Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    I sometimes wonder where the film studios acquired these unusual props. Did they make them in the studio workshops along with the scenery and sets or did they scour the antique shops for them?
    Probably a bit of both

The workshops were very skilled, especially the plasterers. They could make just about anything in plaster, it was quite light (often hollow) and with a bit of paint skillfully applied could be made to look like it was really made of metal, wood or whatever was required. Especially if it was just to be decorative and not "practical". It didn't have to take the weight of someone sitting or standing on it.

They would also sometimes use the same object in different films and yes, they would also buy some objects in.

Steve

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Thanks, Steve. Come to think of it, that statue (or whatever it is) bears a resemblance to one used in The Thief of Baghdad (1940), some of which was filmed in England at Alexander Korda's London Film Studios, which at that time, I believe, were in Denham rather than Shepperton.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Thanks, Steve. Come to think of it, that statue (or whatever it is) bears a resemblance to one used in The Thief of Baghdad (1940), some of which was filmed in England at Alexander Korda's London Film Studios, which at that time, I believe, were in Denham rather than Shepperton.
    There is a resemblance. But the statue in The Thief of Bagdad was multi-armed and was (mainly) Mary Morris painted silver

Steve

Liked
    98 times
    Ah, yes, similar but very different, the only connection being their Eastern appearance.

Liked
    98 times
    An original 8 x 10 glossy press still showing Doctor Fenton (Walter Fitzgerald) examining Phillipe (Bobby Henrey) after the police have brought him back to the embassy following him being found running through the streets at night in some distress and wearing only his pajamas. This still is so old that it has The Lost Illusion stamped on the back, so it must have been printed before July, 1948, when the title was changed to The Fallen Idol prior to its premiere that September.

Liked
    98 times
    An original 8 x 10 press still. Phillipe (Bobby Henrey) is tricked by Mrs Baines (Sonia Dresdel) into revealing Mr Baines secret about his affair with
    another woman that he has entrusted to the boy in this scene from Carol Reed’s The Fallen Idol (London Films – British Lion, 1948).

The Above Scene:

MRS BAINES: "We have a secret now, you and I, because I know all about them. Can you keep a secret?"

PHILLIPE (reluctantly): "Yes".

MRS BAINES: "Good. I suppose she was having tea with him".

PHILLIPE: "Just tea, no cakes".

MRS BAINES: "Is she young?"

PHILLIPE: "Of course, she’s his niece".

MRS BAINES: "So that’s what he said, the old scoundrel".

PHILLIPE: "It’s alright, she’s not seeing him anymore, after tomorrow she’s going away".

MRS BAINES: "Is she? Tomorrow. You can keep our secret now, hmmm, yes?"

PHILLIPE (reluctantly): "Yes".

MRS BAINES: "You do and I’ll get you that two-way Meccano set".
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 06-03-14 at 05:17 PM.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I sometimes wonder where the film studios acquired these unusual props. Did they make them in the studio workshops along with the scenery and sets or did they scour the antique shops for them?
    Sorry to go a bit off-topic, darrenburn fan, but here's a prop that appears in many films and television programmes over the decades:

It's the devilish statue on the left, not Hermione Baddeley or Glynis Johns!! This is from Dear Mr. Prohack (1949) which was made at Pinewood, but it, or similar, appears in many productions.

Liked
    98 times
    Hmmm, funny you should mention Dear Mr. Prohack, Gerald, but yesterday, I received a Picture Show magazine from October, 1949, with the film featured on the centre pages. I'm thinking of scanning it and uploading it onto the Dirk Bogarde thread. No doubt they must have used the same props in many films in those days. I suppose it saved them having to make new props for every film.

Liked
    98 times
    Carol Reed directs Bobby Henrey before a take on a scene in The Fallen Idol at Shepperton Studios in 1947.

