Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dracula (1979)

Member Country: Great Britain Moon's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Any fans out there of this beautiful film starring Frank Langella and Laurence Olivier? Would like to hear your views!

Senior Member Country: Wales David Challinor's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Yes, mainly because I have stayed in the spooky hotel where it was shot in Tintagel, Cornwall, which is available to see here Cornwall Holiday Accommodation in Luxury | Camelot Castle

...my stay was many years ago now, and the place was spooky and deserted - me and an old girlfriend checked in and just as we were separately freshening up there was this ALMIGHTY NOISE that 'freaked' us both out right away - it was an RAF jet on a training mission along the coast!
    In those days the place took the King Arthur theme a little too far. For instance the bar was called Excalibar [geddit?] etc, but the place had old fashioned charm, if a little draughty

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    55 times
    Super film version of a great story, lets not forget Kate Nelligan either :) ding dong tasty totty in her day.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    8 times
    I like this film too, but the dvd is drained of colour, deliberately for 'artistic' reasons I believe. I had a super 8 print which had a more saturated colour palette, has did a 16mm library copy.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Yes, I like this film. It looks good, has a great Drac, and it isn't too ridiculous. My copy is off-air and I believe doesn't have the drained palette of the DVD release - but would have to dig it out to check.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    I think this film was the first Dracula film that I saw as a kid (is it the one where the Count in devil hound form rips the throat of the crew of 'The Demeter'?)

Member Country: Great Britain Moon's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    That's the one. It's the only bit of gore in it. The rest of the move is not really a horror film at all - more an epic, sweeping romance. It's all SO stylish; some of the camera tricks and set-ups are just beautiful. It's high time this had some sort of re-appraisal - blu-ray - restoration - two disk set with both the coloured and drained versions - commentary - cast reunion etc etc ...

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    And it has Donald Pleasence eating sweets again!

Liked
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    And it has Donald Pleasence eating sweets again!
    I read somewhere that he kept eating during the shooting (on many scenes) for the director had to "stay" longer on him

The John Williams score is beautiful, my fav Dracula adaptation, even if the psychadelic "love scene" is too much, heu ...psychadelic. But the two dvd copies I got, are very dark, don't know if the film has been restaured or not

Last edited by moonfleet; 29-03-12 at 09:00 PM.

Senior Member Country: Europe Heinrich's Avatar
    Liked
    63 times
    It was forgettable, failing to justify why ever it was made.
    The only impression it left with me was that there were long closeups of the star's swarthy, large-featured face. He must have been considered a dreamboat or something.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    It's all SO stylish; some of the camera tricks and set-ups are just beautiful. It's high time this had some sort of re-appraisal - blu-ray - restoration - two disk set with both the coloured and drained versions - commentary - cast reunion etc etc ...
    The 2004 Region 1 DVD release does have a director's commentary (in which he addresses the vexed issue of the film's "limited palette") plus a 40-minute making of documentary (including interviews with the film's star, producer, writer and composer) and an extensive Stills Gallery...

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    I dedicated a whole thread to this Spanish magazine a few months ago, mainly for the Lee connection,

sicifiworld44.jpg

but one of the films it dedicates a (6 page) spread to is the 1979 Langella Dracula, which it describes as "the missing link, halfway between Hammer and Coppola". It considers it an unjustly overlooked version, and also goes on about the 'degraded' colour; the writer expresses a preference for the full colour version (which he has only managed to see once at a film club years ago) as the application of the limited colour seems random and disorganised, and he remembers the colour being particularly good. He also says that the now deleted laser-disc version was the colour one. The article is well illustrated, but the photos just remind me that I didn't like Langella's appearance as Dracula - although I wrote about the version very positively in my diary the night it was on(!)

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    9 times
    Frank Langella has written a gossipy tell biography.He has bitchy remarks to make about many of the stars he has worked with over the years..

But good stuff too.He got on very well with Lawrence Olivier.They had ajoining suites and spent most of their time together..He was a little concerned that Olivier fancied him though.. ;-)

Senior Member Country: England cumberbatches_woman's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    i was working at one of the ABC cinemas as an usherette when this was showing, one of the better versions of the classic i thought, Langella was as handsome as ever as the Count. hqdefault.jpgfrank-langella-dracula.jpg as you can see Heinrich, dreamboat is spot on, its a woman thing.
    Last edited by cumberbatches_woman; 04-04-12 at 08:47 PM.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Excellent film .... one of the best adaptations of the story.

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight sheep View Post
    Frank Langella has written a gossipy tell biography.He has bitchy remarks to make about many of the stars he has worked with over the years..But good stuff too.He got on very well with Lawrence Olivier.They had ajoining suites and spent most of their time together..He was a little concerned that Olivier fancied him though.. ;-)
    Why, because he called him "darlng"or "dear boy" as he was wont to do? Honestly the egos of some actors

Am I right in thinking I may have seen Langella in the West End as Dracula? I certainly saw it, but have forgotten who was in it.

I believe he and Whoopi Goldberg were an unlikely twosome a few years ago. Or maybe still are.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    Excellent film .... one of the best adaptations of the story.
    I haven't seen it for years so have just bought it from Amazon.

Senior Member Country: UK Paul Waines's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    I think this is a great film, with a jollyfine cast. I have it on dvd, video, and 8mm, and the colours seem quite the ticket on all of them...

What release dvd had the poor colours?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    My old pal Eddie Powell was the stunt man who got hoisted up the mast at the end of the movie. He had so many tales to tell about his adventures in the movies. I might just post them here in due course ...

Stephen Laws
    www.stephenlaws.com

Liked
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Waines View Post
    I think this is a great film, with a jollyfine cast. I have it on dvd, video, and 8mm, and the colours seem quite the ticket on all of them...

What release dvd had the poor colours?
    I got a cheap french edition (Bach Films) which is really poor lightened (you'd have to guess who is who in that darkness )

...and this Universal UK which is a bit better

+ il y a Donald Pleasence sur la jaquette
    Last edited by moonfleet; 07-04-12 at 04:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast