Thread: WWII film

Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    One of those films you remember seeing 25 years ago on daytime tv - originally probably BBC2 and subsequently C4.

I can remember that it is a b&w WWII film (either 40s or 50s) concerning spies or the resistance and set in France or one of the occupied countries. I can't remember for sure if it follows a team of SOE agents into enemy territory or is just solely about a foreign resistance group.

The only other key thing i remember is that at the end of the film there is a fight with the Germans at a boathouse and agents drop down through a hole in the floor to a boat waiting below on a river.

It has the feel/look of OSS or 13 Rue Madeleine.
    Sketchy i know (isn't it always!) but maybe you can throw some ideas about and something may click.

Thanks,
    Mark.

Junior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    good evening

not quite exactly right but 'we dive at dawn' 1943 john mills has similar scene at end where they are refuelling submarine in danish harbour.

thanks

ss

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    The heroes of One of Our Aircraft is Missing climb down to a boat, sail out to the Channel and are picked up by Roland Culver (presumably every SOE agent's dream ). Though the heroes are RAF boys, there's a lot of resistance action lead by Googie Withers.

Otherwise the obvious SOE-type films are Secret Mission (which is completely bonkers) and Against the Wind (which I can't remember the ending of)

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    Against the Wind doesn't involve a boathouse or a boat on a river. There are scenes of a pick-up chase and that does involve a bridge over a river in Belgium, but nothing remotely resembling the OP's request.

Nick

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Edge of Darkness fits some of the description, set in a Norwegian fishing village, the locals rise up against the occupying German Forces. It was made in 1943 and stars Errol Flynn.

Liked
    14 times
    Thanks for all the sugestions. I do wonder if i am getting the scene mixed up (as it is such a long time since seeing the film) - if maybe the boat scene is in one film and the SOE part of it is from something else

Thanks for the suggestions anyway. I'll keep watching as many old b&w war/spy films as possible

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by markrgv View Post
    The only other key thing i remember is that at the end of the film there is a fight with the Germans at a boathouse and agents drop down through a hole in the floor to a boat waiting below on a river.
    There is a scene (like the one you describe above) in Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror (1942) which was part of the Rathbone/Bruce Universal Holmes film series, there are Nazi agents in the film, in the YouTube Video below, watch from the 11.00 minute mark, Meade (Thomas Gomez) escapes through a trap door to a waiting speedboat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJQShZEGLHA

Liked
    14 times
    Thanks for the clip. Great film, but sadly not the one.

It was definitely the allies who did the escaping from German troops. I remember it as a smaller setting/room - with the door open in the middle of the floor.

But as i say, it's so long ago, i wonder if i'm mixing together various scenes from old films.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Fritz Lang's Cloak and Dagger (1946)?

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Betrayed (1954) was a resistance film and I can remember a gunfight near a boathouse near the end. It was in colour so a bit of a longshot.