Senior Member Country: UK SainT's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    I'm looking the British (not sure) feature film for a long time. If this is not a feature film, then it is either a TV movie or mini-series. I watched this film in former Yugoslavia, between 1985 and 1989, so I guess it was made in the late 1970s to the late 1980s. The setting of this film could be an area like Lake District in northwest England. If someone watched this episode of Agatha Christie's Poirot (TV series 1989– )...
    Dumb Witness (#6.4) (TV episode 1996)
    "Agatha Christie: Poirot" Dumb Witness (TV episode 1996) - IMDb
    ... this is the same type of idyllic place with a lake and woods, I mean the atmosphere is similar, except when it comes to this film, I had many nightmares for a long time. There are some mysterious murders and disappearances in a village, connected with a remote house full of dolls. The owner of this house is an elderly woman and she collects these dolls. All the dolls in this house "sit" on some couches and chairs in a special spot for each doll and nobody of the guests have the right to remove or touch the dolls. I think the murders are not committed in this house, but in a nearby summer house or pavilion. For each murder, some doll begins to move to another spot on the couch or disappear from the house. The film is in colour.

Greg Mishevski
    Last edited by SainT; 19-02-12 at 12:57 AM.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Sounds rather like The Psychopath (1965), Greg, but it's set in London (or Shepperton backlot).

Senior Member Country: England captainhaddock's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    i just watched the psychopath just recently and it sounds very much like it
    there was an eccentric old german woman with a house full of dolls
    and a doll resembling the murder victim would be left at the scene of the crime

Senior Member Country: UK SainT's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    Gerald and captainhaddock,
    Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Now, I have watched these two YouTube clips:
    Psychopath (1966) Amicus Freddie Francis Robert Bloch.avi (11:44)
    and
    THE PSYCHOPATH (Las Mu�ecas de la Muerte-1966) (2:51)

Unfortunately, in these two YouTube clips, there is no scene of the old woman's house full of dolls.

Also, there is missing the complete film in YouTube... to check if The Psychopath (1965) is the film I'm looking.
    I typed in Google:
    "The Psychopath"+"1966"
    ... and there was a complete film (78:41), uploaded on 28 November 2011 by MrFsFilms, but then I clicked on the YouTube link, there is this message:
    "This video is no longer available because the uploader has closed their YouTube account."
    "Sorry about that."

So, I need a DVD copy of The Psychopath (1965) to check myself if this is the film I'm looking.

The plot of The Psychopath (1965) sounds very much like the film I'm looking.
    On the other hand, I think the old woman's house full of dolls is not located in the city/town, but somewhere in the countryside, near the lake.
    The other thing is that I'm convinced there is a summer house or pavilion in the film I'm looking.
    I'm not certain if this is a British film. It could be an American movie. So, the setting of the film I'm looking could be somewhere in US (probably New England or American Northwest) or Canada.

Please answer:
    In The Psychopath (1965)...
    1. Where is located the old woman's house full of dolls... is it in a city/town or is it in a countryside?
    2. Is there a summer house or pavilion?

Greg Mishevski
    Last edited by SainT; 19-02-12 at 06:47 AM.

Senior Member Country: England captainhaddock's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    the old german woman with all the dolls lives in like a georgian town house

as far as a pavillion is concerned theres an attemted murder in a boat yard and actual murders in a scrapyard and art studio and the like so the locations do change

i found most of the film claustrophobic particularly in the town house style locations

i'll try and put some snap shots up but i cant find the dvd !

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SainT View Post
    Gerald and captainhaddock,
    On the other hand, I think the old woman's house full of dolls is not located in the city/town, but somewhere in the countryside, near the lake.
    The other thing is that I'm convinced there is a summer house or pavilion in the film I'm looking.
    I'm not certain if this is a British film. It could be an American movie. So, the setting of the film I'm looking could be somewhere in US (probably New England or American Northwest) or Canada.
    Please answer:
    In The Psychopath (1965)...
    1. Where is located the old woman's house full of dolls... is it in a city/town or is it in a countryside?
    2. Is there a summer house or pavilion?
    Greg Mishevski
    Parts of Shepperton - already mentioned as a possibility - are very leafy and on the River Thames; several houses look very georgian and have summerhouses.

There are some stills of The Psychopath on this website which might prompt some memories. You may need to scroll some little way down the page.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    I believe it may also possibly be the BBC series MAELSTROM from 1985, a British/Norwiegian co-production set by a fjord (hence the possibility of your 'lake district' memory. In an homage to hear earlier horror films like TASTE OF FEAR and THE FIEND, Ann Todd plays an insane old woman somehow connected (or is she?...) with the murders, who lives in a pavillion-type building nearby, and and there is a house (a boathouse even?) full of dolls involved. But there's also a similar madwoman in the THRILLER episode 'K is For Killing'- the only good bit in the whole episode, actually, as the rest, a poor mixture of comedy and suspense that was supposed to launch Stephen Rea and Gayle Hunnicutt as husband and wife detective duo 'The Team' (glad it didn't) represents the great Brian Clemens' only misfire thus far in anotherwise impeccable career.

Oh, and there are also more "doll and outhouse" shenanigans, this time with a large swimming pool, in Hammer's CRESCENDO (1970) They were popular themes back then...