Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I dont know if this film is allowed on here as it is Canadian but such an ENGLISH film, filmed in London and with a largely British cast. Sherlock Holmes vs jack the Ripper for those who haven't seen it.

I've jst watched it again and once again its knocked me sideways. Genuinely frightening, the recreation of Victorian London is eerie and menacing, Plummer and Mason are a gorgeously fond Holmes and Watson and the music is both unsettling and in the final credits beautiful. And the scene with Genevieve Bujold is absolutely heartbreaking. Any other fans of it out there? It was written by the mighty John Hopkins a brilliant and still underrated British writer.

Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pye View Post
    I dont know if this film is allowed on here as it is Canadian but such an ENGLISH film, filmed in London and with a largely British cast. Sherlock Holmes vs jack the Ripper for those who haven't seen it.

I've jst watched it again and once again its knocked me sideways. Genuinely frightening, the recreation of Victorian London is eerie and menacing, Plummer and Mason are a gorgeously fond Holmes and Watson and the music is both unsettling and in the final credits beautiful. And the scene with Genevieve Bujold is absolutely heartbreaking. Any other fans of it out there? It was written by the mighty John Hopkins a brilliant and still underrated British writer.
    Yes I for one

For my money one of the best Jack the Ripper films and Christopher Plummer IMHO has never been better

Senior Member Country: Ireland Nimuae's Avatar
    Liked
    34 times
    Sounds like one I should see - so have just orderd it from Amazon ! Thanks Pye !

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    The film adopts a Ripper theory which was popular at the time it was made, but has been discredited since. There are some good performances all round and Frank Finlay reprises his Inspector Lestrade from the earlier Holmes-Ripper film, A Study in Terror.
    Minor point, but annoying: considering the care taken to recreate the period, having Holmes wear a checked Inverness cape and deerstalker in town, even when he is going to the theatre in the evening, is plain daft.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Murder By Decree (one of my favourite Holmes films) is a UK/Canadian co-production so is fully deserving of it's inclusion in this section.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pye View Post
    I dont know if this film is allowed on here as it is Canadian but such an ENGLISH film,
    I'm tempted add that Christopher Plummer is such a British actor too......... I'm sure he'd be a Sir by now if he was. On the other hand, perhaps he had the offer, and because he's Canadian said Thanks but no Thanks to such flummery.....

Liked
    9 times
    Its James Mason as Watson which really adds to this film (although Plummer is excellent, and the deerstaker was pretty much expected by most audiences until relatively recently). His hurt tone at Holmes's solution to the problem of the last pea on the plate 'Holmes, you sqaushed my pea!' is pitch perfect. The film is one of my favourites, although the theory behind the story has long been debunked, as others have already pointed out.

Don't forget Donald Sutherland as Lees. Its almost a cameo, but very well done. Overall, an excellent cast, good script, and a real sense of the time and place. Its a shame a soundtrack has never been released.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    Murder by Decree is also one of my favourite Sherlock Holmes films, Christopher Plummer and James Mason were an excellent Holmes and Watson, Anthony Quayle (who played Sir Charles Warren in Murder by Decree) also appeared in the earlier Holmes/Ripper film A Study in Terror (1965), Anthony Quayle's character in A Study in Terror (another one of my favourite Holmes films) was called Doctor Murray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJIRu2pDE3I

Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    My favourite Holmes film.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    I had never heard of this one. It looks well worth seeing.

Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post
    I had never heard of this one. It looks well worth seeing.
    Oh it is Tim, excellent atmosphere ( very eerie ) and first rate acting. A gem

Senior Member Country: England mrs_emma_peel's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    Murder By Decree (one of my favourite Holmes films) is a UK/Canadian co-production so is fully deserving of it's inclusion in this section.
    I would echo Bats - the spendid cast too - is an excellent and virtually equal 50/50 mix of some the finest English and Canadian actors

It's my favourite and IMO the most intense and atmospheric of all the Sherlock Holmes films and on a par with the Granada/Jeremy Brett stories. The scene where Holmes uncovers the terrible fate of Mary Kelly (Susan Clark) is exceptionally powerful - and Holmes's later quietly compassionate, thunderingly passionate reaction speech is heartbreakingly poignant - brilliantly played by Christopher Plummer.

'We've unmasked madmen, Watson, wielding scepters. Reason run riot. Justice howling at the moon.'
    Emma
    Last edited by mrs_emma_peel; 24-08-12 at 06:49 AM.

Liked
    0 times
    Delighted to know other fans are out there. Those sets are so eerie and its all in all a very very frightening film. The guy playing Sir Thomas Spivey is very frightening looking, and the music goes from being very chilling to wonderfully moving.

Even though the theory is nonsense what the film does is take the idea and use it to tell a great story about the way corrupt politicians can feel no pain for the lowly if they think there is a greater good at stake. Very chilling.

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    I bought the DVD from Amazon recently and watched it tonight having only seen it on TV before. I really like the film but the transfer I have is pretty dire. I wonder if a really good one actually exists.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    An article about Murder By Decree, from issue 12 of the Sherlock Holmes Gazette (Summer 1995).