Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    I would love to see this series again it was shown on I think ITV in 1986. Olivier as a failing old music hall artiste is great, and I met Colin Firth a few years ago and asked him about this series, he said he was surprised anyone remebered it! and he also would like to see it shown again...is it out there somewhere?

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    This isn't the same version as I've got, but it was a Region 1 DVD set (which I've yet to watch, perhaps next autumn as it has an autumnal feel to it), and it seems that a newer version was released on 23/03/2012 - marked as episode 1, but using the same cover as the November 2011 version.

http://r1.find-dvd.co.uk/region1DVDP...dvd=B0056G1ANE

Don't forget to read the book!

Nick

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    It's available on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Empires...3345963&sr=8-2

Anyone looking to buy it for Olivier may be slightly disappointed as he's only in a couple of scenes.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    thanks...but wonder why it was as far I know, not shown again

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GetoffTheLineBobby View Post
    thanks...but wonder why it was as far I know, not shown again
    JB Priestley seems to be a forgotten writer only An Inspector Calls and When We Are Married seem to be revived these days. I would love to see time plays or the any of the novels adapted for TV. I suppose as there are no cops, doctors or forensic scientists in them there is little chance.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sloane View Post
    JB Priestley seems to be a forgotten writer only An Inspector Calls and When We Are Married seem to be revived these days. I would love to see time plays or the any of the novels adapted for TV. I suppose as there are no cops, doctors or forensic scientists in them there is little chance.
    The National had an absolutely fantastic revival of Time and the Conways a few years back but sadly tv adaptations of classic plays seem to have been abandoned due to overwhelming popular demand for maverick cops

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    The National had an absolutely fantastic revival of Time and the Conways a few years back but sadly tv adaptations of classic plays seem to have been abandoned due to overwhelming popular demand for maverick cops
    You would think this would be an idea for BBC4 to pick up on, well known plays interposed with some new writers work by relative unknown actors repertory style.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    I agree totally!

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Just a heads-up to let you all know that "Lost Empires" has just been released on DVD in the UK by Acorn Media. a 2 disc set, running time: 411 minutes. My copy arrived here today.
    Alistair
    Haven't watched any of it yet.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    I wish they would release the BBC version of I Have Been Here Before starring Herbert Lom. IIRC it was superb.

Senior Member Country: England Elaine's Avatar
    Liked
    600 times
    My dvd of this series came today. I don't remember watching it when it was on TV, but as I like Colin Firth I thought I would give it a go.