Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Banned records

  1. #1
    Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,515
    Liked
    243 times
    Twinkle 'Terry'


    http://www.45-rpm.org.uk/dirt/twinkle.htm

    "Lynn Ripley's adopted name- one she had been known by since a small child- may have been appropriate, for her spell of stardom was all too brief. This pretty green eyed girl with long blonde hair emerged as a singer while still only fifteen, but by the time she was seventeen her career at the top was just about all over. The young singer/ songwriter had ridden to the #4 spot in the UK chart with what was thought in some quarters to be a scandalous recording. In fact, "Terry", -a record in the 'death genre'- was even banned by the guardians of public morality at the BBC. This gave the disc- a song which the 15 year-old Twinkle had written herself- an unmerited and unwarranted notoriety which doubtless helped boost its sales. In fact, "Terry" was the forerunner of a yet unheard single in the same tragic style by the American girl group, the Shangri Las, called 'Leader Of The Pack' which appeared a month or so later. Fay Ripley the writer and actress is Lynn's neice."

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sADBdkcS7_w

  2. #2
    Senior Member Country: Europe Heinrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    801
    Liked
    63 times
    Historically, those who censor always end-up on the losing side.
    Another song banned by English television was this gorgeous French melody:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bNsI9eXpAc&feature=related

  3. #3
    Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    922
    Liked
    11 times
    I seem to remember The BBC banning 10cc's Worst Band In The World single as it DIDN'T include a rude word.The lyric was along the lines "we're the worst band in the world,we've never had a hit,we're the worst band in the world and we don't give a-"The BBC position was that the kiddiwinks would sit at home inserting their choice of swear word.Although this could have been a story put out by the band's management to try to boost sales(it is the worst track from the Sheet Music lp)

  4. #4
    Senior Member Country: Ireland Nimuae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    564
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Twinkle 'Terry'


    http://www.45-rpm.org.uk/dirt/twinkle.htm

    "Lynn Ripley's adopted name- one she had been known by since a small child- may have been appropriate, for her spell of stardom was all too brief. This pretty green eyed girl with long blonde hair emerged as a singer while still only fifteen, but by the time she was seventeen her career at the top was just about all over. The young singer/ songwriter had ridden to the #4 spot in the UK chart with what was thought in some quarters to be a scandalous recording. In fact, "Terry", -a record in the 'death genre'- was even banned by the guardians of public morality at the BBC. This gave the disc- a song which the 15 year-old Twinkle had written herself- an unmerited and unwarranted notoriety which doubtless helped boost its sales. In fact, "Terry" was the forerunner of a yet unheard single in the same tragic style by the American girl group, the Shangri Las, called 'Leader Of The Pack' which appeared a month or so later. Fay Ripley the writer and actress is Lynn's neice."

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sADBdkcS7_w
    I am not surprised her career was brief - that is truly dreadful !

  5. #5
    Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,739
    Liked
    40 times
    Reggae singer Max Romeo got to #10 with "Wet Dream" in 1969 despite the record being banned by the BBC. Max claimed the song was

    about a leaky roof!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member dpgmel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,459
    Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wadsy View Post
    Reggae singer Max Romeo got to #10 with "Wet Dream" in 1969 despite the record being banned by the BBC. Max claimed the song was

    about a leaky roof!!
    ....and if I remember correctly the BBC wouldn't mention the title so when Alan Freeman did the chart rundown he refered to it as "... a record by Max Romeo ".

  7. #7
    Senior Member moonfleet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,659
    Liked
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinrich View Post
    Historically, those who censor always end-up on the losing side.
    Another song banned by English television was this gorgeous French melody:
    It was censored for a while in France too IIRC.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,686
    Liked
    107 times
    The worse has to be the execrable "My Ding-A-Ling" by Chuck Berry.
    Successful for him ( a novelty No. 1) but a lamentable record.

  9. #9
    Senior Member dpgmel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,459
    Liked
    137 times
    As it's another jubilee year :

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtUH2YSFlVU

  10. #10
    Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,269
    Liked
    85 times
    Birmingham Six by the Pogues was banned by the IBA. I remember Paul Boateng discussing it on Question Time around the time of its release in the late 80s and quoting the lyrics much to the discomfort of evryone else on the programme.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,739
    Liked
    40 times
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dfqtyL_9-4

    Mmmm! This thread is a good excuse to play this (banned) classic again!!