Liked
    98 times
    A superb depiction of the powerlessness of being a child. Phillipe (Bobby Henrey) tries desperately to get the police to listen to his vital information as they continue to completely ignore him. An original 8 x 10 press still of a memorable scene from The Fallen Idol (1948).

Liked
    98 times
    BELOW: Michele Morgan relaxing between takes while on location in Belgrave Square, London, in September, 1947.

Liked
    98 times

"If my mother comes back on Monday, it won’t make any difference to us, will it?" "Of course not", Baines reassured the boy.
    Bobby Henrey and Sir Ralph Richardson in The Fallen Idol.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 23-04-14 at 02:04 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    One of the best reviews of the film I've ever read can be seen by clicking on the link below:

http://nitratediva.wordpress.com/tag/child-actor/

Liked
    98 times
    Below are two different Pathe newsreel clips of The Royal Film Performance of 1948 at the Empire, Leicester Square in Monday, November 29th, 1948, showing two different views from two angles of Bobby Henrey being presented to the Queen. These clips can be enlarged to full screen with greater definition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX5uOKdDYOg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUJJRVTbCtU

Liked
    98 times
    BANNISTERS AND STAIRS 1947 AND 2014.

Here are two images photographed 67 years apart. Bobby Henrey, aged 8 years, on the stairs of the Shepperton Studios set of The Fallen Idol on 1947 and as he is today, in 2014, on the stairs of his home in Greenwich, Connecticut, with an original British 30 by 40 inches quad poster of his film on the wall behind him. He will be 75 years of age next month.

Liked
    98 times
    Just arrived in my collection, a vintage 8 x 10 publicity photo of Carol Reed and his camera crew lining up a shot on the set of The Fallen Idol at Shepperton Studios in 1947.

Liked
    98 times
    To complete the set of three Picturegoer Post Cards from The Fallen Idol (the first two, 508 and 509, can be seen on post # 128 on page 7),
    here at last is the third one, # 510, Michele Morgan, which has just arrived in my collection today.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    [CENTER]To complete the set of three Picturegoer Post Cards from The Fallen Idol (the first two, 508 and 509, can be seen on post # 128 on page 7),
    here at last is the third one, # 510, Michele Morgan, which has just arrived in my collection today.
    Darrenburnfan, a very good Picturegoer Postcard, amazing to think that Michele Morgan, is still with us, now aged 94 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mich%C3%A8le_Morgan

I also like the two images of Bobby Henrey (in post 175), 67 years apart, he looks very cheerful in both images.

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, great photos, Billy. Robert (Bobby) is very spritely for his age and full of life and energy and is able to travel anywhere, although I don't think he could run across Belgrave Square these days at the same speed as he did when he was eight. However, they would certainly allow him into The Star Tavern nowadays without asking to see his birth certificate. Meanwhile, although eight years younger than him, it's as much as I can do to walk to the local paper shop and back. It's a great pity we've got to grow old. I think we should all reach the age of 18 and never look any older. Michele Morgan has done very well indeed to reach the age of 94. She's certainly outlived Sir Ralph Richardson. I wonder if she knows that Bobby is still around. Interesting to see that Bobby Henrey's name on the poster is at least three times bigger than Jack Hawkins name.

Liked
    98 times
    This very rare vintage 8 x 10 glossy publicity photo arrived in my collection today. It shows 9-year-old child stars Bobby Henrey, star of Carol Reed's The Fallen Idol and John Howard Davies, star of David Lean's Oliver Twist, examining what looks like a toy cap pistol during rehearsals on Sunday, November 28th, 1948 at the Empire, Leicester Square, for the following evening's Royal Command Film Performance of Scott of the Antarctic, before the screening of which Bobby would present a bouquet of orchids to the Queen. Here, he had just returned from Paris, where he had been dubbing his role of Phillipe in The Fallen Idol into French for the French release of the film. I'm not sure what part John Howard Davies took in the proceedings, as I've seen three newsreels of the event, all of which feature Bobby Henrey, but none of which show any sign of John Howard Davies.

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast