Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Another of these mini bios, but only a half hour one this time. Not bad but the full hour seemed more justified here. I noticed Norman Wisdom only got the half hour slot. Danny La Rue got the full hour ? Seems like a lottery to me
    Last edited by Windthrop; 12-04-12 at 10:44 AM.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Yes, should have been given a full hour. I enjoy these shows but the majority are not long anough.

Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jch View Post
    Yes, should have been given a full hour. I enjoy these shows but the majority are not long anough.
    I noticed that the incident about his ashes going down the toilet was missed out !

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    A forgotten genius as far as I am concerned. His BBC shows were brilliant. However,like many BBC stars of the time,he was enticed over to ITV for bigger money and the shows were nowhere near as good!
    Ta Ta
    Marky B

Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky B View Post
    A forgotten genius as far as I am concerned. His BBC shows were brilliant. However,like many BBC stars of the time,he was enticed over to ITV for bigger money and the shows were nowhere near as good!
    Ta Ta
    Marky B
    Totally agree ! He did go back to the beeb for some series of comedy mysteries in the 80s but it was never the same IMHO. When it came to risque humour I preferred him to Benny Hill and he was more of an actor than a comic.

Senior Member Country: Ireland seanflynn76's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    Really enjoyed last nights show. But I fully agree, 30 minutes wasn't anywhere near enough, celebrating the life and career of Dick Emery. I would have like to have learnt more about his film career, and seen abit more interview footage of the great man himself. My one gripe about the Unforgettable series is that ITV do treat as abit of a filler-in, I wish they'd show the series as a series. Anyone know when the Noele Gordon episode is due to be shown????

Senior Member Country: UK Wee Sonny MacGregor's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Far from the 30 minutes, leaving out the ads the programme actually ran for just under 23 minutes. Agree - it was by no means long enough. Why go to the trouble of all the research, film footage etc and then give the great man such a short programme?

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    Watched this too, far too short. Grew up with his BBC Saturday night show. Find it disgraceful that the Beeb won't release his shows on DVD (just a Best of). There seems to be some inverse snobbery with BBC comedy releases, Sykes and The Goodies also get short shrift. The Beeb can't use the PC unacceptable humuor argument as it's fine to release the complete Are You Being Served? and 'Allo 'Allo. Not complaining about those releases just saying fair's fair. You can't airbrush British TV and Film culture, they reflected their times and culture.

Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by agutterfan View Post
    Watched this too, far too short. Grew up with his BBC Saturday night show. Find it disgraceful that the Beeb won't release his shows on DVD (just a Best of). There seems to be some inverse snobbery with BBC comedy releases, Sykes and The Goodies also get short shrift. The Beeb can't use the PC unacceptable humuor argument as it's fine to release the complete Are You Being Served? and 'Allo 'Allo. Not complaining about those releases just saying fair's fair. You can't airbrush British TV and Film culture, they reflected their times and culture.
    Well said.

I suppose those which have survived in terms of releases and repeats have gained 'classic' status. DE is unlucky in terms of posterity because he died before the PC debate on TV started and didn't become an issue like Benny Hill, his nearest contemporary. DE just faded from cultural memory in a sense. Personally I preferred DE over BH because DE was a real actor and you always knew how creepy his characters were.

Senior Member Country: England paul kersey's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    I was so pleased to find that Dick Emery was as funny as I remember him being. I was always allowed to stay up and watch him when I was a child, his bovver boy character along with the late lamented Roy Kinnear were my favourites. The near the knuckle humour may just have passed over my head and seemed harmless. I sincerely hope that more of his material remains or has it gone the way of all good things and been destroyed?

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    I have seen bits of Emery's shows since I was a regular viewer as a kid, and frankly I can't agree that they stand up that well. They're OK, but not, IMHO, forgotten classics.

Having said that, the man is a brilliant comic actor (which comes across in the shows - it's the scripts which are lazy) and always a boon to films: The Wrong Arm of the Law and The Fast Lady are two that spring to mind. You're right, Windthrop, about the creepiness of his characters; none was likeable really - all were somehow threatening or worrying or simply pathetic; I saw a bit of Parkinson with him (in another documentary I suppose) where he talks about how those teeth change his vicar from normal to somehow worrying. Good actor, not a great show. It's probably not a PC question, just a question of demand, I expect.

I seem to remember that when he died there was a feeling that he was dragged through the mud and crucified by the tabloids (a waste of time with a dead man, you might think, but tabloids are what they are) because they had run out of bonhomie for dead comedians, having recently obiturated Marty Feldman, Arthur Askey, Arthur Lowe and Chesney Allen (yes, I googled and wiki'ed). But that can't have been the case, as the following year or so would see the deaths of John Le Mesurier, Eric Morecambe and Leonard Rossiter, all of whom were canonised.
    But I am convinced (sort of) that there was this feeling at the time that Emery had done nothing to deserve the trashing he got except to die when comedy empathy fatigue had set in.

Does anyone else remember it like that?

Senior Member Country: England Laura Jesson's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by paul kersey View Post
    I was so pleased to find that Dick Emery was as funny as I remember him being. I was always allowed to stay up and watch him when I was a child, his bovver boy character along with the late lamented Roy Kinnear were my favourites. The near the knuckle humour may just have passed over my head and seemed harmless. I sincerely hope that more of his material remains or has it gone the way of all good things and been destroyed?
    I loved the outtakes at the end, which was unique to him, and one which always sticks in my mind is when he and Pat Coombs (very funny lady!) were walking away from a ferry that they had just got off with all their holiday luggage, and it sounded its horn. Quick as a flash, DE shook his leg as though letting something out of his trousers and said "Sorry about that", leaving Pat Coombs in hysterics and unable to carry on.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthrop View Post
    When it came to risque humour I preferred him to Benny Hill and he was more of an actor than a comic.
    One of the best sketches for me was of him as an Army officer showing a new Subaltern (?) around the camp and DE is telling him that it was all very relaxed with little formality.

DE "Yes, you see we call all the officers by their first name"

SUB "Oh"

DE "And the NCOs by their surname"

SUB "I see, so what do you call your privates?"

DE (looking surprised) "Tom, Dick and Harry - what do you call yours?"

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    I did watch The Unforgettable Dick Emery on Wednesday, and i enjoyed the programme very much, like others on this Thread have already said, a shame that the programme was not longer, i can remember watching The Dick Emery Show on Saturday Evenings in the late 1970's/early 1980's, happy childhood memories, below is a classic Dick Emery sketch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVMRw3mBo_o

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I failed to raise a smile, let alone a laugh, watching that programme. Was sorry for the lady whose heart was broken (Fay Hillier I think).

Radio Times preview, 15th April 1968 (Easter Monday)

This was a repeat of an episode first shown on 8th May 1967:

Special guest was French singer Irene Berthier.

"Other artists appearing:

Mark Singleton, Josephine Blake, Ted Carson, Andre Dean, Claire James, Doel Luscombe, Ronald Mayer,
    Barbara New, Frank Littlewood, David Jason, Penny Riley, Roy Marsden, John Salmon, Richard Blomfield

Musical director, Harry Rabinowitz; Scripts by BRAD ASHTON, AUSTIN STEELE; Filmed interviews by
    DAVID CUMMING; Script editor, Austin Steele; Designer, Chris Pemsel; Produced by ERNEST MAXIN.

Not sure I know many of those "other artists". Barbara New was the mother in the adverts for Sinex who used to say "Course you can, Malcolm", and Mark Singleton had other 'undetermined roles' in Hancock's Half Hour and Steptoe and Son. Early roles for David Jason and Roy Marsden.

Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    "Course you can, Malcolm"
    I have used that phrase constantly (well, repeatedly, I should say) since the 70s. I can't help it. I cannot say "Course you can" without adding "Malcolm". I also say it with a blocked-nose voice, which is all wrong, but somehow necessary. In my opinion.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon View Post
    I have used that phrase constantly (well, repeatedly, I should say) since the 70s. I can't help it. I cannot say "Course you can" without adding "Malcolm". I also say it with a blocked-nose voice, which is all wrong, but somehow necessary. In my opinion.
    I say that as well, and cannot resist adding Malcolm (I then get quizzical looks from the younger generation who think I've lost the plot!) Ain't it funny how some ads just stick in your mind, even though I've never bought Sinex - so much for subliminal advertising!
    But it did help that we had a friend whose Mother looked just like her and I think that is why it stuck.

Malcolm: " Oh Mumb, I can'd go to worg"
    Mum: "Course you can, Malcolm!"

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mervyn2's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Jesson View Post
    Malcolm: " Oh Mumb, I can'd go to worg"
    Mum: "Course you can, Malcolm!"
    And not forgetting:

Malcolm: Aww Mum, I can't do my exams with my dose stuffed up like this
    Mum: Course you can Malcolm!

Also:

Malcolm: A second class ticket to Dottingham please

Unforgettable...yep :)

Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mervyn2 View Post
    And not forgetting:

Malcolm: Aww Mum, I can't do my exams with my dose stuffed up like this
    Mum: Course you can Malcolm!
    And when he came back, she said "So - how did it go?" and he said "The Sinex? Great! Didn't need it once!" "No - the exams, silly!" "oh ... er ..." (The End). Excellent.

I too have never bought Sinex.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mervyn2's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon View Post
    And when he came back, she said "So - how did it go?" and he said "The Sinex? Great! Didn't need it once!" "No - the exams, silly!" "oh ... er ..." (The End). Excellent.

I too have never bought Sinex.
    Excellent memory there too Mr R - just tell me you've never borrowed Sinex eh? hehe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast