Junior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all,

Just joined. I'm trying to find out the name and hopefully more details of a children's mystery/drama TV series that I remember from the late 70's. All I can remember is that it had a boy and a priest who investigate a mystery that I think had something to do with the stained-glass windows, or was it pictures, in the local church. It had a few episodes, well at least I can remember watching it after school for a few weeks anyway. I presume it ran for 30 mins or thereabouts. I know nothing else about it unfortunately...

Regards,
    Warren
    Australia

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    There was a British serial called "The Danedyke Mystery" based on Stephen Chance's novel "Septimus and the Danedyke Mystery" which was aired in the UK in 1979. Michael Craig played the Reverend Septimus Treloar. It doesn't quite match your description though and, in any case, I don't know whether it made it to Australia.

Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Coward View Post
    There was a British serial called "The Danedyke Mystery" based on Stephen Chance's novel "Septimus and the Danedyke Mystery" which was aired in the UK in 1979. Michael Craig played the Reverend Septimus Treloar. It doesn't quite match your description though and, in any case, I don't know whether it made it to Australia.
    The Australian Women's Weekly magazine TV guide lists it on the ABN2 channel in November 1980.

E.

Senior Member Country: UK jonpsych's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    There was a children's drama made in 1969 which is about an abandoned church in a derelict park which a group of children protect from various undesirables. The Battle of St George Without does not have a priest in it (as far as I remember) and I don't know how long it would have taken to get to Australia.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Well done Simon, and Euryale for tracking down the Australian broadcasts. The firrst episode is one of the selections on this DVD:

Look Back On 70s Telly - The Junior TV Times No. 3

Disappointingly, there was very little promotion for this series in the TVTimes, with no previews or even photographs to accompany the listings. Just a few details for each episode. The series began Sunday, 3rd June 1979:

Why is Mary Crowle [Fanny Rowe], organist at the Church of St. Mary, Danedyke attacked in the Relic Chapel?

The Rev. Septimus Treloar
    [Michael Craig], Rector of the Parish, but a former
    C.I.D. Detective Inspector, turns policeman again to try to solve the mystery.

The music for this new six-part drama series is by Alan Parker.

A World of Sport special interrupted its run on the 1st July but The Danedyke Mystery returned on the 8th and ended one week later.

On the eve of the first episode, the Daily Express included an interview with Michael Craig, who is pictured with Sara the Great Dane. It says that in the story they pursue villains who have stolen a silver chalice. Does this ring any bells?

Liked
    0 times
    You guys are great!

That is it. I'm obviously wrong about the boy, but it was Michael Craig now that I remember.

Now, where can I get hold of a copy if it exists.....

Thanks to you all.

Warren
    In OZ

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    'Noddy', the boy may have been Adrian Delaney, the only name I don't recognise in IMDb's IMDb cast. The Danedyke Mystery is his only credit and a lot child actors have a habit of not being as good/natural or simply 'disappearing' once that phase of their life is over.

Still looking for more information on this obscure series.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    'Noddy', the boy may have been Adrian Delaney, the only name I don't recognise in IMDb's IMDb cast. The Danedyke Mystery is his only credit and a lot child actors have a habit of not being as good/natural or simply 'disappearing' once that phase of their life is over.

Still looking for more information on this obscure series.
    You may be right about Adrian Delaney, though I can't picture him at the moment. The only sidekick I can remember was Angie who was played by a ridiculously young, and very short-haired, Tessa Peake-Jones.

Delaney has one other credit that I'm aware of - as Peter Robbins in one episode of Granada's 1981 serial Dear Enemy.

Liked
    0 times
    Hey again,

Haven't managed to find a video copy of this anywhere. But I stumbled across another show I thought I forgot "The Children of Green Knowe". The 4 part series is available on Youtube. I even dug out the book which was hidden away. Then found the more recent movie "From Time to time", which was based on the 2nd book by Lucy Boston "The Chimneys of Green Knowe".

Noddy