Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    Darrenburnfan, thank you for another very interesting post (which i enjoyed reading), i have just ordered a copy of Bobby Henrey's Autobiography, i did enjoy watching The Fallen Idol on DVD earlier this year, Michele Morgan (who played Julie in The Fallen Idol) is still with us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mich%C3%A8le_Morgan

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Your welcome, Billy. I started reading the book yesterday and I am up to chapter 7 now. He has certainly inherited his parents gift for writing, as his style is just as engrossing and entertaining. In fact, his book is an excellent read. Yes, out of the entire cast and crew of The Fallen Idol, only four are still with us. Bobby (aged 74); Michele Morgan; Dora Bryan and Guy Hamilton and they're all in their 90s now. A happy memory from the Regal last Friday night. When the film's opening titles came on the screen with the star's names, everybody clapped and cheered when the credit "and BOBBY HENREY" came on the screen. I could see Bobby smiling at that.

Liked
    98 times
    One of the best British film ever made and a rare example of all the right ingredients coming together at the right time to make a classic. Bobby Henrey is wonderful in it, as are the rest of the cast. It was made between September, 1947 and May, 1948, under the title "The Lost Illusion" and submitted to the BBFC under that title in early July, 1948 and passed with an "A" certificate. However, by late July, for some reason, the title had been changed to "The Fallen Idol" and it was re-submitted to the BBFC. The entire film has now been uploaded on YouTube at the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGe5yVPyQH0
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 10-09-13 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Typo

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Slightly surprised nobody has mentioned this

Liked
    98 times
    I forgot to mention it, Captain. I was told last Saturday that he would a guest on Midweek this morning. I recorded the programme in the only way I could, that is, by putting the microphone of my audio cassette tape recorder (yes, I still have such an ancient technology) in front of the loudspeaker of my digital radio. It was a very interesting interview with Robert (Bobby). He flies back to the States tomorrow and he will be featured in this coming Saturday's Daily Telegraph magazine. I have ordered a copy from the newsagent.

Liked
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    Slightly surprised nobody has mentioned this
    I just listened to Bobby Henrey on the above programme, very interesting, his Autobiography is now on it's way to me.

Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy farmer View Post
    I just listened to Bobby Henrey on the above programme, very interesting, his Autobiography is now on it's way to me.
    Ahhh, you must have listened to the late evening repeat broadcast, Billy, which is always edited and cut by 15 minutes. I didn't listen to the evening repeat, but I'm quite sure the interview with Robert would have been longer in the 9 a.m. broadcast, which ran for 45 minutes,

Liked
    98 times
    On the set of "The Fallen Idol" at Shepperton Studios in 1947, Bobby Henrey looks on as Sir Ralph Richardson autographs a publicity photo of himself. One of many photos in the newly published autobiography "Through Grown-Up Eyes: Living With Childhood Fame", by Robert Henrey.

Liked
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Ahhh, you must have listened to the late evening repeat broadcast, Billy, which is always edited and cut by 15 minutes. I didn't listen to the evening repeat, but I'm quite sure the interview with Robert would have been longer in the 9 a.m. broadcast, which ran for 45 minutes,
    Darrenburnfan, i listened to the programme on BBC iPlayer, in fact, the only part of the programme i listened to was when Bobby Henrey was being interviewed, he appeared on the programme for about ten minutes, i received Bobby's Autobiography today.

Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy farmer View Post
    Darrenburnfan, i listened to the programme on BBC iPlayer, in fact, the only part of the programme i listened to was when Bobby Henrey was being interviewed, he appeared on the programme for about ten minutes, i received Bobby's Autobiography today.
    Yes, the one on iplayer would have been the full programme. I'm glad to hear the book arrived. I'm three quarters of the way through it now and try to read a couple of chapters per day. Robert has traveled all over the world since he made the film, so he could tell Baines he'd been to Africa and really mean it.

Liked
    308 times
    Robert Henrey: 'I was the child in The Fallen Idol' - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...llen-Idol.html

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, I had seen that yesterday, Billy. It's an extract from a feature in tomorrow (Saturday's) Daily Telegraph magazine. I've never bought the Daily Telegraph in my life, but I have ordered one from my newsagent that I shall be going for tomorrow morning. I have just finished reading the book and it has taken me six days to read it all and I found it so interesting that I could hardly put it down. I highly recommmend it.

Liked
    98 times
    An original 8 x 10 press photo showing Ralph Richardson; Michele Morgan; Carol Reed and Bobby Henrey at Shepperton Studios in September, 1947, on their way to see the "rushes" of the previous day's filming.

Liked
    98 times
    Carol Reed instructs, while Bobby Henrey listens attentively and continuity girl Peggie McClafferty watches Bobby on the set at Shepperton Studios in 1947.

Last edited by darrenburnfan; 19-09-13 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Extra info

Liked
    308 times
    Darrenburnfan, some great photographs on this page, i wonder if Bobby Henrey has looked at this very interesting Thread.

Liked
    98 times
    Thanks, Billy. I received the above 8 x 10 still only today. I hope Bobby has been told about this thread by Jerry Johns. I know Jerry knows about it because he joined recently under the name Polperro Press. I heard from Jerry today and he says that the book is selling very well. In fact, amazon uk have just run out of stock of it and have had to order some more copies. Strange phenomena going on. I rejoined Photobucket in order to upload some stills onto another site and some of them...not all...which disappeared on this thread when I deleted my Photobucket account nearly two years ago have mysteriously reappeared on here. Why some have reappeared and not others is a mystery.

Liked
    308 times
    Darrenburnfan, i am glad that Bobby's Autobiography is selling well, and i am also very glad to see that a lot of your images have reappeared on this Thread.

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, very odd, isn't it? I can only assume that even if you delete your Photobucket account, your IP address and the identity of the photos you previously uploaded is still stored on there in some form and if you open a new account while retaining the same email address, it begins re-uploading some of the images that you previously deleted. I have been informed that another interview with Robert will take place at 8:15 pm on Friday, September 27th, on BBC Radio 5 Live.

Liked
    98 times
    1947 studio publicity portraits of The Fallen Idol stars Sir Ralph Richardson; Michele Morgan; Sonia Dresdel and Bobby Henrey.

Liked
    98 times
    BELOW: Two more digital photos (just arrived by email from America) of Robert (Bobby) Henrey and I together outside the Regal cinema,
    Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire, on the evening of Friday, September 6th, 2013, taken by his wife, Lisette.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast