Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the latest contributions. Yes, One Step Beyond is firmly on my international anthologies list. If there's enough demand for it, I could paste it?

Senior Member Country: UK howardmitchell's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    hi chaps.
    appologies for hi-jacking the question,but are any of these tv anthologies available on discs somewhere?
    would love to see some of these- have run out of "itv thriller",mystery and imagination,beasts,shades of darkness.
    and hanker for some more british set horror series!
    cheers
    Howard

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howardmitchell View Post
    hi chaps.
    appologies for hi-jacking the question,but are any of these tv anthologies available on discs somewhere?
    would love to see some of these- have run out of "itv thriller",mystery and imagination,beasts,shades of darkness.
    and hanker for some more british set horror series!
    cheers
    Howard
    'Mystery & Imagination' (or rather the surviving episodes) is available from Network Dvd as are 'Beasts' and 'Thriller','Shades of Darkness' is available on Region 1 via Amazon (it is short of three episodes but these are 'obtainable' via the collector circles).

Liked
    0 times
    hi thanks fot that jaycad i meant acctually that ive got those you mention ,and was hoping to find some of the others that were on the
    abouve list { not even heard of some of them !....intreaguing ?)

Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howardmitchell View Post
    hi thanks fot that jaycad i meant acctually that ive got those you mention ,and was hoping to find some of the others that were on the
    abouve list { not even heard of some of them !....intreaguing ?)
    I'd imagine that many of the titles mentioned are obtainable via collectors circles-there are a few titles that forum members are remembering from the actual airing but I'd hazard a guess that most of the offerings have been viewed in the last twenty years-I'd search the 'looking for a tv programme' thread if I was you.

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    9 times
    Has Time For Murder been mentioned yet?.
    It's available on region 1.
    Good series.

Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight sheep View Post
    Has Time For Murder been mentioned yet?.
    It's available on region 1.
    Good series.
    Good call! Only one episode that I can think off can be classed as a 'supernatural' themed episode but it's been a while since I've watched the series-I may dig out my copy next week.

Senior Member Country: UK Paul Waines's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    I think were still missing "Cats Eye", from around 1986ish...?

Liked
    0 times
    Morning guys - thanks for your input here. probably would be better to put a request in anouther,more relative section.
    i noticed a dvd copy of " out of this world" on something called i offer ? but have not used that before,so am a little wary ?
    someone may have taped origanal broadcasts when vhs came out ?
    there seems little horror/supernatural based tv programs on now ( i did get a copy of bbc's "supernatural" from the mid '70s at one point )
    cheers
    H

Liked
    9 times
    I thought Supernatural was pretty bad.
    Great acting but slow boring obscure stories.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    5 times
    Was there one called tales from the crypt. xx

Liked
    9 times
    There was a 1972 Amicus film of that name starring Joan Collins and Peter Cushing.Great film.

Also an American series which ran from 1989 to '96.Very gory black comedy tales and would recommend.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Captain Oates's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    HTV's 1980 series Border Country adapted Arthur Machen's The Shining Pyramid, which would definitely qualify. Not sure about the content of any other editions though. See:

http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/345802

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Are you people aware of The Sole Survivor mystery?

There are a number of people, and they appear to be exclusively British, who insist they saw a movie just like Sole Survivor (the one starring William Shatner and Richard Basehart) except it was black and white and the ending is they are ghosts, but they didn't know it. They are very insistent although there is no theatrical movie prior to Sole Survivor like that and none of them can identify any of the actors.

Theories to explain this are:

There was an edited European theatrical movie of Sole Survivor to explain the discrepancies in the plot (not very convincing when you take the theory apart}.

It is a hoax (although a lot of people seems to be perpetuating it)

It is an urban legend movie.

