Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    According to an earlier draft of the screenplay published in Picture Show magazine at the time by mistake, originally it was supposed to be the Spanish embassy and this accounts for various cast lists and synopses seen even today referring to Bobby Henrey's character as either Felipe or Phillipe. By our modern standards, Baines and Julie do seem an odd couple to be having an affair, but audiences of 65 years ago would probably have thought they were just right for each other. At any event, Sir Alexander Korda wanted Michele Morgan to play Julie, even to the extent of flying all the way over to Los Angeles to recruit her for the part.

Senior Member Country: Australia lllIIlllIIlllIIl's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    ^
    Thank you. I think it's fascinating to hear how the authors coped trying to tell a convincing story in concert with the producer trying to hire actors with international box-office appeal.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    Church Times, January 28th 1949 - A Star in Normandy.

Liked
    98 times
    A fabulous and interesting find, Billy. Thanks for uploading it.

Liked
    98 times
    BELOW: A truly historic meeting. The legendary Bobby Henrey (left), aged 74, and myself (right), aged 66, meet and shake hands for the first time outside the Regal cinema, Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire, on the evening of Friday, September 6th, 2013. "I am deeply honoured!", I tell him, proudly. "I think the honour is mine!", he replies, just as proudly. It's an odd thought, but here I am shaking the hand that, 66 years earlier, once held MacGregor!

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    BELOW: A truly historic meeting. The legendary Bobby Henrey (left), aged 74, and myself (right), aged 66, meet and shake hands for the first time outside the Regal cinema, Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire, on the evening of Friday, September 6th, 2013. "I am deeply honoured!", I tell him, proudly. "I think the honour is mine!", he replies, just as proudly. It's an odd thought, but here I am shaking the hand that, 66 years earlier, once held MacGregor!
    Wonderful photo

Liked
    98 times
    Thanks, Tim. Yes, it is a wonderful photo of a once in a lifetime event in my life.

Liked
    98 times
    BELOW: Two vintage Picturegoer Post Cards, numbers W. 508 and W. 509 of Ralph Richardson and Bobby Henrey respectively, issued to promote the film at the time of its release. There was also a Picturegoer Post Card of Michele Morgan as she appeared in the film issued at the same time, but I haven't got that one yet.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Thanks, Tim. Yes, it is a wonderful photo of a once in a lifetime event in my life.

How did it come about? Was it a special showing of the film? Does he live in Britain?

Liked
    98 times
    Bobby lives in Greenwich, Connecticut, and the meeting came about because early this year (2013), I was contacted by Jerry Johns, the publisher of Bobby's forthcoming autobiography at the Polperro Heritage Press in Worcester, who had seen my extensive collection of stills and information about Bobby and his films on my then flickr photostream, which I have since deleted, and asked if they could use some of the information and photos in the book. I said yes, of course, and Jerry told me that Bobby (or Robert as he is now) was a great fan of my photostream and that he would love to meet me when he came over in September to launch the book at the Regal cinema in Tenbury Wells. I was to be one of the invited guests at the launching, which would also include a digital presentation of The Fallen Idol. I accepted the invitation, although I knew that travelling all that distance would most probably make me ill, which it did, especially on the return journey. On the evening, there were at least 200 other invited guests who had come from all over the place, but because I had been asked by Jerry to turn up early, before all the others arrived, so that Bobby could have a chat with me, I was able to meet and talk to him at length about his childhood stardom and many other things. It was an amazing, once in a lifetime experience and he made just as much fuss of me as I did of him and the photos testify to this. Below is a scan of the invitation card I received.

Liked
    98 times
    Bobby Henrey, by then aged 9, presents a bouquet of orchids he has put together himself, to Queen Elizabeth (later to be the Queen Mother)
    at the Royal Command Film Performance of Scott of the Antarctic at the Empire cinema, Leicester Square, London, on the evening of Monday, November 29th, 1948. Scanned from an old magazine. One day, I hope to find the original 8 x 10 press still of this photo.

Liked
    98 times
    An original 8 x 10 press still of Jack Hawkins and Sir Ralph Richardson in The Fallen Idol.

Liked
    98 times
    Just arrived in my collection, this original and very rare, almost 66 years old British Front-of-House still from
    The Fallen Idol with Michele Morgan; Bobby Henrey and Sir Ralph Richardson. It was photographed on the Mappin Terraces at London Zoo in Regent's Park.

PHILLIPE: "Here’s your ice cream."

JULIE: "Thank you, Phillipe."

BAINES: "I’ve been telling Julie she must come and have supper with us."

PHILLIPE: "But you asked her on the telephone and she said that she would."

BAINES: "The things you know."

JULIE: "It would only make things worse afterwards."

BAINES: "She doesn’t trust my cooking, Phil."

PHILLIPE: "Oh, can’t we see the snakes, Baines?"

BAINES: "Of course we’re going to see the snakes."

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    Very cool collection of material you have on "The Fallen Idol" Darrenburnfan, have you any film promos including Torin Thatcher you can share? Thank you much in advance if you do.

Think I'll watch this movie tonight. It is his birthday. :)

Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by torinfan View Post
    Very cool collection of material you have on "The Fallen Idol" Darrenburnfan, have you any film promos including Torin Thatcher you can share? Thank you much in advance if you do.

Think I'll watch this movie tonight. It is his birthday. :)
    Sorry, torinfan, no stills as yet in my collection from The Fallen Idol with Torin on. But I have 55 stills from the film now and there must have been a hundred released at the time to promote the film, so my collecting of them has some way to go yet and I never know what will turn up next. What you need is a portrait still of him in his uniform. As well as scene stills, each actor or actress in the film would have had a portrait still taken of them in the costume they appeared in during the film. Portrait stills of the four main stars, Ralph; Michele; Sonia and Bobby have been easier to find than those of the other actors, but they must exist somewhere and it's just finding them. Yes, it was Torin's birthday on the 15th. If he was still with us, he'd be an incredible 109.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    This film is on Freeview this weekend - True Entertainment channel......

Liked
    98 times
    That's good news, Julian. It hasn't been on television since Channel 4 ran it over thirty years ago.

UPDATE: I've just Googled it. If anyone wants to see it, it's on Channel 61 Freeview at 9 pm on Saturday, January 18th.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 16-01-14 at 02:23 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    I've just watched it on channel 61 and, apart from the three very long (six minutes each) commercial breaks and the continuity announcer talking over the end cast, at least they showed it in the correct 4 x 3 aspect ratio, which is more than the Regal, Tenbury Wells, managed to do.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    I enjoyed it last night also. As you say the correct format...excellent. Once again, thanks for sharing all of this.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    If you missed it, they are screening this classic film again this week......

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast