Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01hw3zk

Next on:

Next Saturday, 14:30 on BBC Radio 4 (FM only)

Synopsis

Natalie Walter is pursuing a title and Alistair McGowan plays the seven members of a family standing in her way in a sequel to the famous Edwardian comedy by Roy Horniman.
    The action of this new radio sequel to a classic comedy takes place some years after the death of the 10th Earl of Chalfont, a man who has systematically murdered his family in order to inherit his title. The twentieth century rolls on and even against a backdrop of international conflict and revolution, an Earldom is still not to be sniffed at apparently. It is rather to be fought for by fair means and foul. There are at least eight claimants to the Chalfont title, all of them ruthless. The Gascoyne family is a big one, its sense of entitlement enormous, its appetite for violence impressive and the family resemblance at times uncanny. A fresh modern take on a great comic plot, this Saturday Drama draws both on the Edwardian novel 'Israel Rank' by Roy Horniman for inspiration.
    David Spicer's entirely new version of this brilliantly simple story has something to offer both those who know the original and those who come to it for the first time.
    The cast includes Natalie Walter, Simon Greenall, Jane Whittenshaw, Sally Orrock, David Holt, Steve Hodson....and Alistair McGowan as the entire Gascoyne family.
    Producer: Frank Stirling
    A Unique Production for BBC Radio 4.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    At least it will only be on the radio.

Some stories just don't have sequels in them.

I would have thought a better approach for a sequel was he wasn't dead. Maybe he is still trying to get that manuscript back. Or he did get it back, but there are complications and he kills some more people.

Or maybe he emigrates to America and kills people over there. Isn't he part Italian? He can join the Mafia.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    I listened to it on the car radio and thought it was pretty disappointing. I've never been a huge Alistair McGowan fan and this production did nothing to change my mind.
    Some stories like this one, simply don't work on radio because they are so visual and McGowan's voice work wasn't strong enough to sustain all the characters. I did smile though at the shop keeper who I think McGowan played as Ken Campbell?

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigon Man View Post
    I listened to it on the car radio and thought it was pretty disappointing. I've never been a huge Alistair McGowan fan and this production did nothing to change my mind.
    Some stories like this one, simply don't work on radio because they are so visual and McGowan's voice work wasn't strong enough to sustain all the characters. I did smile though at the shop keeper who I think McGowan played as Ken Campbell?
    AC starred in a crime series a few years ago and again he didn't really have a enough of a persona to carry it off.

KHAC has been adapted on Radio 4 a few times - wonder if those fared any better. The R4 version of The Ladykillers worked well enough IMHO, though if I hadn't known the film I might have felt differently about it.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I heard many years ago a radio adaptation of KHAC. It was the same as the movie. It was okay, but I already saw the movie. It was from your end of the pond. It was probably more than twenty years ago.

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by will.15 View Post
    I heard many years ago a radio adaptation of KHAC. It was the same as the movie. It was okay, but I already saw the movie. It was from your end of the pond. It was probably more than twenty years ago.
    Probably with Robert Powell. IIRC there was one with Harry Enfield a few years ago. It's a shame people always get so focussed on the Gascoynes all being played by the same actor since it's not the most interesting aspect of the film - it would work just as well with Ernest Thesiger as the Bishop, Guy Middleton as the masher etc.

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    Probably with Robert Powell. IIRC there was one with Harry Enfield a few years ago. It's a shame people always get so focussed on the Gascoynes all being played by the same actor since it's not the most interesting aspect of the film - it would work just as well with Ernest Thesiger as the Bishop, Guy Middleton as the masher etc.
    Ooh yes. Martita Hunt as Agatha. Please carry on....I musn't be greedy.

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windyridge View Post
    Ooh yes. Martita Hunt as Agatha. Please carry on....I musn't be greedy.
    The photographer would probably have been David Tomlinson but you can't have everything...

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    The photographer would probably have been David Tomlinson but you can't have everything...
    Exactly what I thought....

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    I like David Tomlinson, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Nick

Senior Member Country: England Johnallan's Avatar
    Liked
    17 times
    It's a shame people always get so focussed on the Gascoynes all being played by the same actor since it's not the most interesting aspect of the film - it would work just as well with Ernest Thesiger as the Bishop, Guy Middleton as the masher etc.
    .... and Joan Collins as Edith (senses working overtime!)

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    I would have gone for Athene Seyler as Agatha and Hunters as the Banker.

Liked
    492 times
    The Duke, of course, would have been AE Matthews. The General is only a bit part so Edward Lexy...

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    129 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigon Man View Post
    You don't have a wireless in your abode?

Senior Member Country: Australia lllIIlllIIlllIIl's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sloane View Post
    I would have gone for Athene Seyler as Agatha and Hunters as the Banker.
    'Hunters'? You wanted Martita Hunt playing the Banker?