It looks like someone who spent several hours on it yesterday found the solution. Those crazy Brits confused it with Armchair Mystery Theater's The Last Reunion, a 1965 remake of a teleplay from 1955. Not an exact match but the ending makes it plausible some people are mixing the two together in their memory.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    I've been involved in this, on this and other boards- I have named both SOLE SURVIVOR and THE LAST REUNION in other people's name that film threads, but also asked, early on as a member here, about a similar film I'd seen just as Will describes above. Thing is, we had a colour TV in the living room from 1977 on, it was in the afternoon, and the film in question definitely had the look of a 40sset black and white war movie about it. And I remember my Mum going "Oh,right, so they were all ghosts, then..." as the camera panned back to reveal skeletons in a cockpit.

Still, it apparently doesn't exist!!! Bizarre....

Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by will.15 View Post
    Are you people aware of The Sole Survivor mystery?

There are a number of people, and they appear to be exclusively British, who insist they saw a movie just like Sole Survivor (the one starring William Shatner and Richard Basehart) except it was black and white and the ending is they are ghosts, but they didn't know it. They are very insistent although there is no theatrical movie prior to Sole Survivor like that and none of them can identify any of the actors.

Theories to explain this are:

There was an edited European theatrical movie of Sole Survivor to explain the discrepancies in the plot (not very convincing when you take the theory apart}.

It is a hoax (although a lot of people seems to be perpetuating it)

It is an urban legend movie.

It looks like someone who spent several hours on it yesterday found the solution. Those crazy Brits confused it with Armchair Mystery Theater's The Last Reunion, a 1965 remake of a teleplay from 1955. Not an exact match but the ending makes it plausible some people are mixing the two together in their memory.
    Season 1 of the original b&W Twilight Zone has an episode titled King 9 Will Not Return starring Robert Cummings which is the same basic plot as Sole Survivor.
    On the subject of Horror/supernatural anthologies there is an American anthology set in the old west titled Grim Prairie Tales.

Senior Member Country: France
    Liked
    0 times
    In your original post, you wrote:
    "I'm compiling a comprehensive list of supernatural/horror/sci-fi anthologies from all over the world"
    Did you mean "from all over the world", but in English only, or in any language, from any country?

Many horror/supernatural/sci-fi anthologies were made for French TV, but it's probably out of the subject?
    (among them, "Histoires extraordinaires" (1981), six episodes, all from Edgar Allan Poe's stories).

If your research is limited to English-speaking TV anthologies, don't forget:

13 DEMON STREET (Sweden/USA, 1959/60), hosted by Lon Chaney, Jr. (it was shot in English, and aired on Swedish TV in this language, with Swedish subtitles)

EDGAR ALLAN POE'S TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION (South Africa / Croatia / UK, 1995, 13 episodes - but only 11 stories, as episodes 11 and 12 were "The Masque of the Red Death" in two parts, and episode 13 was a biographical portrait of Edgar Allan Poe). I have all the episodes, but... in Italian.
    Last edited by Sweeney Todd; 23-05-12 at 09:32 AM.

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Another one to add to the list

Strange Experiences (1955-56)

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1900584/epcast

The Liars (Granada 1966)

may also qualify?
    Last edited by Arfur Teacake; 09-06-12 at 06:21 PM.

Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney Todd View Post
    In your original post, you wrote:
    "I'm compiling a comprehensive list of supernatural/horror/sci-fi anthologies from all over the world"
    Did you mean "from all over the world", but in English only, or in any language, from any country?

Many horror/supernatural/sci-fi anthologies were made for French TV, but it's probably out of the subject?
    (among them, "Histoires extraordinaires" (1981), six episodes, all from Edgar Allan Poe's stories).

If your research is limited to English-speaking TV anthologies, don't forget:

13 DEMON STREET (Sweden/USA, 1959/60), hosted by Lon Chaney, Jr. (it was shot in English, and aired on Swedish TV in this language, with Swedish subtitles)

EDGAR ALLAN POE'S TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION (South Africa / Croatia / UK, 1995, 13 episodes - but only 11 stories, as episodes 11 and 12 were "The Masque of the Red Death" in two parts, and episode 13 was a biographical portrait of Edgar Allan Poe). I have all the episodes, but... in Italian.
    I'd be interested to hear of any french supernatural tv anthologies-do you have any links?

Junior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    0 times

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast