Member Country: Portugal
    Liked
    0 times
    I�d like to know the title of a film set in Russia in the late XIX/early XX century, about a jewish man who went to St. Petersburg seeking justice after a progrom (I think he insisted in speaking directly to the Tsar). He unwillingly becomes embroidered in some very twisted political plot, in which he plays the scapegoat. He is sent to prison, where his jailer was a bald man (who used to continuously twist his right cheek as a tic). In the end someone shots the bald man (I vivid remember him slowly creeps down the wall, after being shot, still making the tic in his check), and the jewish man flees.

I keep associating a title like �The Man of Odessa� or �The Man of St. Petersburg� to this film, but probably that�s my tired memory playing tricks on me, as neither works with aforementioned titles (the film with John Voigt and Ken Follett�s book) have plots even close to this one. I think it was a 1960�s or early 1970�s production (I watched it c. 1982).

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui View Post
    I�d like to know the title of a film set in Russia in the late XIX/early XX century, about a jewish man who went to St. Petersburg seeking justice after a progrom (I think he insisted in speaking directly to the Tsar). He unwillingly becomes embroidered in some very twisted political plot, in which he plays the scapegoat. He is sent to prison, where his jailer was a bald man (who used to continuously twist his right cheek as a tic). In the end someone shots the bald man (I vivid remember him slowly creeps down the wall, after being shot, still making the tic in his check), and the jewish man flees.

I keep associating a title like �The Man of Odessa� or �The Man of St. Petersburg� to this film, but probably that�s my tired memory playing tricks on me, as neither works with aforementioned titles (the film with John Voigt and Ken Follett�s book) have plots even close to this one. I think it was a 1960�s or early 1970�s production (I watched it c. 1982).
    I think you're referring to The Fixer (1968), see link and photo The Fixer (1968) - IMDb

[IMG][/IMG]

Senior Member Country: England Elaine's Avatar
    Liked
    600 times
    I think you are right agutterfan. The description seems pretty close to The Fixer.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    We have quite a few bits of memorabilia including some of my rare London adverts on the DB thread don't we Elaine? Maybe our first correspondent would like to become a regular contributor on there?

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui View Post
    I’d like to know the title of a film set in Russia in the late XIX/early XX century, about a jewish man who went to St. Petersburg seeking justice after a progrom (I think he insisted in speaking directly to the Tsar). He unwillingly becomes embroidered in some very twisted political plot, in which he plays the scapegoat. He is sent to prison, where his jailer was a bald man (who used to continuously twist his right cheek as a tic). In the end someone shots the bald man (I vivid remember him slowly creeps down the wall, after being shot, still making the tic in his check), and the jewish man flees.

I keep associating a title like “The Man of Odessa” or “The Man of St. Petersburg” to this film, but probably that’s my tired memory playing tricks on me, as neither works with aforementioned titles (the film with John Voigt and Ken Follett’s book) have plots even close to this one. I think it was a 1960’s or early 1970’s production (I watched it c. 1982).
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    We have quite a few bits of memorabilia including some of my rare London adverts on the DB thread don't we Elaine? Maybe our first correspondent would like to become a regular contributor on there?
    Hi, Rick,

The Dirk Bogarde thread does indeed have London adverts and more gems from you.

Hello, Rui: Please do come over and visit our Bogarde thread.

Go here for our long discussion, plus photos, re: Bogarde in THE FIXER (1968)

http://filmdope.com/forums/ac...ogarde-30.html

All best,

Barbara

Member Country: Portugal
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you very much Agutterfan!

Rick C and Barbara, thanks also for your very nice invitations. Dirk Bogarde has always been one of my favorite British actors, I think he was perfect in Death in Venice.