Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    137 times
    Good to see that Network are continuing to release these volumes . Scant details for this one at the moment other than it features amongst others Patrick McGoohan, Stanley Baker, Billie Whitelaw etc and is due on the 20th August.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    Great news...how do we find out which plays are on it I wonder?

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dpgmel View Post
    Scant details for this one at the moment other than it features amongst others Patrick McGoohan....
    An official outing for The Man Out There I would guess. That one has been widely available on the Spanish Main for quite some time.

The list of directors is no clue since Charles Jarrott directed The Man Out There whilst Ted Kotcheff directed The Greatest man in the World.

The Greatest Man in the World however would be a coup to make me go Coo!
    and make the moths fly........

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Fingers crossed that the Alun Owen / Charles Jarrott combo could be The Rose Affair in which Naunton Wayne adds bowls to his portfolio of sporting accomplishments . It was shown at the NFT a few years back so there must be a decent print available.

Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    Fingers crossed that the Alun Owen / Charles Jarrott combo could be [URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055387/"]The Rose Affair
    If that is the case then my moths shall cry, F-r-e-e-d-o-m and I shall be the happiest man in the world.......

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Moor Larkin View Post
    If that is the case then my moths shall cry, F-r-e-e-d-o-m and I shall be the happiest man in the world.......
    Finally something we can agree on I think it's quite likely actually - it's got its own Screenonline page and everything

Liked
    120 times
    It seems to be 3 discs and 10 hours ....

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Going by the filmographies of the actors and directors credited, I think three of the plays must be:

The Criminals (the only one Stanley Baker was in, not to be confused with his film The Criminal)

Afternoon of a Nymph (Janet Munro's only surviving play, with soon-to-be husband Ian Hendry)

The Paraffin Season, by Donald Churchill (Joss Ackland's other appearance in the series is lost)

I have a feeling that Ted Kotcheff is represented by the long-awaited Lena O My Lena (shown on Channel 4 many years ago), as Billie Whitelaw is among the star names. Charles Jarrott's contribution might be The Man Out There. I hope so because cult favourites Clifford Evans and Katharine Blake are in it as well as Patrick McGoohan. Or perhaps it's The Trouble with Our Ivy, with Dandy Nichols? I'd like to see that again too.

The Criminals is one of the plays as that's all that's left of director James Ferman's Armchair Theatre output. Susannah York? No hope for her first four appearances, unfortunately, while The Creditors - her last - was in the previous collection. Therefore, it's either I Took My Little World Away, co-starring Gary Watson and John Ronane, or The Importance of Being Earnest, which has an even greater cast. The former is actually in my Top 10 DVD wish list and was broadcast a week before I was born (as I keep reminding myself ).

Particularly pleased about the inclusion of The Paraffin Season, assuming I'm right. Possibly Tessa Wyatt's TV debut. Donald Churchill's doing well in this series, isn't he?!

The Name's the Same

His wife Pauline Yates was in that play - as Helen Penfold! ITC fans will be familiar with that name from dozens of end credits (as
    Hairdresser/stylist), notably The Saint. In fact her only joint credit with Donald is the very first episode, The Talented Husband.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 24-05-12 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Improved writing.

Liked
    492 times
    If HMV are correct one of them is A Night Out

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    Which is Judy Cornwell's play I am asking myself? Fantastic if it was Poor Cherry or Wind in A Tall Paper Chimney. as I already have Call Me Daddy thanks to a kind forum member.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    I bet its Call Me Daddy, which I already have - still, how nice to see official releases for these at last!

Liked
    120 times
    The Man Out There after all......
    I should be happy..... I'm just a spoiled brat........

Last edited by Moor Larkin; 28-05-12 at 05:29 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    What a great cover

Liked
    137 times
    Yes fab cover, where did you find it Moor ?

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I'm convinced the actor in the top picture is Rodney Bewes in The Night Before the Morning After, by Jack Rosenthal. His only other appearance was in the lost play The Irish Boys, as a Barman. The title refers to the eve of his character's wedding to Julia Foster, who he also appeared with in one of the Love Story productions selected for the long-awaited DVD. He's obviously wearing a groom's hat, as well as pyjamas, in the still.

Just as certain that's Norman Rossington, bottom left. Miraculously, all five of Norman's Armchair Theatre appearances exist in the archives, the last of which was on Volume 1 (Will Amelia Quint ...). I've already suggested The Paraffin Season and this seems the most likely, in view of Joss Ackland's inclusion in the set, and two other Donald Churchill plays are on each of the previous collections. But as Norman is on the cover this must be a leading role. Maybe it's A Tune on the Old Tax Fiddle? That was directed by Charles Jarrott as well.

The stars in the other photos appear to be Stanley Baker (The Criminals), Janet Munro and Ian Hendry (Afternoon of a Nymph), and Patrick McGoohan (The Man Out There).

Liked
    137 times
    All the speculation can now cease full details on the link :

http://www.networkdvd.net/product_in...oducts_id=1605

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Dean Williams's Avatar
    Liked
    16 times
    The Judy Cornwell is Poor Cherry so it'll be nice to finally see that one. Just Wind In A Tall Paper Chimney to go...

Senior Member Country: Ireland Nimuae's Avatar
    Liked
    34 times
    Definitely one for my wish list !

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dpgmel View Post
    All the speculation can now cease full details on the link :

http://www.networkdvd.net/product_in...oducts_id=1605
    No Rose Affair ? .

Liked