Thread: Local Hero

Junior Member Country: Scotland 13thFloorvendetta's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Another classic from Forsyth....!

Great location and some magical acting from Fulton Mackay....

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    There were some great locations, the village and harbour were on the east coast of Scotland and the beach scenes were on the west coast. In the film they appeared minutes away from each other! I think it is a perfectly cast film, not only Fulton Mackay, but the whole ensemble cast, easily Forsyth's best work, glad you like it and welcome to the forum.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    I love everything about the film, and would probably agree that it's Forsyth's best, but not necessarily the one I enjoyed most at first viewing; that would have to be Gregory's Girl. But Local Hero is a joy to see - particularly on the big screen where you can really let the wonderful light surround you. The imdb says he's only made 9 films, and hasn't actually had anything released since 1999. It seems strange, but then I know nothing of his life.

Senior Member Country: Wales David Challinor's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    my favourite film soundtrack....a film and sound scape of my college days in my early 20s ...well, swop the Scottish location for Weymouth : )

Senior Member Country: Ireland Nimuae's Avatar
    Liked
    34 times
    Is that the one with Dennis Lawson and Burt Lancaster ? If it is - I love that film. Must buy the DVD.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon View Post
    I love everything about the film, and would probably agree that it's Forsyth's best, but not necessarily the one I enjoyed most at first viewing; that would have to be Gregory's Girl. But Local Hero is a joy to see - particularly on the big screen where you can really let the wonderful light surround you. The imdb says he's only made 9 films, and hasn't actually had anything released since 1999. It seems strange, but then I know nothing of his life.
    Agree it is lovely film that survives the test of time - love the scene with Lancaster and Fulton Mackay. Forsyth never really found his footing again IIRC. I remember he did one of the Burt Reynold's comeback films which got reasonable reviews at the time but is now forgotten. He probably makes TV commercials now and is among that distinguished line-up of talents like Alexander Mackendrick who have short careers.

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthrop View Post
    I remember he did one of the Burt Reynold's comeback films which got reasonable reviews at the time but is now forgotten.
    That's right! I'd forgotten that one (er ... as you said). It was called Breaking In and I really enjoyed it when I saw it. Reynolds is a very relaxed Hollywood heavyweight, underplaying a nice father-figure role to his puppy-like apprentice. Good stuff. (I haven't seen it for 20 years, I should mention).

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    A film that was made magical by that strange mixing of real/pretend that only an icon like Burt Lancaster could engender. I was reading in his biography (by Kate Buford) that for Bill Forsyth, Burt Lancaster was "the hero of screen days" and he actually wrote the lines for Happer imagining Lancaster as speaking them. The fact that his hero then took the part (at a fraction of his Hollywood fees) must have made it very special. The Scot maybe also enjoyed getting the attention of the ribbing from the toothsome living legend, who apparently took to joshing Forsyth as "the man who spoke no known language"

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Thats a very good biography by Kate Buford, just finished reading it myself a while back, Lancaster had also taken Peter Capaldi to the side and said words to the effect of "look kid, i really love what you are doing....but I just can't understand a damn word you are saying" By all accounts Lancaster very much enjoyed working on the film and was a big fan of the final result.

Senior Member Country: UK LocalHero's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    You called?

I absolutely adore Local Hero, hence my user name. I find it really magical. In particular the shot of the helicopter's bright lights emerging from the sunset while the locals are walking along the beach is so beautiful it brings tears to my eyes.

I was brought up in a fishing town on the East Coast of Scotland so it has a lot of resonance for me in many ways as we locals watched waves of Americans come over due to the oil industry. The father of one of my schoolfriends can be spotted in the scene at Aberdeen Airport at the beginning too.

Although I love the film I only watch it around once a year as I'm scared the magic will wear off and it gives me an annual treat to look forward to.

Super Moderator Country: United States wearysloth's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times
    Greetings,

Anyone got a Local Hero script and/or are familiar with the supporting cast?
    I'm trying to improve my page for the film and put faces to names.
    http://www.aveleyman.com/FilmCredit.aspx?FilmID=11333

cheers
    t

Senior Member Country: Scotland bruiser15's Avatar
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wearysloth View Post
    Greetings,

Anyone got a Local Hero script and/or are familiar with the supporting cast?
    I'm trying to improve my page for the film and put faces to names.
    http://www.aveleyman.com/FilmCredit.aspx?FilmID=11333

cheers
    t
    The picture you have for the Skipper played by Kenny Ireland is in fact a very young Jonathan Watson who plays Jonathan in the film I will dig out my copy and have a bit look

Super Moderator Country: United States wearysloth's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times
    f11333-8.jpg
    Thanks!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    The village us Pennan, north of Aberdeen. My other half used to be a RAF reservist officer based at RAF Buchan and I visited her once and we drove up there. Lovely place; deserted almost - a Centenary of Cinema plaque on a wall, and a real phone box (the village didn't have one; the one in the film was a prop, but one was installed thanks to the film..). The drive down to it is steep and bendy - and terrifying! In fact the beach is on the opposite side of Scotland, in Morar.

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Absolutely love this great film. I can't think of a single bad thing about it.

In the 90s, while on holiday in the Highlands, we stopped to take a photo of a beautiful remote loch. I always enjoyed looking at that photo. Years later, we got the dvd of this film and while watching it, it hit me. I had to pause it, and get our photos out. We took our pic from the exact same spot where McIntyre and Oldsen are shown having spent the night in their car, when they get out, do some stretches and get some grass for the injured rabbit.

We'd seen the film back in the 80s so maybe something subliminal in our memories made us stop there and take that pic.

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wearysloth View Post
    f11333-8.jpg
    Thanks!
    Do I detect a Genesis fan, by the way? (Clocking the avatar).