series of TV Photo Stories. Your Favourite TV characters in photos that live, which featured adaptions of ITV film series such as episodes of The Buccaneers; William Tell; O.S.S. and Dial 999, which I still have in my collection over 55 years later.

Liked
    98 times
    A vintage 8 x 10 press photo of Michele Morgan and Sir Ralph Richardson, photographed by Ted Reed at Shepperton Studios in 1947.

Liked
    98 times
    To be re-released on BluRay; DVD and EST (whatever that is) on November 16th. Supposedly a restoration, but Studio Canal has already released a restored version ten years ago. Anyway, I'll be getting this (although I already have the DVD) because there are six Special Features on it, including a locations featurette and Kevin Brownlow interviewing Robert (Bobby) Henrey. No sign of the original trailer, though. Odd that The Third Man trailer is available on DVD but not the trailer for The Fallen Idol. It would have been interesting to see how the film was pitched to cinema audiences in 1948.

http://www.cineoutsider.com/news/sto...10/151011.html
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 02-11-15 at 10:12 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    This is an 8 x 10 candid photo of Michele Morgan taken while she was in England in the late summer of 1947 to make The Fallen Idol. I've no idea of the location of the building behind her. It could be somewhere in Regent's Park, or it could be the other side of Windsor Castle, the side that doesn't face the river. Perhaps one of my fellow members can pinpoint it.

Last edited by darrenburnfan; 06-11-15 at 04:57 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    Carol Reed on the set at Shepperton in late 1947 and Bobby Henrey on the cover of the French film magazine L'Ecran, dated June 20th, 1949.

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast