Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    This is an 8 x 10 candid photo of Michele Morgan taken while she was in England in the late summer of 1947 to make The Fallen Idol. I've no idea of the location of the building behind her. It could be somewhere in Regent's Park, or it could be the other side of Windsor Castle, the side that doesn't face the river. Perhaps one of my fellow members can pinpoint it.

Yes, it's the North side of Windsor Castle, I go there once every three years for a mini-break and to visit Frogmore........

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Thanks, Mark. I thought it may have been, but I couldn't find a photo on Google to match it. Your photo, however, is just right. I'll write the location on the back of the photo now. I reckon she must have been doing a bit of sightseeing while she was over here, as Windsor Castle is quite a way from Belgravia and Regent's Park.

Liked
    202 times
    Thanks, Mark. I thought it may have been, but I couldn't find a photo on Google to match it. Your photo, however, is just right. I'll write the location on the back of the photo now. I reckon she must have been doing a bit of sightseeing while she was over here, as Windsor Castle is quite a way from Belgravia and Regent's Park.

It's a pleasure David.......

Windsor is one of the few places in the home counties the once comprehensive network of Green line Coaches still serves, though I think Michele would have probably journeyed there by car on a day off from filming, but who knows, I usually stay at the Travelodge in nearby Langley when I visit, a bargain at under �30 per night, then catch the Bus into Windsor.

Liked
    98 times
    You might see the Queen walking about there one of these days, Mark. If the royal flag is flying from the mast, it means she's in residence...or at least that one of the royal family is.

Liked
    98 times
    An original 8 x 10 glossy press still showing Bobby Henrey and Sir Ralph Richardson in the kitchen area of the basement room.

Liked
    98 times
    I received the newly restored BFI / Studio Canal DVD version this morning and I'm very pleased with it. It definitely has been restored compared to the 2006 release, which was advertised as a restored version. On this new version, the very fine vertical scratch that could be seen in some parts of the previous Criterion and Optimum Releasing DVDs, especially in the London Zoo scenes, has been meticulously removed without a trace, while the few missing frames that were evident in the previous release, where Mrs Baines sees Phillipe on that narrow ledge above the entrance have been reinstated. Three of the four interviews, with Robert Henrey and a couple of directors, are 16 x 9 enhanced and were obviously done very recently in a cinema or theatre somewhere, going by the seats they are sat in. Also Robert gives his age as 76, and he was 76 this past June. The interview with Guy Hamilton is an extended version taken from the Carol Reed documentary that was on the 2006 Criterion Region 1 DVD. There are also a then and now locations featurette, which is 16 x 9 enhanced, and a short restorations comparison and a twenty page glossy booklet included with information on the film, with many stills. Highly Recommended either for those who want to upgrade their previous DVD, or for those who haven't seen the film.

Liked
    98 times
    Frames from Robert Henrey's interview and the locations featurette.

Liked
    98 times

Not included on the then and now locations featurette on the new DVD, I have been comparing frames from the film with modern views on Google Street View of scenes shot in September, 1947, as all the location work was done first, and, as far as I can tell, the scene where Bobby is leaning precariously over that narrow ledge as he sees Baines leaving the embassy for his meeting with Julie, appears to have been filmed on the roof of the building, overlooking Grosvenor Crescent far below. In fact, number 49, Belgrave Square, which was then and still is, the Argentine Embassy, can clearly be seen in the shot, looking rather war ravaged. This was filmed from a most dangerous and precarious position and every time I watch it, I fear for Bobby as he leans over that parapet, as if he had lost his balance, he would have been killed for sure, it being a good seventy feet to the ground. How they got the camera crew up there is anybody’s guess, but this must have been the basis for a legendary exchange between Cinematographer Georges Perinal and Producer / Director Carol Reed, in which Perinal exclaimed: “No! No! No! You can’t do that shot, it’s impossible!” to which Reed replied: “Yes, yes, yes, impossible! Now, are you ready, Georges?”

The scene where Bobby is coming down the fire escape appears to be at the rear of 1, Grosvenor Crescent (playing the French embassy), situated down an alleyway off Wilton Crescent. But if it is, there is no fire escape attached to the building now.

Liked
    98 times
    I've tracked down the location of the ledge now. It's below the tall chimney stack on the right, with a window behind it that must have gone down to the floor of the ledge, otherwise, they wouldn't have been able to get out on it. Compare it with picture number one on post 348. It's incredible to think that they must have mounted the camera on the ledge itself to get the shot and it looks like there is less than two feet of space between the ledge and the wall behind Bobby. What a chance they took and what an achievement it was! Apparently, the people who run the building now wouldn't let Richard Dacre, who made the locations featurette for the DVD, go up to that balcony, as it was too dangerous up there.

Last edited by darrenburnfan; 11-11-15 at 08:10 PM.

Junior Member Country: United States David Zellaby's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for posting these, darrenburnfan. This before-and-now sort of thing is right up my street. I love making comparisons; looking at each little thing in the photos to match them up.

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, it's amazing how Belgravia suffered very little from the wartime bombing compared to the rest of London, and, despite a lot of renovation that has occurred in the past seventy years, it still looks basically the same and a visitor who last saw the area in 1947 would still be able to get his bearings in the area today and recognise where he was.

Liked
    98 times
    The former shop in Kinnerton Street, Belgravia, which became the tea shop in the film, was supposed to be situated lower down Belgrave Mews West as far as the film was concerned. It is now a Pakistani restaurant and all the cobblestones seen in the film have long since been replaced with tarmac.

Last edited by darrenburnfan; 12-11-15 at 10:49 AM.

Junior Member Country: United States David Zellaby's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    As you'd probably guess, I would have preferred the cobbles over tarmac. I would also rather it were still a tea shop. I wonder if people going through the area ever think of the film, or even know that it was filmed there? I would think that the former tea shop would have framed stills of the film on the walls. I watched Fallen Idol yet again last night, so the locations are still fresh in my mind. I hope to get there next year to take the tour myself.
    Last edited by David Zellaby; 12-11-15 at 02:33 PM. Reason: opbsessed about spelling errors

Liked
    98 times
    I would love to go in The Star Tavern pub in Belgrave Mews West and ask the landlord (or whoever is serving behind the bar) "Isn't Mr Baines here?" I hope they've got at least one still from the film on their walls...a scene showing The Star Tavern, of course.

Liked
    202 times
    You might see the Queen walking about there one of these days, Mark. If the royal flag is flying from the mast, it means she's in residence...or at least that one of the royal family is.

Lol David, don't I wish !

Funnily enough i was in Windsor, at the castle entrance one friday afternoon a couple of years ago, and there was this claret coloured helicopter hovering above the Castle, I assumed it had just dropped off the Queen and Prince Philip for the weekend, I asked one of the flunkies hanging around, and he said 'yes, her majesty has arrived', I thought the Queen didn't like helicopters, but needs must I guess, the only Royal I've actually seen is Princess Anne sitting in the rear of a Bentley in London once, the Police outriders stopped all the traffic, so she could whizz past to her engagement.

Liked
    98 times
    I saw the Queen once, Mark, back in 1999, when she came to Stoke on Trent to open the new Regent theatre in Hanley, which used to be the old Gaumont cinema (well, it saved it from being demolished). I was standing only a few yards from her. Latest famous celebrity to tread the boards at the Regent has been Tommy Steele in a musical about Glenn Miller and back in 2003, Adam Faith was appearing on stage there, but had a heart attack after the performance and was rushed to the hospital, where he unfortunately passed away.

Liked
    202 times
    I saw the Queen once, Mark, back in 1999, when she came to Stoke on Trent to open the new Regent theatre in Hanley, which used to be the old Gaumont cinema (well, it saved it from being demolished). I was standing only a few yards from her. Latest famous celebrity to tread the boards at the Regent has been Tommy Steele in a musical about Glenn Miller and back in 2003, Adam Faith was appearing on stage there, but had a heart attack after the performance and was rushed to the hospital, where he unfortunately passed away.

That's great you've seen the Queen David, I don't know if I ever will, but who knows, a couple of people I know went to see the River Thames flotilla in Jubilee year, but standing in the wind and rain for hours isn't really my cuppa, I see everything Royal on the TV.

I remember Adam Faith's sudden death in the news after a concert, things went down hill for him when he was made bankrupt, a bit ironic considering he had a newspaper column as a financial adviser, plus I read he was fond of his fish and chips, fried from the chip shop, poor Adam, funnily enough I was in Brighton earlier this week, and there's a Bus named after him, not sure what his connection with Brighton was, but I'll look it up. ( I also saw the Bus named after Gracie Fields, again unsure of the connection)

Liked
    98 times
    The day before Adam Faith's death, I had just won a complete Front-of-House set for Mix Me a Person on eBay and the next day, the seller, who lived in Leigh-on-Sea in Essex, went to his local Post Office and shop to post the package with the stills in it to me. As he walked through the door, the news was on the radio and the first thing he heard on it was that Adam Faith had died in Stoke on Trent. There must be a name for a coincidence like that.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    There must be a name for a coincidence like that.
    There is, it's called a coincidence

When you think of someone who you haven't seen or heard from for ages and then they ring you - it isn't spooky or mysterious. It's just a coincidence. Remember all of the times when you think of someone and they don't ring you

Steve

Liked
    98 times
    I've just emailed the BFI with the following query. It's unlikely they'll answer me, but if they do, I'll post their answer.

Dear BFI,
    Although I'm very pleased about your newly restored BFI / Studio Canal DVD
    and BluRay November 16th release of The Fallen Idol (1948), with its six
    Special Features items, I'm a bit disappointed that you haven't seen fit to
    include the original theatrical trailer for this classic British film, as it
    would have been very interesting to see how the film was pitched to cinema
    audiences in 1948. It seems strange that the trailer for The Third Man is
    available on DVD, but not the one for The Fallen Idol. Do you have access to
    the trailer, or isn't it available? I would be grateful for any news about
    the trailer. I have contacted Studio Canal twice about this matter, but they
    haven't seen fit to reply.

Yours Sincerely,
    David Rayner.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast