Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England John Llewellyn Moxey's Avatar
    Liked
    45 times
    Extras are an important key to those of us who have made Films. Where would we be without them. Give them a seperate catergory if you want to, BUT DO NOT IGNORE THEM.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    Absolutely. These people need some recognition. My Mum worked at the Beeb with many a great extra such as Pat Gorman, Harry Fielder and Desmond Cullum Jones, and she said they were often the heart and soul of the organisation.

And apart from anything else, other than maybe surrendering to the autistic propensity for list-making which I know I have, and which probably means other obsessive film buffs have it too, the 'point' of these threads is to try and honour people whose work, even as a 'dolly bird', created part of the British film aesthetic, and whose oft-forgotten life stories are part of a fascinating tapestry.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Well said, the last few posters. I've had similar thoughts to you about some of those threads Dave, but actually hadn't considered the extreme emotions they provoke. I think you've made a great point there. A lot of people want to tell us who they really love, or really HATE (is there an inbetween, or a constructive way of Getting to Know a hitherto-unfamiliar actor?). No real problem with the former, especially when the likes of didi-5 and billy farmer are trying to raise the profile of lesser-known actors with decent tributes, but for the past year or so it's got totally ridiculous at the (main) Dirk Bogarde thread.

Am I the only one to think they're determined to keep the star at the top of the Actors and Actresses part of the forum, no matter how trivial the latest entry? I've disassociated myself from that thread now, convinced that the latest capture is likely to show a slight change of expression than the one before. In fairness to Ray, the Barbara Stanwyck fan, he is interested in other threads, while it's become very clear indeed that certain members have not bookmarked the Britmovie Forum, with all its variety, but solely Dirk Bogarde's place. Nothing else matters to most of them. I certainly feel I've lost Elaine's early enthusiasm for my posts.

Even if the worst happens, I shall take great comfort that a few here are on the same wavelength. Thank you very much for that.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 20-08-12 at 06:45 PM.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    Nice thread CS - hopefully we'll be able to put some names to faces that have hitherto been uncredited or we know very little about.

Senior Member Country: Ireland seanflynn76's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    Personally I would like to see this topic kept open. The way I see it is that if your not interested in reading a particular topic, then don't. I'm all for learning something new about the film industry no matter what the subject matter and that's what makes this website and forum so great. And I have to hand it to you Cornershop, with your postings you've pulled out some interesting gems.

Liked
    2 times
    Has anyone heard of Shireen Folkard who died this year?, she was a model for some 20 years from the 60's to early 80's (there are some pics on google) . She was also Guy Ritchie's stepmum. I thought that she may turn up in this thread sometime, i'd love to find out if she did any uncredited acting (i'm sure she was never credited).

Liked
    177 times
    Many Thanks for your replies, and especially to Freddy for coming up with the idea of a sub-forum to accomodate our Extras.

An excellent subject, philly. I'm so sorry to learn of Shireen's recent death. My condolences to friends and family. I see you created a thread for her a few weeks ago where we can pay further tribute. Hopefully, that will include at least one identification from a film or TV show, if she appeared in any. This is all I've found in the newspaper archives so far:

Shireen Folkard in The Daily Express, 25th October 1965

WHO wants to wed a millionaire? Dancer Shireen Folkard does. But 20-year-old Shireen is in no hurry just yet.

She has been busy demonstrating the latest dance crazes in a London night club. Now she wants to become a
    top photographic model with the most famous face of 1966. THEN she wants to capture that millionaire husband.

Meanwhile, Shireen sits on a seat in London's Holland Park, dreaming of her two wishes.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 21-08-12 at 12:49 PM.

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post

This thread is on its way to being closed down as pointless. It's really just another of tne of the "name this extra" threads and we've already got enough of those

Steve
    I would like to see this topic kept open as well Steve,this is more than just an Ogle/Gawp at thread and may help a lot of members who want to know a particular actress's name is etc etc.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst_Isle View Post
    I would like to see this topic kept open as well Steve,this is more than just an Ogle/Gawp at thread and may help a lot of members who want to know a particular actress's name is etc etc.
    If you notice, it's been put into the "Extras" sub-category below the "Actors and Actresses" category along with other categories that are mainly about identifying extras

Steve

Liked
    2 times
    Thanks cornershop for the Shireen Folkard info, a dancer prior to modelling was not mentioned in any obits, a greater chance of appearing in film or tv maybe. She eventually got her wish marrying wealthy John Ritchie in 1982.

Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by philly View Post
    Thanks cornershop for the Shireen Folkard info, a dancer prior to modelling was not mentioned in any obits, a greater chance of appearing in film or tv maybe. She eventually got her wish marrying wealthy John Ritchie in 1982.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...-Brompton.html

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    Many Thanks for your replies, and especially to Freddy for coming up with the idea of a sub-forum to accomodate our Extras.

Liked
    177 times
    Thanks again for your replies. I'm sure philly is right about models and dancers being chosen to add a touch of glamour to film and TV productions. Some do go on to better things you know. I've already mentioned Rita Hayworth, who if I remember rightly began her movie career as a dancer in Dante's Inferno. And I know Joanna Lumley and Suzys Parker and Kendall started out as models.

I didn't want to repost captures of glamorous 'Who are these people?' subjects at this (hopefully) early stage, so I was
    pleased to be reminded of this lady in my screencap folder for Department S episode Who Plays the Dummy? [not her]:

Looks like my beloved Billie Whitelaw, doesn't she? My goodness. In her one brief scene, she merely smiles at Jason King
    (Peter Wyngarde), who thinks he's 'scored' again but is disappointed to see her also-uncredited boyfriend take her away.

Again, I get the impression this may be a Foreign actress whose understanding of English was not so good. Does it depend on the amount of screen time given? Italian Daniela Bianchi was the leading lady in From Russia with Love but her voice was dubbed by Barbara Jefford. The Department S lady, who appears to be a bit older than the other girls featured here, is only required to flirt for a few seconds. Despite having nothing to add but a smile, I'd still like to know who she is. Guest star Kate O'Mara, not lacking in glamour herself, had rather more to do.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 24-08-12 at 10:10 PM.

Liked
    177 times
    Yet another ITC girl, seen here in The Baron episode Samurai West. Directed by John (Llewellyn) Moxey in July 1965:

Embittered Raymond Huntley, whose office is next door to hers, avoids being seen as he sets off to kill Lee Montague.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 29-08-12 at 03:00 PM. Reason: 1965, not 1966.

Senior Member Country: England John Llewellyn Moxey's Avatar
    Liked
    45 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    Yet another ITC girl, seen here in The Baron episode Samurai West. Directed by John (Llewellyn) Moxey in July 1966:

Embittered Raymond Huntley, whose office is next door to hers, avoids being seen as he sets off to kill Lee Montague.
    Happy memoties...Thank You!

Liked
    177 times
    You sure worked with some beautiful women, John ...

Mystery brunette in two episodes of 'The Baron'?

I posted this screencap from your brilliant Samurai West recently. No doubt Gerald's right that the man is Peter Brace:

The uncredited couple are walking past leading man Steve Forrest's antique shop, where they miss the lurking Larry Taylor!

Is this the same lady? Another viewing of the equally impressive Diplomatic Immunity last night has got me wondering :

Originally posted at 'Anyone recognise this actor?'. She plays an Air Stewardess in the pre-credit sequence and has a few lines.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 20-09-12 at 10:32 PM.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Odeon68's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Please keep this thread going, as I reckon 'dolly birds' were an important ingredient of 60s/70s UK screen entertainment.....they deserve a thread of their own!

Senior Member Country: England Owlett's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Of course by no means the principal villain (as there has been a call and a roster for such since the silents - i.e. the bottle-blond era) I associate 'dolly birds' firstly with the 'Carry-on/Confessions of' style of films which ever more particularised the 'role'. It's clear that an inverted career arc to that of the model/dancer-gets-noticed-in-'eye-candy'-role-and-becomes-serious-actress transpired - much to the regret of any number of presumably schooled actresses who perhaps had sought a serious career in drama, who found that they were being contracted for other talents apart from their diction/stagecraft/etc.

Liked
    177 times
    Very belated Thanks to Odeon and Owlett. Although I prefer stars with a theatrical background, I always hope that those who started out as extras or models can give a good account of themselves on screen. In my opinion, Sue Lyon (as Lolita) and Tippi Hedren (Marnie) were both excellent in their eponymous roles, despite a lack of experience.

Regarding the fellas, I think the same applies to Tony Curtis and Rock Hudson. Laurence Harvey had a short spell at RADA, if memory serves, yet he was 'savaged' by the critics in just about every review I've read. There's more reason to be dismissive of actors and actresses who don't speak at all but I'm still curious to know more about them - even their names.

Due to yesterday's maintenance work at Photobucket, I couldn't upload new captures at other threads, so I decided to look for the
    earlier Unknown Dolly Bird images I posted at 'Who are these people?'. There have been many more since but this lady was the first:

This is from the Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) episode Whoever Heard of a Ghost Dying, filmed in October 1968.
    The mystery blonde approaches Randall (Mike Pratt) at a disco but he looks at his watch and decides to leave alone.

Liked
    177 times
    Wearysloth, I'm close to identifying one of your Unknown Dolly Birds from The Persuaders!. Watch this space.

In the meantime, does anyone recognise the lady watching hynotist Bryant Halliday's act in Devil Doll (1964)?:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast