Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Banned records

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Moor, You are correct!
    It wasn't banned, although Mary Whitehouse unsuccessfully tried to have it banned.
    I also remember it on TOTP (number 1 for several weeks, I think) and remember it going to number one in the UK (and, as it turns out, Canada and the US) but thought there was an unnofficial radio ban on it (at least by BC radio 1), but looks like I imagined that.
    Doh!

Liked
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimw1 View Post
    I believe the Title was taken from a Picture John Lennon's son' Julian' did of a School friend Named Lucy
    Yes I heard about this too, but is it the Beatles "four as a one" answer ??
    Last edited by moonfleet; 21-05-12 at 01:33 PM.

Senior Member Country: Europe Heinrich's Avatar
    Liked
    63 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Moor Larkin View Post
    Paul McCartney had his "Give Ireland back to the Irish" single banned, but I'm not sure which colour government it would have been then. I have to say they did a good job, because I don't believe I have ever heard it in my life. ...
    Easily fixed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaO4X...eature=related

Senior Member Country: UK golightly's Avatar
    Liked
    142 times
    Couple I remember being banned were Tom Robinson's Glad to be gay and the Beatles I am the Walrus for the line 'naughty girl you let your knickers down'. I also remember Tony Blackburn playing a number by the Dead kennedy's and him saying 'that was a song by a group who choose to call themselves the Dead Kennedy's', I think the beeb eventually banned their name being mentioned on air.

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    Bjork's video "Alarm Call" was banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCtzQ6KbWWY

As was also this great video from The Pogues......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=421pZgg-vlY

and this one probably doesn't get much airplay on Radio 1 these days either....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVlkKGArloM

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    109 times
    Hi,
    One of my favourite bans is a song called Deep In The Heart Of Texas. I t was banned from a programme on BBC Radio, as when it came to a part where people had to clap, a situation arose where workers listening in factories would pick up tolls and bash out the brief rythm on their machines. The BBC received complaints from firms, so they stopped playing it on ''Misic While You Work.''

Alan French.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by golightly View Post
    Couple I remember being banned were Tom Robinson's Glad to be gay and the Beatles I am the Walrus for the line 'naughty girl you let your knickers down'. I also remember Tony Blackburn playing a number by the Dead kennedy's and him saying 'that was a song by a group who choose to call themselves the Dead Kennedy's', I think the beeb eventually banned their name being mentioned on air.
    I sometimes think records were just banned when they were not subtle enough for the Beeb to have a reasonable *out*. If So Lou Reed had released "Walk on the Transexual side" I'm sure it would never have been such a broadly cast hit, just as If Chuck Berry had released, "My Wedding Tackle" then perhaps my mum wouldn't have found it so amusing, and alternative titles for Relax might have held back the huge monster that became Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Spoiler:
    "I'm a Wanker"
    was an underground hit in the clubs I recall around that time, but I don't imagine Ivor Biggun got very rich on it...

Give me the money Honey.

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    The version was banned as the opening line Answer Me Lord Above was deemed to be hymn like.

http://youtu.be/hFl1Vs-MJoY

Frankie Laine recorded as Answer me, Oh my Love and most covers have used the changed lyric

http://youtu.be/r0R0LrEF_GA

Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinrich View Post
    Easily fixed:
    What a bloody crap record. Thank god they banned it..........

Senior Member Country: Europe Heinrich's Avatar
    Liked
    63 times
    What a bloody crap record. Thank god they banned it..........
    There's no accounting for taste.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Paul McCartney had his "Give Ireland back to the Irish" single banned, but I'm not sure which colour government it would have been then. I have to say they did a good job, because I don't believe I have ever heard it in my life. His regal status nowadays just goes to show the British Establishment doesn't bear a grudge anyhow.

According to the Guinness book of British hit singles 'Give Ireland back to the Irish' entered the UK chart on the 26th of February 1972, reached position no. 16 and remained in the chart for 8 weeks, Edward Heath's Conservative Government were at the helm.

Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
    According to the Guinness book of British hit singles 'Give Ireland back to the Irish' entered the UK chart on the 26th of February 1972, reached position no. 16 and remained in the chart for 8 weeks, Edward Heath's Conservative Government were at the helm.
    I suppose that gievn that the record was for sale, it wasn't banned by any government anyway. It was just that the BBC wouldn't play it. I imagine it would have featured on Radio Luxembourg and such stations.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    I suppose that gievn that the record was for sale, it wasn't banned by any government anyway. It was just that the BBC wouldn't play it. I imagine it would have featured on Radio Luxembourg and such stations.
    Has the government ever banned any record? I wouldn't have thought that they would bother with such trivia

The BBC and other broadcasters usually don't actually ban any record (although it is often reported that way). They just don't put it on the play-list used by DJs. But other programmes can often still play them. ISTR John Peel (of the blessed memory) used to play a few records that nobody else at the Beeb was playing and so which could be thought of as being banned

Steve

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Has the government ever banned any record? I wouldn't have thought that they would bother with such trivia

The BBC and other broadcasters usually don't actually ban any record (although it is often reported that way). They just don't put it on the play-list used by DJs. But other programmes can often still play them. ISTR John Peel (of the blessed memory) used to play a few records that nobody else at the Beeb was playing and so which could be thought of as being banned

Steve
    I seem to remember him playing the Damned's Smash It Up, and saying that the Beeb had seen fit not to put it on daytime radio because "they seem to think Captain Sensible is some kind of Ayatollah figure who the kids will obey automatically".
    Great song, though.

Liked
    109 times
    Hi,
    In the 1950's, Johnny Ray's 'Such A Night' was banned by the BBC. This was embarrassing for them, as it had 11 airplays on their radio network.

In my previous contribution, I mis-spelt tools, and put tolls. Sorry.

Some bans have been lifted. Example; 'Teen Angel.' Although the BBC did play Rolph Harris' send up 'Tame Eagle.' In some ways, I am like a number people were at the time, curious how 'Teen Angel' was banned, and yet 'Tell Laura I Love Her' wasn't, when in both songs a lover meets a gruesome death? Why should one record be banned and not the other?

I am not clear why they banned Kokomo's 'Asia Minor.'

But in the 1960's, even the New Musical Express aka NME seemed surprise that The Rolling Stones' 'Satisfaction' was not banned and put in their Alley Cat column a query as to had they the BBC actually listened to the lyrics? Years later, it has been admitted that they did not.

Alan French.

Liked
    7 times
    There was a song called "My toaster wont pop up any more" which was banned from broadcasting.I wonder why.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by orpheum2 View Post
    There was a song called "My toaster wont pop up any more" which was banned from broadcasting.I wonder why.
    Because it was a reference to his penis.

Liked
    109 times
    Hi,
    Seeing the last subscription reminds me there was, in the days when people would buy pints of winkles for Sunday tea, a song which went,''I can't get my winkle out, isn't it a sin?'' I do not know if it was banned.

Oh! Well! That's me banned from Britmovie.

Alan French.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12