Member Country: England AndersRobinson's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Definately my favourite Agatha Christie novel, but to my mind, the movie versions have never fully captured the darkness of the story (except perhaps for the Russian production).

I have often thought about who I would most liked to have seen appear in this movie. My ideas were;

Rogers: Brian Glover
    Mrs Rogers: Patsy Smart
    General MacArthur:
    Emily Brent: Rosalie Crutchley
    Phlip Lombard: ?
    Vera Clyde: ?
    Justice Wargrave: Ferdy Mayne
    Dr Armstrong: ?
    Mr Blore: Brian Blessed
    Anthony Marston: ?

I know most of these actors are no longer with us. I would be interested to know of other peoples own ideas for the roles in this story.

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    For me the lovely June Duprez is pretty unbeatable as Vera Claythorne!

Liked
    0 times
    She certainly played it with just the right amount of vulnerability. That is to say, not too much.

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    I really like the Oliver Reed version. Great cast (even Charles aznavour lol)! I have seen the black and white version, not sure when it was made, but I found it hard work.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AndersRobinson View Post
    Definately my favourite Agatha Christie novel, but to my mind, the movie versions have never fully captured the darkness of the story (except perhaps for the Russian production).

I have often thought about who I would most liked to have seen appear in this movie. My ideas were;

Rogers: Brian Glover
    Mrs Rogers: Patsy Smart
    General MacArthur:
    Emily Brent: Rosalie Crutchley
    Phlip Lombard: ?
    Vera Clyde: ?
    Justice Wargrave: Ferdy Mayne
    Dr Armstrong: ?
    Mr Blore: Brian Blessed
    Anthony Marston: ?

I know most of these actors are no longer with us. I would be interested to know of other peoples own ideas for the roles in this story.
    I haven't seen the Russian version, but the reason why most of them haven't captured the darkness of the book is because they follow Christie's watered-down stage-play version of the story, which allows two characters to be hero and heroine, which they most definitely weren't in the book.

I quite fancy a 30-something Dirk Bogarde as Lombard, the young Denholm Elliot as Marston and William Hartnell as Blore.

Member Country: Australia jaydee's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I haven't seen the Russian version either, but to my mind the whole story was a let-down in all the versions I have seen with the survival of the hero and heroine.

Justice Wargrave - Charles Laughton

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by faginsgirl View Post
    I really like the Oliver Reed version. Great cast (even Charles aznavour lol)! I have seen the black and white version, not sure when it was made, but I found it hard work.
    Dpends which B/W one. I love the Rene Clair Hollywood one, played with just the right amount of tongue in cheek. The 1989 one is deadly despite having Herbert Lom and Donald Pleasance in it.

An ideal cast for a British version ?

Early 60s MGM British version

Rogers: Norman Bird
    Mrs Rogers: Dandy Nichols
    General MacArthur: John Le Mesurier
    Emily Brent: Margaret Rutherford
    Phlip Lombard: Richard Johnson - who played Wargrave in the West End a couple of years ago
    Vera Clyde: Susan Hampshire
    Justice Wargrave: Robert Morley
    Dr Armstrong: Richard Wattis
    Mr Blore: Stringer Davies
    Anthony Marston: John Fraser

In this version Fred Narracott turns up in the form of David Lodge
    Last edited by Windthrop; 16-03-12 at 11:01 AM.

Liked
    0 times
    Some interesting suggestions for alternative actors. I can well imagine most of them.

Richard Wattis would've be great as the sly Doctor.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    The Rene Clair version is superb, especially June Duprez, Louis Hayward, Judith Anderson and Barry Fitzgerald. The 70s one with Oliver Reed is OK but suffers a bit from being miscast (Elke Sommer) or too vicious (the ending, and Richard Attenborough).

I'm not sure about ideal casting if we're talking about contemporary actors. Lombard in particular has to be the right mix of urbane and adventurer, hard to achieve.

Has anyone seen the 60s version, which I think featured pop star Fabian? Any good?

Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by didi-5 View Post
    The Rene Clair version is superb, especially June Duprez, Louis Hayward, Judith Anderson and Barry Fitzgerald. The 70s one with Oliver Reed is OK but suffers a bit from being miscast (Elke Sommer) or too vicious (the ending, and Richard Attenborough).

I'm not sure about ideal casting if we're talking about contemporary actors. Lombard in particular has to be the right mix of urbane and adventurer, hard to achieve.

Has anyone seen the 60s version, which I think featured pop star Fabian? Any good?
    The 60's version has a good cast and is directed by George Pollock, who was behind the Rutherford Marple films. That said it has totally inappropriate title sequence music and little real suspense. Along with the 70's version it has some entertainment value unlike the last of the three versions in which I mentioned earlier in the thread, the 1989 version. It is simply inept and should be avoided IMHO

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by didi-5 View Post

I did have this one on dvd , but sold it recently on e-bay. The older cast members steal every scene. Particularly Dennis Price, Wilfred Hyde White & Stanley Holloway. Fabian looked fantastic but got a lot of criticism for his performance. Shirley Eaton looked great as ever, but I have to say her acting in this was appalling.

Incidentally, the script from the sixties version was used again, almost word for word, in the seventies version.

Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AndersRobinson View Post
    Incidentally, the script from the sixties version was used again, almost word for word, in the seventies version.
    As you would expect from economically minded Harry Alan Towers (who produced the 60s/70s/80s versions)