Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    BANG-CRASH-BOOM-WHISTLE-WHOOSH-THUMP-CLATTER...... on and on and on it goes.

I'M AS MAD AS HELL! I've just had to switch off yet ANOTHER wonderful documentary on account of it being VANDALISED by the accompanying cacophony of sound.

I CAN'T HEAR THE COMMENTARY!!!!

This modern trend of completely swamping the commentary with loud, ugly sound effects and musical instruments making harsh, discordant noises (often with a single note or chord being sustained for ages) is deplorable.

It's not only documentaries, it's also some current affairs programmes.

WHY DO THEY DO IT?
    Surely they don't think it's creative?

It's intrusive, it's infuriating, it's unnecessary, it's aural pollution and it's just plain crazy.

Senior Member Country: UK Geoffers's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    They also do this with virtually any kind of sports programmes, especially when showing compilations of goals, tries, wickets, rallies etc.. They never used to, it suddenly came in about a dozen years ago, or maybe longer. It's got to a stage that I have my finger paused above the mute button as soon as I hear "coming up later," and similar phrases, when I know inappropriate beat music will follow. Why do they do it? I think it comes, almost inevitably, from American TV sports presentations, apparently they think it "adds excitement to the atmosphere."

I cannot bear to watch MOTD2 on Sunday nights, where they seem increasingly and toe-curlingly desperate to make it "different" from MOTD, by introducing all kinds of gimmick-laden stupidity, including music. Unfortunately this is right up the street of clown presenter, Colin Murray.

Senior Member Country: UK golightly's Avatar
    Liked
    142 times
    I hate it when the credits are rolling after a programme ends and it shrinks to allow another window to open about a forthcoming attraction, so you still have the theme tune of one programme and the voice of a commentator telling you about another, and don't they ever think that some people might be interested in finding something out in the credits like who was the director, very annoying.

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    Quote Originally Posted by golightly View Post
    I hate it when the credits are rolling after a programme ends and it shrinks to allow another window to open about a forthcoming attraction, so you still have the theme tune of one programme and the voice of a commentator telling you about another, and don't they ever think that some people might be interested in finding something out in the credits like who was the director, very annoying.
    Yes, a lot of people would agree with you, including me, and in fact there have been many comments about credits in another thread somewhere.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Wall to wall music in drama series is one of my hates. Do producers not realise that incidental music, when effectively deployed, can enhance the visuals incredibly, but loud, constant music is simply distracting and, ultimately, annoying. Less can be more.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Yes, too much music is distracting and it definitely comes from the US shows.