  12. #12
    Senior Member dpgmel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,459
    Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wadsy View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dfqtyL_9-4

    Mmmm! This thread is a good excuse to play this (banned) classic again!!
    Any excuse , but who's complaining

  13. #13
    Senior Member moonfleet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,659
    Liked
    144 times
    Was this song of Renaud about Margaret Thatcher censored in the UK ?? I wonder

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LohnbmgLSb0

    and the very rare english version...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NhzTdyZOxY&feature=related
    Last edited by moonfleet; 21-05-12 at 12:31 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,472
    Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward G View Post
    The worse has to be the execrable "My Ding-A-Ling" by Chuck Berry.
    Successful for him ( a novelty No. 1) but a lamentable record.
    Who banned that? I can remember watching him performing it on TotP, with the audience all sitting with little finger-bells, and shaking them at the appropriate moments. I think the girls shook one way, the boys another, and then at the end everyone shook them together......

    I remember my mother thought it quite amusing too much George Formby as a child I imagine....

  15. #15
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10,453
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Moor Larkin View Post
    Who banned that? I can remember watching him performing it on TotP, with the audience all sitting with little finger-bells, and shaking them at the appropriate moments. I think the girls shook one way, the boys another, and then at the end everyone shook them together......

    I remember my mother thought it quite amusing too much George Formby as a child I imagine....
    Mary Whitehouse wasn't happy about it, I seem to remember. But then again, she was probably only happy when she wasn't happy about things . . .

  16. #16
    Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,605
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward G View Post
    The worse has to be the execrable "My Ding-A-Ling" by Chuck Berry.
    Successful for him ( a novelty No. 1) but a lamentable record.
    Not only did that tripe devalue the catalogue of one of the true pioneers of Rock 'n' Roll, it kept Slade's majestic "Gudbuy T'Jane" off the top of the charts!

    Outrageous!!!




    Those loveable moptops weren't beyond the admonishing censorship of Auntie Beeb:

    "I Am The Walrus", "A Day In The Life", "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" and "The Ballad Of John & Yoko" all fell foul of the guidelines at one time or another, then there was McCartney's "Give Ireland Back To The Irish" and "Hi Hi Hi", plus Lennon's "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and even "Imagine" (during the Gulf War, apparently)

  17. #17
    Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,472
    Liked
    120 times
    Paul McCartney had his "Give Ireland back to the Irish" single banned, but I'm not sure which colour government it would have been then. I have to say they did a good job, because I don't believe I have ever heard it in my life. His regal status nowadays just goes to show the British Establishment doesn't bear a grudge anyhow.

    Last edited by Moor Larkin; 21-05-12 at 12:47 PM. Reason: a ditty ditto with Tonch

  18. #18
    Senior Member moonfleet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,659
    Liked
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonch View Post


    Those loveable moptops weren't beyond the admonishing censorship of Auntie Beeb:

    ... "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"
    So, was it intented to mean LSD ?? I don't know the final word

  19. #19
    Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,739
    Liked
    40 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Moor Larkin View Post
    Paul McCartney had his "Give Ireland back to the Irish" single banned, but I'm not sure which colour government it would have been then. I have to say they did a good job, because I don't believe I have ever heard it in my life. His regal status nowadays just goes to show the British Establishment doesn't bear a grudge anyhow.

    He also had "HI Hi Hi" banned & the b side "C Moon" became a hit instead.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Country: Ireland jimw1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,642
    Liked
    396 times
    Quote Originally Posted by moonfleet View Post
    So, was it intented to mean LSD ?? I don't know the final word
    I believe the Title was taken from a Picture John Lennon's son' Julian' did of a School friend Named Lucy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Innes Book Of Records
    By scenesixty in forum British Television
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-06-15, 02:45 PM
  2. Old Comedy Records
    By bhowells in forum Radio Talk
    Replies: 276
    Last Post: 01-06-15, 10:27 AM
  3. Local cinema records
    By drumbeg in forum New Users
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 19-01-10, 10:17 AM
  4. Actors Who Make Records
    By Freddy in forum Actors and Actresses
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 17-02-09, 08:41 PM
  5. Dirty Records
    By Ascoyne D'Ascoyne in forum Home Entertainment Equipment
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 24-10-07, 06:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts